back to article El Reg keeps pushing Apple's buttons – its new Magic Keyboard

Sometimes Apple's timing is just right. Its "magic keyboard" has been due a refresh and literally last week, your humble hack's keyboard stopped working. It's hard to tell what precisely has gone wrong, but it is definitely something to do with the connection from the two AA batteries that the keyboard used to power itself. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Wrist ache is bad

I feel a public service announcement is in order. If your wrists ache using a keyboard, you're either using it wrong or it is not designed properly. Don't ignore the symptoms!

Feeling that a few days' wristache is the price to pay for getting used to a new keyboard is slippery ground. The only pain you should feel is when the function keys don't work or they move Caps and Ctrl around. Or (Mac pet peeve) there's no Delete key.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Wrist ache is bad

"my wrists are not happy: a slight ache has already begun. But that happens whenever you get a new keyboard, your hands have to get used to it."

I suppose this only applies to folk that just use one keyboard all the time. Those of us that do a lot of typing and might use several, even dozens, of different keyboards in a normal day won't know about this strange affliction.

Never felt pain using keyboards, ever.

1. jzl

Re: Wrist ache is bad

@werdsmith, so because it's never happened to you it doesn't exist?

Right.

A more plausible reason you never get wrist ache is that your wrists are unusually well exercised.

2. fruitoftheloon
      Pint

@Ann: Re: Wrist ache is bad

Ann,

Yup, couldn't agree with you more, aeons ago (I had hair), I stuffed up my right wrist/lower arm using a rodent & 'normal' keyboard.

After replacing them with an Apple Adjustable Keyboard (Ebay - yay!) and a Wacom tablet all was/is well...

Trouble is the ADB to USB adaptor and (replacement) Wacom tablet don't play nice with Win 8.1 and I cannor afford to replace them.

Have one on me.

Cheers,

Jay.

2. Notas Badoff

"So, overall, an improvement."

"And so, $99 later, ..."

"You charge it with a Lightning connector same as your iPhone." (you need another cable on your desk)

"So far it feels worse, but then that may be a matter of getting used to it."

"But that happens whenever you get a new keyboard, your hands have to get used to it."

"Taken together, the new keyboard requires a small adjustment in how you lay out your desk."

"The first part of that has worked; the second, not so much."

"... so it's not possible to change any of the settings."

"... but the auto-sync hadn't worked and required manual connection and syncing (by pressing specific identified buttons)."

"The function keys have gone haywire."

"Of course it's hard to troubleshoot because the keyboard doesn't appear in System Preferences."

"... you need to be running the latest version of Mac OS X – El Capitan."

"Four out of five stars."

?

Was this supposed to be satire? Or an accurate representation of cultism (that I keep hearing brought up)?

Or was this quote the most accurate commentary: "What the hell is going on?"

1. Sebastian A

Re: "So, overall, an improvement."

He's only trying to prevent a DMCA takedown or lawsuit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re. What the hell is going on?

You need to recalibrate your baselines.

This is a fruity device with St. Ives styling and an ordained Fanboi had the temerity to give it *only* 80%!!

Heresy. People have been excommunicated (from the App Store) for less!!

Wrist ache should be a welcome soul purifying penance. Function? It is an Ikon!! Its function is to inspire, nourish the soul and provide a symbolic focus for devotion. Judging it in terms of efficient text entry is like judging a Holy Chalice in terms of utility as a coffee cup!!

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Notas Badoff, you beat me to the punch! Still, I believe what is missing is a bit of perspective. For instance, when the reviewer states "But that happens whenever you get a new keyboard, your hands have to get used to it," perhaps what was meant was that the last time he switched Apple keyboards, the new one caused much more pain than this one did during the transition. That counts as an improvement. Likewise, the now-defunct keyboard cost $85 when purchased which equates to $120 in today's money after being adjusted for inflation, so again a significant improvement. The requirement to run the latest version of OS X and the need to use a physical connector both encourage increased security: another big win for the customer. See? It really is that much better than the last model.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

....and it still hasn't got a numeric keypad.

It should be impossible for a keyboard so deficient to get more than 3 out of 5 stars, even if it worked perfectly.

1. VinceH

As far as I'm concerned, you just have to look at it.

Start with the assumption that the perfect keyboard would get five out of five, and a very good one would get four out of five, and accept the latter as a starting point. No numerical keypad? Deduct one - so now it's three out of five. Ridiculously flat? Deduct another one - so now it's two out of five. Problems getting it working correctly/requiring a baseline OS for a keyboard? Deduct another one - one out of five.

