back to article Scotland Yard pulls eyeballs off WikiLeaker-in-Chief Assange

Scotland Yard have quit sending cops to monitor Julian Assange around the clock – at least in person, anyway. The WikiLeaker-in-Chief has been holed up in London's Ecuadorian Embassy since the summer of 2012, where he sought political asylum from authorities who wanted to question him over rape, coercion and two counts of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Do you expect me to talk ?

No mister Assange... I expect you to die !

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: Do you expect me to talk ?

Not that funny...

But if I were Ass-n-hat err I mean Assange, I would have to wonder if this was a trap.

Think about it... the plods are pulled back.

No sign of any new surveillance cameras so it looks to be safe for him to make his escape... You know a quick drive to the coast to an awaiting boat to take him off shore and on to some other country ...

Only that its a trap where the Ecuadorian Embassy staff are in part behind it as a way to get him to leave. Once out the door, they lock it behind him. Or the boat gets stopped in the harbor or something like that.

No Mister Assange, I expect you to think this a trap so that while I reduce the cost of securing you in the Embassy, you're too frightened to run away!

1. Scorchio!!
        Pint

Aw, poowa Juliette; no more balcony scenes? No one to play Romeo to his Julietta?

Having said he wanted to become a Swedish citizen he changed that, saying they had banana republic standards of justice (whilst ironically hiding up in the diplomatic presence of one such country, one whose treatment of journalists and despatch of an individual to Belarus indicate him to be a grade I hypocrite), he claims that everyone in the world want to ship him back to the US, even though the EAW forbids that, what will he do now? How can he attract more money trees to the gravity trap? Will this end in tears, or will Julie roool the wurlde? Watch next year's balcony scene (there will be one, coppers or no) for more on this story. (Currently drinking a pint of real ale.)

2. Preston Munchensonton
        Coat

Only that its a trap where the Ecuadorian Embassy staff are in part behind it as a way to get him to leave. Once out the door, they lock it behind him. Or the boat gets stopped in the harbor or something like that.

No Mister Assange, I expect you to think this a trap so that while I reduce the cost of securing you in the Embassy, you're too frightened to run away!

All of that would only make sense if we could get some freakin sharks with freakin laser beams on their heads!

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Preston Re: Do you expect me to talk ?

Sorry but you're in the middle of London. Where are you going to get sharks?

How about a trained army of rats wearing laser beams?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

Re: @Preston Do you expect me to talk ?

Sorry but you're in the middle of London. Where are you going to get sharks?

Lawyers?

1. Known Hero

Re: @Preston Do you expect me to talk ?

"Lawyers?" With Friggin' Lazers......

Jesus Man, Steady on. Do you want to tempt the apocalypse !!!!!

2. Halfmad

The problem he has..

That if he walks out and hands himself in, the US will come up with some excuse for him to be sent over there, even if our government says it's just for "breach of bail conditions."

The Swedish dropping their request really hasn't changed anything for him.

1. Anonymous Brave Guy
      Thumb Up

Re: The problem he has..

Exactly, although there are 'people' out there who think the US are not bothered by him *cough* CIA astroturfers *cough*

1. Gordon 10

Bullshit to both of you. Asshat for these offences at least is just a common criminal - a corwardly egomaniac who has delusions of grandeur.

He has to face charges in both the UK and Sweden neither of which involve the Americans who can get in line after he's served his time or is acquitted.

Since its blatantly obvious he won't get a fair trial the chance of an extradition succeeding is nil.

Since it appears at the very least he's guilty of the bail jumping charge.

Astroturfers like you 2 should consider how he treats his friends:

Did Bradley Manning ever get that defence fund?

Let's see what the Swedish courts decide how he treated his sex partners.

And what about the poor schmucks who lost £100k's of bail money they put up?

Julian Assange - by the way he treats his friends and allies you will know him.

It's time he faced British and Swedish justice.

1. Scorchio!!
          Thumb Up

The Australian judge who let him off so lightly should have sent him down for the 17 counts on which this criminal was found guilty, including one of hacking the Australian police body investigating him and the Pentagon USAF machines also. There is so much more to this man's profile, and I am certain that he will not disappoint us; he will reoffend, he will be caught, he will claim he is innocent and the CIA dunnit.

Plonker, coward that he is.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And you don't think it's weird that whistle blowers are usually rapists?

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: The problem he has.. @terra

"And you don't think it's weird that whistle blowers are usually rapists?"

You have evidence for this statement? If not, there seems to be "Joke" icon missing.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@Halfmad Re: The problem he has..

Nope.

The US doesn't want him and if they did... they could wait until he was sent back to Australia.

3. BillG
      Headmaster

That if he walks out and hands himself in, the US will come up with some excuse for him to be sent over there...

