back to article SYNful Knock is no Stuxnet, says researcher

Yet another set of shivers is running up spines at Cisco, with a researcher from Grid32 claiming that “rooting” the company's IOS firmware isn't as hard as people think. The issue of compromised firmware arose in August when the company first warned that its ROMMON firmware images could be replaced with a compromised version …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really sad state of affairs...

... when assembly (machine code) is considered nation-state level hacking. Security by obscurity not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Really sad state of affairs...

Let me use this rely to UPVOTE you a second time.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I've been wanting to find some time to get back into writing some (trivial) assembler stuff. Does that make me a nation state?

3. Pookietoo

Assembly language isn't machine code, it's a low level symbolic language that gets converted into machine code.

2. T. F. M. Reader

Nation state resources...

...are not needed to write malware. They are needed to get a few SCADA systems and at least a decent simulator of a nuclear site those systems are supposed to control, to test your malware before you commit your sneakernet to installing it.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Nation state resources...

In this case, it is not SCADA systems, it is Cisco routers which you can get for ~ 200$ or thereabouts off eBay for the ISR family. So definitely no need for nation state resources.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Nation state resources...

I was alluding to Stuxnet which SYNful Knock obviously isn't (see the article's title).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

No shit

This inflation of the required resources to 'Nation State' level has been going on for years. It is readily apparent to anyone who has actually developed software that all it needs is the will and a dedicated small team to come up with quite sophisticated solutions. It could just as well be a criminal enterprise, a dodgy Security firm or just a bunch of disgruntled old farts doing it for fun.

By now there must be hundreds of thousands of ex-developers out there with the required skills, just needing the motivation (and lack of moral/ethical sense) to do something with them.

They need to start looking at people who have a track record of not caring too much about other people and who know the skills and availability of this untapped resource. I'd start with HR departments.

1. Roo
      Pint

Re: No shit

"They need to start looking at people who have a track record of not caring too much about other people and who know the skills and availability of this untapped resource. I'd start with HR departments."

I like your line of thinking on that one, I can't upvote it enough. :P

4. DropBear
    Facepalm

Indeed. All those claims about something being vulnerable but "requiring nation-state resources" to attack - only to see some twenty-something coming forward at a security conference with having thoroughly pwned the thing using only $123 worth of mostly off-the-shelf kit - are getting rather annoying. All you need is sufficient incentive, available technical data (or the hardware itself) and reasonable skill in the art...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bullshit keywords

"Nation-state" is one of those useful indicators: if someone uses that expression, other than in its proper sense in the context of historical/political theory, or perhaps ironically, you can fairly safely mark them down as an idiot and ignore them.

6. Lyndon Hills 1

Nation State resources

Stack Overflow probably has more resources (in this context) than most nation states.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like