It has to score at least one because you can (albeit uncomfortably and/or painfully) type with it.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

This. You need the latest OS version to get a keyboard to work? WTF?

1. joejack

> "You need the latest OS version to get a keyboard to work?"

No. You need the latest OS to get it to automagically pair via bluetooth when plugging it in.

Otherwise you can manually pair, as with other bluetooth keyboards.

2. GregWoods

"No numeric keypad, deduct one"??

Unless you're an accountant, the lack of numeric keypad is the only thing to like about apple keyboards Why? Because for a right-handed person, removing the numpad brings the mouse closer to the keyboard. Speedier transitions and a lot less wrist strain.

The only problem with removing the numpad is that it is only done when trying to make the teeniest keyboard possible, so the designers always sacrifice the home, end, pgup, pgdown, delete keys - a bad mistake.

If you want a numeric keypad, go and buy a separate one, then you can decide where to put it, instead of inflecting its misery on the rest of us.

1. VinceH
            Facepalm

Re: "No numeric keypad, deduct one"??

"If you want a numeric keypad, go and buy a separate one, then you can decide where to put it, instead of inflecting its misery on the rest of us."

Funny. I'd have thought left handed people would have used the mouse with their left hand, so the location of the numeric keypad wouldn't affect them. I've no reason to assume this - even though I know a few lefties, I've never taken any notice of the layout of their desks. It just seems logical because dominant hand.

D'oh. I read your post as being about left handed people - but your comment is about right handed people.

Urm. Like me. Can't say I've ever had a problem with the numeric keypad being on the right and making the trip for my right hand to the mouse a problem, TBH, but YMMV.

2. GrumpenKraut
        Coffee/keyboard

It has the up/down arrows key merged into one. I wouldn't ever consider using it, even at a tenth of the cost.

From the article "it is small (which is nice)". Me: big keyboards are useful, small ones just look good. The keyboard has to correspond to the size of my hands and the size of my hands is fixed (modulo mutilation).

Icon for the aesthetic value of my keyboard.

5. greenawayr

Wowsers.

My HP keyboard came "free" with the PC, connects first time, inputs the correct characters when asked to, doesn't make my wrists hurt and looks as ugly as the rest of my kit.

I'll give it 20%

6. fruitoftheloon
      Thumb Up

@Notas: Re: "So, overall, an improvement."

Notas,

I wondered if it was just me...

My version(s) of the review:

- it is pretty, but fundamentally shit as it doesn't actually work properly

- when they get it to f'ing work, it might be quite good

Cheers,

Jay

7. Dan 55 Silver badge

I would have hoped that the review would have said at the very least that the keyboard cannot be recommended in its current state since it doesn't sync and the keyboard map's wrong and can't be fixed. And that's before we even begin to talk about RSI problems, it wouldn't be the first time that Apple makes something that's totally uncomfortable to use no matter how much time you give it (see Mighty/Magic mouse). We need an update in a few weeks when the inevitable software update and pain threshold update come out.

I'm also not too sure about the "my old shiny broke so I went out and bought this new shiny, and my old shiny has ended up as landfill in China". It would have been better just to get the battery compartment fixed on the old keyboard. Rechargable AAs last practically forever, then when they finally give up on you recycle them.

8. Avatar of They
      Pint

I did read the article and got the sense that is sounds crappy with so many problem that shouldn't be there."

A fair summary would be "it won't connect", "the PC can't find it when it finally connected", "It isn't that comfortable an angle" or "all the keys are doing odd things."

Then a 4 out of 5 is a bit fanboi territory.

9. Greg D

No, this is how Apple product users think.

So what if he gets RSI, or it's worse than the old one, or it doesn't have a numeric keypad, and is actually not very good for typing, as long as the thing looks good on his desk it's all good! (IMO it looks shit, but my opinion probably counts for little when it comes to Apple products).

1. Darryl
        Gimp

I have to assume that if it didn't hurt to use it, the keys actually produced the characters/actions that they were supposed to, it actually connected to the computer, and didn't cost as much as a half decent smartphone, the reviewer would have been forced to give it at least an 8 or 9 out of 5.

10. Nick Pettefar

Perhaps he's American?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not intended as a criticism..

..OK, but this is going to sound an awful lot like a criticism.

When you basically say that the keyboard made you feel pain, it didn't pass the "first start" test (in the VERY closed Apple ecosystem, to boot), and wasn't usable for you without a lot of intervention, I struggle to see where "an improvement" and 4/5 come from.

Each defect was generously qualified and dusted away as if dandelion spores on Aphrodite's marble bosom - "..but that is only to be expected" or "..its my own damned fault for cosseting my tendons for so many years!".

Perhaps a more succinct review..