High profile extraditions like this are brought to the President's desk because of the diplomatic implications. At this point only President Obama can make the decision whether or not to extradite. Based on past experience Obama will extradite only if he has both Britain's and Sweden's buy-in.

By international law, Britain won't agree until the bail-jumping claim is settled, and Sweden won't agree until the rape charge is settled and it must be done in this order.

Only when both European charges are settled can AssangeTM be extradited to the U.S. - assuming Obama wants him. At this point it would be highly impractical for Obama to even request extradition to the USA. Julie is no fool and must know this.

The loser in all of this is Ecuador. Julie is a diplomatic thorn in their side in any relationship between Ecuador and both GB and the USA, especially with Ecuador's present trade negotiations with China. Now that the cops are gone (and I'll bet they are really gone, no covert surveillance), Julie is likely to be shoved out the embassy's back door without so much as a "Good-bye". Maybe he will be picked up, but I suspect that all three countries are sick and tired of him. The smartest strategy then is to just ignore AssangeTM, which would really make him look like a fool for hiding in the Ecuador's embassy in the first place.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a trap to collar unlicensed false-moustache vendors in the London area.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Sneaky bastards

They are just feeding him some bait to lure him out of his den, then they will pounce on him like a bunch of power hungry politicians.

Alternatively, they are just bored shitless standing around all day doing absolutely nothing, even with their exceptional bonuses they just can't stand it anymore..

1. elDog

Re: Sneaky bastards

Reminds me of the kiddie game that we all played.

"OK, we're going home now. You can keep your effin ball if you want."

Hide behind tree with bats and wait.

The cretins from the GB/US/SE intelligence service are rather transparent.

1. Havin_it
        WTF?

>Reminds me of the kiddie game that we all played. [...]

Um, for some values of "we" and "all", I'd have to say, as I have literally no idea what you just said.

2. Ian Michael Gumby

@El Dog ... Re: Sneaky bastards

How do you know that the Brits really did pull their police because they knew Assange would think this to be a trap since as you say the Brits are rather transparent?

So that because Assange suspects that it is a trap the Brits can pull the police coverage back and save some money while Assange stays in the embasssy?

3. Scorchio!!
        Devil

"The cretins from the GB/US/SE intelligence service are rather transparent."

Paranoid much? This one's for you: http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

5. Pen-y-gors

"However it is no longer proportionate to commit officers to a permanent presence"

A 24/7 physical plod presence hasn't been 'proportionate' for the last three years! What has suddenly changed?

1. tirk

Re: "However it is no longer proportionate to commit officers to a permanent presence"

What has suddenly changed?

The local Krispy Kreme closed down?

1. Valarian

Re: "However it is no longer proportionate to commit officers to a permanent presence"

The local Krispy Kreme is not 20 paces away from the Ecuadorian Embassy, in Harrods.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Valarian

Whoosh!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: What has suddenly changed?

Somebody noticed the medical bills of all the officers going into depression after being subject to the continual and non-stop talking of that indeflatable windbag.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A ban on overtime.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

I think that several of the charges are no longer viable because of the statutes of limitations on those charges and then the Swedish Government may be rethinking if they want to continue to pursue Assange on the remaining charge(s).

So if he escapes... he leaves the country, to never return, and will probably leave Europe all together since there's still the EAW and then a second one from the Brits once he 'leaves' since he jumped bail there....

So Assange goes on the run, because he's too much a prat to face the music for raping those two girls.

1. Intractable Potsherd

@ Ian Michael Gumby: "... for raping those two girls."

Where I come from, the assumption is that a person is innocent unless proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. What is it where you come from?

Assange is wanted to face trial on an *allegation* of rape that needs to be proved by the prosecution.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What has suddenly changed?

I don't know, but as a taxpayer I'm f***ing delighted that they've finally stopped wasting so much money on this sideshow when, so they tell us, budget constraints mean that even some basic policing functions are unaffordable.

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

12 million quid for 3 years. Nearly 11 grand a day. How much do coppers earn nowadays?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Finally they've noticed the budget cuts.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When asked to explain why it cost so much; they refuse to say on the grounds of, "national security".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

pizza deliveries, parking fines, umbrellas / false moustaches...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> they refuse to say on the grounds of, "national security".

But this was nothing to do with politics - it was the standard police response to anyone who was accused of having sex without a condom abroad.

3. JetSetJim

Value for money

I'm sure it's not just the poor plods salary that needs covering. No doubt there is a certain amount of overhead that sucks up the large bulk of this.

Plod doing a mindlessly tedious job of looking at the face of everyone that exits that building may well fall into the category of job that requires frequent breaks to stave off inattentiveness - therefore a multi-plod solution is required, or frequent transporting in/out of replacement plods.

