back to article I have one thing to say to MacBook users at EMC: Whoops

Here are a few of my thoughts on Dell's announcement that it plans to buy EMC. 1. In a world where IT companies have been busy splitting themselves up – think HP, Symantec, IBM all divesting from server business – it seems a brave move to build a new IT behemoth. 2. However, some of the restructuring already announced hints …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS FaceBook?

"For full coverage" link goes to FaceBook?

And here I thought ElReg was a NEWS site for IT Pros, rather than a circle jerk spaf fest designed to redirect us to places like FarceBook for "news".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FFS FaceBook?

I've no idea where Facebook is linked unless they've changed it in the last hour. That link here does a search on this site and turns up, for now, twelve articles.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

No, it doesn't go to Facebook.

Calm down, man.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I never even bothered to click it (what with the original poster (who is not me) saying it was garbage FB) before throwing out the snark about millennials. Duly withdrawn.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> No, it doesn't go to Facebook.

The link may not go to Facebook, but...

1. Delete all cookies

2. Enable ad-blocker

3. Re-load page

4. Examine cookies: note cookie from 'facebook.com'

Something is going to Facebook. Perhaps my laptop is compromised?

4. An ominous cow heard

Re: "For full coverage" link goes to FaceBook?

This is the URL I get under "for full coverage":

http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=%22EMC%2FDell+deal%22&advanced=1&psite=0&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&site=0&results_per_page=20

No obvious Facebook there, nor in the first few results it returns.

Firefox, Windows 7, no blockers (for this experiment).

2. Mage Silver badge
    Trollface

EMC guys who transitioned away from using Dell laptops to various MacBooks

Apple may phase out OS X in favour of ARM based iOS anyway ...

Look how much control Apple has over their new Keyboard/pen/Tablet (iOS) vs MAC OS X users?

Look at % of revenue and profit from Apple ARM vs Apple intel Products?

Note I was saying this LONG before Apple's KeyTab MaxiPad came out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EMC guys who transitioned away from using Dell laptops to various MacBooks

Apple may phase out OS X in favour of ARM based iOS anyway

May we have some recent citation please?

Ironically Apple released some new iMacs today.

The numbers of Macs being sold year on year is IMHO increasing. If MS could see those numbers/profit on their new laptop then Apple might begin to worry.

If/when will Adobe make full blown Photoshop (and the rest of their products) work on iOS? If they do that then what you are saying might be true.

As for me, my 15in MBP runs faster than any PC I've ever known. Every laptop should be using PCI-E Storage.

1. Naselus

"The numbers of Macs being sold year on year is IMHO increasing."

May we have a recent citation on that, too, please?

Apple's own stats generally show Mac sales hovering around 5mil /quarter worldwide for the past 5 years... compared to >70 million Windows-based computers per quarter. The OS market share figures still basically have Apple's total users at roughly the same number as those still using basic, hated Win 8 (not 8.1).

That said, I agree that Apple probably won't attempt to merge iOS and OSX - there's no particularly good reason to do so, and frankly O/Ses for desktops and O/Ses for phones need to do different things. If IoT takes off, I'm going to have a processor sat in my toaster. That doesn't mean I really want it running Windows 10, though.

1. jelabarre59

> ...If IoT takes off, I'm going to have a processor sat in my toaster. That doesn't mean I really want it running Windows 10, though.

Yeah, well I wouldn't want the processors in my desktop or laptop computers running MSWin10 either...

2. jason 7

"Ironically Apple released some new iMacs today."

Yes and they are just as dull and boring as the previous 5+ iterations. How much effort Apple?

Lazy! You'd think Apple doesn't care about Macs...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm... No.

Like killing the design tool that creates those apps for the C-suite's shiny-shinies toys is a rational choice for a firm that's been building their own enterprise story is bright. And God forfend trying to pry their OS/X machines from the artsy types. Then try to tell VMware to cut Fusion loose. That's a trifecta that just says NO.

I don't have any patience with Macs but even I can recognize death grips when I see them.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Ummm... No.

Don't count on common sense prevailing.

The people who actually need OSX on x86 (artsy types, app devs, some scientists, etc) is a comparatively small part of the market. Some of them already use hackintoshes anyway (app devs).

Most users wouldn't even notice. If apple did launch an ARM laptop which was cheaper then it would dominate. The x86 range could become very expensive...

4. Stevie

Bah!

This time next year. And they blinded us with apliiiiiiiiance (Appliance!), and thrilled us with security.

Well, y'gotta dream.

5. Blake St. Claire
    Holmes

It's apparently really hard

> just shows how hard it is to transition from a hardware company to a software company.

I interviewed for a position at EMC back in 1994. They were looking at Microsoft and desperately wanted to be a software company. (I didn't take the job.) In the intervening years I interviewed at a variety of companies – some were software companies, some were hardware companies. At every one I asked the same question: why {software,hardware}? Unilaterally they all said the same thing: we make a XX% markup on {software,hardware}, we can't come close to that in {hardware,software}. Years later I did take a job at EMC. They were still a hardware company. I don't see that changing under Dell.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS/X to IOS

they seem to be merging, so as long as the followers want their OS/X or IOS the 2 brandings will continue.

Oh, why do follwers need citations for an opinion? Feed the dummies?

As to Dell, they are obviously scrambling for direction in a mobile consumer world.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like