"PRO - Enter characters in a style that is in keeping with the aesthetics of your rig with no requirement to change batteries for less than $100!

CON - May not enter the INTENDED characters. Physical pain. Aesthetics of the product not necessarily in keeping with the physical usage of the product. Trouble operating the device in wired mode. Trouble operating the device in wireless mode. Requires not-insignificant effort to allow the device to work with the vendor's own systems. Cant replace the battery (Ok, I am just assuming that's the case)! Nearly $100!"

..would make it much much easier to justify putting the device a mere twenty marks out of one hundred away from absolute perfection.

1. P. Lee

Re: This is not intended as a criticism..

Hey, it has an on/off switch. Surely that qualifies it as magic and revolutionary!

I have yet to understand how apple gets away with having a keypad and navigation keys as sn optional extra with no chance of bluetooth. Could they not at least have a micro USB underneath the keyboard so you can use a USB extension cable as a last resort for both charging and data entry. I guess the old keyboards were just lasting too long, with their replaceable batteries and other obsolete tech.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

WTAF?

I've been pushing keys on computers since they were big buttons with lights inside or punched holes into paper tape. I can't recall one that was as bad as this one sounds.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The others have said it already, and I agree.

A $100 keyboard that's worse than the old keyboard is not a 4/5 keyboard.

6. tojb
    FAIL

No hash key... wtf. If you open a terminal, you get bash. Ergo bash is the main scripting language.

If you are retarded you share your opinions on twitter, ergo twitter is the main web platform.

No hash key.

1. Cowboy Bob

No Hash Key

Alt-3 - Hash has always been here on all Apple keyboards for as long as I can remember

7. ardubbleyu
    FAIL

4 out of 5?

Sounds to me as if the thing doesn't work...

8. Barry Rueger

Wow. Just Wow.

For twenty years I've been buying the cheapest Logitech (or even no-name) keyboard I could find.

Wired, wireless, cheap, not so cheap, simple, or festooned with twenty five extra "media" buttons. I have never had any of the mechanical problems described.

Plug it in (or plug in the wireless receiver thingy) and it Just Works.

Seriously, Apple can't even make a keyboard??

A KEYBOARD?

1. jzl

Re: Wow. Just Wow.

They can make a keyboard. Witness the article. It's not a *good* keyboard, but it *is* a keyboard.

Apple's great strength is computers, phones, tablets and operating systems. All of which they do extremely well. They suck at keyboards.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Meh

... and mice.

2. dogged
      Facepalm

Even Microsoft make good keyboards.

Jesus.

9. MrWibble

It's Apple, so "it just works" as we've all been told.

Or maybe not...

10. John Robson Silver badge

4/5 - maybe

Does the key marked "1" produce the number "4" when pressed - that's the only excuse I can see for this score...

11. Mage Silver badge
    Facepalm

solved the problem by removing the batteries altogether in favor of a rechargeable one.

Stupid.

Only a portable phone / tablet needs wireless keyboard. The Rechargeable pack will have 9 month to 36 month life (it's a distribution curve, average is maybe over 2 year). Even wireless charging needs a wire somewhere between USB or Mains and charging gizmo.

12. jzl

Apple keyboards are sh!t

And always have been. Except the keyboards built in to their laptops (new Macbook not included).

I never understood using an Apple keyboard. There are loads of other makes available, many of which are superb, most of which include a forward delete button, and all of which work well with a Mac. So why use the Apple one?

Is it just to complete the look?

1. fruitoftheloon
      Happy

@jzl: Re: (modern) Apple keyboards are sh!t

Jzl,

Except the Apple Adjustable Keyboard, awesome design, the main bit splits on an adjustable (horizontal) axis, and the numeric pad/cursor key bit can go left or right of the main keyboard (granted most folk aren't ambidexturous, but 'lefties' would love it).

I think it is an awesome bit of FUNCTIONAL design, I imagine it was a huge commercial flop...

Cheers,

Jay

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple keyboards are sh!t

I have an old Apple ADB extended keyboard that once came with a 1991 Mac Classic, it is as good as any PC keyboard of that era, which makes it a fantastic piece of kit compared to modern keyboards.

Apple did make decent keyboards, before they let form take over from function.

I tend to use a 1994 big beige PC mechanical keyboard, with a cheap wireless Logitech keyboard & trackpad for when I want to PC on the TV.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

I used to use the old Adjustable Keyboard, which was excellent, but it eventually became a bit tired and worn out.

So, for the last several years, Ive been using the Matias Tactile Pro, which is based on the same mechanical switches at the old Apple Extended one. Frankly, at $50 more than this latest Magic one, I think it's worth the extra. Rather temped by their new Ergo Pro, which is a split design.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My Apple keyboard has a forward delete key.