Plods are probably required to fill out (in triplicate, by hand) contact reports for each and every sighting of someone that comes out, presumably graded against a "risk assessment" that it might be JA.

Those reports are presumably filed, laboriously transcribed into some archaic system by plod at the end of each shift.

Then there's probably a weekly 1st line management review of all such reports. And a monthly 2nd line management review, etc.... (not sure how many layers of management there are).

On top of all that, there's the inconvenience to the shift planners in shuffling everyone else around to maintain adequate staffing levels (for some value of "adequate") while a number of staff are assigned to this useless duty, which probably means hiring more staff (with commensurate training costs attached), or other staff doing more shifts (at various overtime rates).

Overall, it probably would have been easier to just ignore him, possibly putting a few grand up as a reward for information leading to his capture.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1

about bloody time at £12m spondoolies, meanwhile those in odd numbered houses don't get a burglary investigated.

I think Assange has a point that this is all political because us proles who live in pig shit get bugger all policing apart from when we need a good kicking.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a management accounting trick. They factored in the lost revenue of renting the sidewalk to an Ecuadorian Street vendor, a proportion of unrecovered bank heists, and the extra budget on the donut fund.

1. Danny 14

It would have been cheaper to post a reward of £200k to each of the Ecuadorian staff to throw him out of the window. Or a few thousand to the cleaning lady to "break" the toilet (and put a portaloo outside), that'll soon get the staff to move him.

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

what's a man to do.

If he did slip out of the embassy unseen, he can't use any form of scheduled flight to leave the UK. Ditto ports, Chunnel. A light plane or small fishing vessel/private yacht to the continent...probably an offence for the owner to aid and abet his escape. So they would have to be either a bit dim, or not citizens of somewhere within reach of PC Plod.

He could do a 39 Steps Dannay and hide out in the Highlands. Or Rogue Male it in the south west.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what's a man to do.

"A light plane or small fishing vessel/private yacht to the continent...probably an offence for the owner to aid and abet his escape."

Given the number of them that are smuggling drugs and people, one more offence probably wouldn't make any difference.

How many RIBs are there around the coast nowadays? How many people available to police them?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A light plane or small fishing vessel/private yacht to the continent...probably an offence for the owner to aid and abet his escape.

Not that hard. He would simply have to do a reverse illegal immigrant :).

I think it's a brilliant ploy. If they pull back surveillance, it will basically increase the pressure from the Ecuadorian embassy to get the hell out. He's been a major pain in the neck for years, so any opportunity to boot him out without appearing to do so will be grasped with both hands.

The problem I see for Assange is that he is congenitally incapable of staying out of trouble (possibly because that gets him the attention he so craves), so it doesn't matter where he escapes too, he will manage to piss off local authorities again.

3. Tromos

Can't see Assange successfully hiding out for long. He'll be suffering withdrawal symptoms if he goes 3 days without a press conference or self-publicizing interview.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Swim to France? Walk out through the channel tunnel?

Of course with the uniforms not there everyone in the street could be suspicious. That street sweeper. The kid on the skateboard. The postman. That newspaper vendor. The pizza delivery for sure. It's enough to make a man twitchy. Very twitchy.

5. LucreLout

He could do a 39 Steps Dannay and hide out in the Highlands. Or Rogue Male it in the south west.

Hiding isn’t really the problem. He has enough supporters to ferry in cash and other things he’d need. His real issue will be publicity. Aside from posting rants on youtube, he simply won’t have any coverage while on the lamb.

Now that he’s ducked the rape charges, the true test of why he suddenly found that couch so damn comfortable begins – how long will he continue to hide in there to manufacture a pretence that his fleeing had anything to do with America?

There’s zero chance we’ll forget about the bail jumping – a sex offender running up a £12M policing bill isn’t in a position to negotiate. Either he comes out and gets nicked, in which case absent a EAW from Sweden, the States are free to claim him, if they want. So he really has no choice now – stay on the couch until his death, or come out and prove once and for all that he was really just ducking the rape charges.

He’s never spared a moment of thought about the impact his continual media seeking has on his victims. It must be sickening for the women to see his smug smirk on tv, knowing that he has denied them the most basic justice of having their day in court. Quite how his wife explains his behavior to his children is utterly beyond me. “Mammy, why do the other kids at school say daddy is a coward and a rapist?” “Oh honey, just ignore them, they’re only jealous of all the Ferrero Roche the ambassador gives daddy” ??!!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"while on the lamb."

Now there is a phrase that I have never heard before, is it rhyming slang, if so, what is the rhyme ?

However, as much as I do not like the man he has not been found guilty of rape and where we live "Innocent until found guilty" is still in da rigour ( or at least I think so).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"while on the lamb."

