back to article Double blow for AMD as CPU brainiac jumps ship to rival Nvidia

AMD guru Phil Rogers has joined rival Nvidia. His move comes after AMD's top microprocessor architect Jim Keller quit in September, and another 500 staff at the company are facing the chop. Rogers left AMD this month to become Nvidia's compute server architect in Austin, Texas. He was with graphics chip biz ATI from October …

1. phil dude
    Coat

hmmm....

Austin, TX in November....a few Nvidia boxes on show there....

P.

1. mi1400

Re: hmmm....

What good does he or any of his pals has ever done while feeding at AMD !?! they are all intel's slaves and orphans finding temporary shelters and orphanages here and their.. what good this guy or his ancestors/cousins or other orphans at AMD have done or are doing to break free from enslavements or even somewhat innovate over Intel's ultrabook say making hyperbook. lemme quote the quickest story first and lengthier one next...

FIRST:

AMD is delivering graphics via MXM modules

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

MXM is no longer supplied freely by Nvidia but it is controlled by the MXM-SIG controlled by Nvidia. Only corporate clients are granted access to the standard. The MXM 2.1 specification is widely available

I have been reading on techsites who read between the lines that MXM is NVidia controlled and monopolised architecture... why is AMD sticking to it and is the reason that most of the laptops in world are fitted with nVidia instead AMD... dont know why they always something to fuck them .. sometime they seems to have developed taste for breadcrums from floor (my comments here http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/09/20/jim_keller_quits_amd/) and sometimes they seem to have developed psychological disease of self-inflicting-harm like sticking to MXM knowing they are being stabbed on this.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm

SECOND:

AMD ... Intel's intentionally brewed "Anticompetitiveness Manipulation Decoy"

An excerpt from my Dec 2, 2007 post...

I am personally an AMD Fanatic but AMD's lately Apple like reasoning have made me so disappointed, like ... Intel-like-Quadsicore approach is not an "Angelic" approach (recently Intel has spoken out on record that it was near impossible for AMD to solder two X2 like Intel beacuse of integrated HyperTransport etc) ... then AMD's stance that Phenom is also not an Angelic-way to empower notebooks. I usyually say AMD has developed taste for eating breadcrumbs from the floor. and perhaps Intel-AMD's 1999 secret agrement is hint/factor of why SSE4a lags SSE4.1 hence keeping AMD walking leaning-head behind Intel and thrusting ancient 4000+ X2 bases notebooks on Enthusiasts, this also confirmed their TDP charm is broken and was a myth. Intel has silently opened a new front in notebooks and AMD is still not getting out of Angel-ic/Apple-ish phobia. Rememebr when AMD had upper hand in Anthlons Vs Pentiums they put a patetion (Anthlons Pentiums Duel) on thier site for fans to sign in convincing Intel to show up with its Pentiums to get humiliated infront of whole world and the Flash video on amd.com did just that, now when the tables are turned Intel has not posted such patetion thing to call for it fans join the AMD-humiliation competition. I think we should abandon fanfare and become wise-customers thinking from brain not heart.

P.S:

Does anyone remember the AMD's MegaHertzigovinia (MegaHz-igovinia) video pun to Intel too ... anyone share an article on secret enslavement agreement where by AMD is bound to keep its SSE throttled behind Intel's SSE or was it related to floating point calculation throttling !?! ... anyway it is the true face of AMD and just an Intel's Decoy to keep anti-competitive monitoring courts shut up .. saying look we have shared the patents satisfying FRAND clauses and camera focuses AMD in court's corner where It's eating something from floor with diaper all filled with pee and feces .. looking toward Intel with all the gratitude to let it live no matter on these breadcrumbs.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Hmm. I would have thought there would be some form of non-compete

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nvidia is desperate

Nvidia has no HSA compatible anything and that is where the industry is moving. You can bet they will pump every bit of proprietary info. possible out of Rogers, in violation of law of course.

4. CarbonLifeForm

Yes, you'd think there'd be a non compete clause.

5. Ragequit
    Devil

Non compete

Article says he was at ATI since 1994. Odds are he wasn't forced to sign one back then and the more integral a person becomes to a company the harder it is to get them to sign one. If it's even legally possible without rehiring (or possibly during the merger). They'd likely have to try to force everyone in his department to sign it. Generally speaking HR policies have to be equally applied w/o running afoul of at least discrimination laws.

It's also a bit like trying to get the old ball and chain to sign a pre-nup after years of marriage just in case they decide to leave you to shack up with your enemy. Which is where the analogy fails because at that point you would probably wish them on your enemies.

Joking aside here's hoping AMD can make some sort of comeback but I feel like they're betting everything on one last strategy. If this Zen processor refresh fails to at least get them out of the red then they're not going to be in a position to entice/rehire experienced engineers for another try. At which point I wouldn't be surprised to see further company grooming/pruning to make themselves an attractive acquisition.

6. N13L5

I think AMD needs to split off ATI into a separately operating division soon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like