Look

1. jzl

Some do. Yes. This new one doesn't.

13. AlanC

Best keyboard ever: the IBM 029 card punch

I've used many keyboards over the years, most of them IBM ones since I worked for the company for most of my career. However, I still think the best ever keyboard, in terms of feel and speed, was the 029 card punch. The keys had very little travel but made up for it with amazingly positive feedback as a huge electromagnet somewhere inside the machine punched one or more holes in the punched card. The feedback was very satisfying and allowed for extremely high speed, error-free typing - as was needed for the data entry tasks these machines were designed for.

As for Apple - I'm a fairly recent convert to Apple (after years of Linux, Windows and OS/2) and my 15" MBP Retina is by a very long way the best laptop I've ever used, taking into account the combination of hardware and software. But I still don't like the keyboard - especially the absence of a Delete key (I know fn-Backspace does it but it should be a dedicated key) and also the lack of PgUp and PgDn keys - not to mention the plethora of weird and wonderful shift/alt/ctrl/cmd keys that have to be used in unmemorable combinations at times.

14. Bronek Kozicki
    Coat

I was going ...

... to recommend to author my own keyboard which is Topre RealForce, but upon reading more I found that typing comfort is not what the author is looking for. Also switching to proper sized keyboard from a very low one might be difficult. Still, the recommendation stays for other readers.

1. dogged

Re: I was going ...

In that vein, I recommend the Das Keyboard professional model. I prefer Cherry Red switches so my co-workers don't lynch me but YMMV.

I do not work for Das Keyboard and am not affiliated with them in any way.

15. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    WTF?

Too thin

No key travel -> carpal tunnel syndrome on its way.

How can a device that has the mechanics of a £5 ebay keyboard, but in white with rounded corners be worth $99?

Now, if you want to spend money on a keyboard, get a proper one like an IBM Model M. I have one of the last UK ones, and it's great!

Here we go - ok, it's £8.99.....

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Too thin

"How can a device that has the mechanics of a £5 ebay keyboard, but in white with rounded corners be worth $99?"

Duh, the Apple logo of course.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, I have a wireless keyboard at home. No wire to pair it, just uses a small dongle. OK, that uses a USB port, still have a few left and a 5-way USB socket somewhere.

Uses normal batteries, 2 AA, I think, I've only replaced them once since we got it, about 4 years ago. No on/off switch though.

Full sized, good angle (and adjustable), numeric keypad, functions keys that function.

Cost about a third of the Apple one, but did come with a wireless mouse too.

The brand? Oh, that would be Microsoft.

17. Indolent Wretch

Sounds like classic Apple tech, designed to be glossy to the nth degree with absolutely no thought whatsoever as to what it's like to type on.

I love they've managed to get rid of the bulky batteries, the one thing that apparently was forcing the posing a-holes in apples design department to actually incline the keyboard to a useable degree.

My wife has a very similar keyboard from Logitech, looks the part next to a mac mini and the whole thing is solar powered.

18. GregC

The brand? Oh, that would be Microsoft.

No surprise there. Their keyboards and mice have always been pretty good.

That's two product lines out of how many....?

19. Fihart

Poor value, poor keyboard.

Not impressed with paying $100 for a keyboard that's no better than the one on a $300 laptop (and by the sounds of it perhaps worse).

Even small writing jobs are better done on a full sized keyboard -- for example the IBM PS/2.

And by contrast with author's Apple keyboard that died, the IBM I'm typing this on was built (in Scotland from girders) in 1990 and bought at a flea market.

1. jzl

Re: Poor value, poor keyboard.

... and doesn't have a Windows key (or Mac / Linux equivalent). Which is a particular problem if you're using a Mac - the Command key is very important in OS X.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

worse than the new £79 Magic Keyboard is

the New Magic Trackpad that is only £109

and perhaps the new Magic Mouse 2 that is only £65

so should you wish to outfit your £30 Raspberry Pi2 with BYOAppleDs,

the price would creep up slightly to around £283, plus display, cool.

21. Captain Scarlet

So what type of mechanical switch does this have?

Because for that price it better be a decent mechanical switch!

22. Greg D

This is quite easily the worst review I've ever read...

But also quite indicative of Apple culture and the weird reality their users place themselves in.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple used to care about ergonomics

Now it seems they're only ever interested in creating style over substance.

The updated keyboard appears to share the same, uncomfortable low-travel keys of the new Macbook. Wonder if the Macbook Pro replacement, that's supposedly arriving soon, will receive this unwelcome change?

24. Gene Cash Silver badge

Got mine right over there on the shelf

It was meant to be something portable to use, but with all the hassles and the horrible feel, it went up on a shelf. I haven't got around to tossing it in the trash.

Unlike the reviewer, I didn't go "oh the next one's gotta be better! Let's buy that!" and instead I realized Apple stuff is not suitable for purpose.

1. jzl

Re: Got mine right over there on the shelf

Apple stuff is generally suitable for purpose. You're taking your experience with a single keyboard and generalising to the entire output of the whole company?

Wow.

25. Darryl

This article is almost as good as the one I saw on CNet a few years ago in which the author had owned a Macbook of some sort which had burned out its logic board (or motherboard as the rest of the world calls it) twice in a few months. They then went out and bought a Toshiba or something and, after talking about it for a bit, actually said that they missed the 'reliability' of the Macbook! And I believe they were being serious.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Happy

Well, the motherboard of the Macbook DID reliably burn out. In contrast to the Toshiba.

26. thesykes

Magic?

Do Apple customers not feel ever so slightly stupid asking for "Magic" items?

I'd like a magic keyboard and a magic mouse please.

Of course, here you go, your "Magic" mouse and "Magic" keyboard, sprinkled with fresh pixie dust and here's a unicorn to help you carry it home.

Maybe your average 4 year old would be impressed, but, supposed adults?

27. Bronek Kozicki
    Facepalm

I know what it is!

It's satire on typical fanbois "review" of a typical Apple product!

Icon, because I've been puzzling about this article for a while.

28. DryBones

My Stuff

Logitech M570 wireless trackball (1 AA = 1.5 years)

Logitech K750 wireless solar keyboard (let it sun and don't worry, replace battery when it finally won't charge)

One little USB dongle manages both. Easy. Oh, they make them for Mac, too.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatives

For a low profile, micro-USB rechargeable keyboard with full 2mm-travel keys, and yes, a DELETE key, and even a nub for mousing/scrolling, I've been really happy with the Lenovo. Just swap the ALT and WIN keys from sys prefs, and it's good to go.

http://amzn.to/1jAfNTW

30. erhumdm

So I bought the original because of a Reg Review ...

At the time, El Reg gave the one with batteries a 95% rating which was pretty unusual.

Actually it was a joy to use except for the Delete Key (no Backspace). I paired it with my iPad but had to buy a separate piece of apple plastic as a cover for it for traveling, and then had to take the batteries out and swap them around when traveling (since the cover turned the keyboard when it was in the bag). I got used to all of that ... I could easily take 10K words of notes a day on my iPad with iThoughtsHD as the favored app.

And still think it is a great keyboard. So much so that I paired it with my Surface Pro 3 ... and still use it as the primary input device after throwing away my relatively useless iPad.

But now the Reg has watered down its reviewing standards so much that they all seem like primary puff pieces ... and this one doesnt sound like a step up to me ... but still manages 80%.

31. johnck
    WTF?

Is this review for a production item or a pre-prod item?

No seriously Is this review for a production item or a pre-prod item?

If the review is for a pre-prod item then its very bad. A keyboard should not cause you pain when using, as others have said go see a Dr if it does. As for the rest of the review its still bad, I would expect even a pre-prod keyboard to have keys that are correctly mapped to what's printed on them. The fact its not recognised by the OS, though it should have been recognised as a default keyboard just like any other keyboard would be, and the fact the wireless paring didn't work as advertised, OK it could do it with some special key presses, would be a bit more acceptable.

If the review is for a production item, then its very very very bad, so bad I'd say this item was broken and would return it and get a new one before doing the review, mentioning that the first one I had not worked, and why it didn't work, as you would for any other item I reviewed. Then I would have had a massive issue, as above, if it caused me pain in use.

Giving a keyboard 4 out of 5, that doesn't work as advertised, and caused the reviewer pain when using it, WTFF! All I can say is can I have some of what ever drug they're taking please because it must be mind altering, What's that you say its £79 for just the keyboard, OK give me the drugs

Cards on the table time, I did once have a Power Book G4 (yes it was a few years ago it had OSX 10.4 on it when it died I think) it was good and did everything I needed it to, but when it died I could not justify the price of a Mac book, a cheap laptop (Windows Vista worked for me) it was good and did everything I needed it to, lasted about as long as the Power Book did to. I don't care where the computer comes from just does it do what I need it to, like any normal person does with any tool they use, no pro or anti any fandom, just anti things that don't work and pro thing that do. Oh before anyone thinks it same thinking applies to Linux its just a tool, and like a hammer you need the right tool for the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like