Now there is a phrase that I have never heard before, is it rhyming slang, if so, what is the rhyme ?

It's actually "on the lam", but I suspect Assange's bleating may have contributed here :). It's a normal, if somewhat lesser used English expression meaning "on the run".

Unless, of course, the author has come across an escape plan involving Assange using a sheep as getaway transport. I've seen enough weird ideas for that to fit right in..

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

"using a sheep as getaway transport"

It worked for Odysseus. Mind you as a result it took him ten years to get home.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

"It's actually "on the lam", but I suspect Assange's bleating may have contributed here :). It's a normal, if somewhat lesser used English expression meaning "on the run"."

I wonder if it is actually a twist of the French expression sur la lame du rasoir", on the edge of a razor. ie "On a knifes edge"... ie In a very difficult position.

He is antipodean so it might therefore be possible that he will hide in a food truck as a piece of New Zealand Lamb...

8. phuzz Silver badge
    Trollface

It's got to be demoralising, the Met can't even be bothered to try and arrest him any more.

I wonder what's he's going to do to try and be famous again? Perhaps he could have sleep-sex with someone in the UK, then flee to Sweden?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Probably fake his own death in a way that it gets blamed on the US.

9. Lee D Silver badge

Oh, God, not him again

I've really stopped caring, to be honest.

I'm sure a media show will turn up again when we've forgotten about this episode (just to keep him in the news) and I'm sure there's still plod in one form or another sitting on the doorstep - just maybe not visibly.

Until he's either arrested or otherwise newsworthy (e.g. dead, escaped, pardoned *cough*yeah,right*cough*, ...), please stop bothering to report on him.

Come out, get arrested, do your time for the UK crime (skipping bail), then see the complete APATHY with which all the other countries treat you. You're not that special mate. And even if you were, nobody really cares by now.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assange has left the building...

He left in a laundry bag years ago...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Assange has left the building...

I was going to say: Cue the laundry truck, pay the guards, off to some far off place...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

12.6 fucking milion £££

"The Met provided a breakdown of the round-the-clock policing costs, which it estimated to be £12.6m - £7.1m in normal pay, £3.4m in overtime and £2.1m indirect costs."

12. Cynic_999

If he really has been inside the embassy all that time (and not been spirited out in a large diplomatic bag), he is no better off than he would have been in prison - except he has no idea when his release date may be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's a good point

I have no experience in the matter, but I would bet that as prison time goes, prison time in Sweden is probably pretty soft. Probably no worse than being locked in the Ecuadorian embassy. Of course that assumes that going to prison in Sweden was of a higher probability than the US showing up and sending him on a one way flight to Gitmo.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That's a good point

At least in prison he'd have an excerise yard and some companionship.

Ok the friendship would probably come from Big Bazza but what's good for the goose is good for the alledged gander.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That must hurt..

.. no longer being considered important enough to watch 24/7.

Not that I think it matters. From what I've seen so far from Assange, someone has just decided to hand him a new length of rope...

14. Mark 85

Did the plod go corporate?

Have they decided to cut some costs and are using a "contractor"? I'm sure for a few hundred quid a week, one of the admins in the building would be willing to pick up the phone and make a call if Assange were leaving the building.

15. Ciaran McHale

One possibility is that GCHC have dveloped a "reliable enough" automated technology for monitoring who leaves the embassy building, and that this automated technology is cheaper to deploy than round-the-clock police guards. For example, the technology might involve a video camera and face recognition software.

Another, complementary possibility is that GCHQ might have found a way to install monitoring devices (e.g., microphones, cameras, motion detectors, and so on) in the rooms within the embassy where Assange is living. When those devices indicate he has left those rooms, a silent alarm goes off that notifies the police to be on the lookout for a bail dodger.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Or they just put some snipers in the building opposite?

16. Richard Altmann

Diplomatic Way

A tall "muslim lady" in a Bhurka walks into the embassy ... and walks out again without being checked by MPD. Problem solved in a diplomatic way and millions of pounds saved for the tax payer. A scapegoat going its way to the butcher, that´s it.

17. psychonaut

12 million quid

Thats got to be bollox

18. Jeremy Allison

We're a funny old lot the English.

You can be a murderous paedophile and the police and security services will move heaven and earth to protect you and keep you in parliament (especially if you have royal friends).

But publish "secret" information that embarrasses them and their rage and vindictiveness knows no bounds, as poor Julian will eventually find out.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"deploy a number of overt and covert tactics to arrest him" should he leave the embassy.

Couldn't they have done that from the start and thus save a large proportion of the £12 million?

20. Jason Hindle

Any excuse for a Star Wars quote

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!!!!!!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Pull out

I think you'll find that the £12M spent on policing there is dwarfed by the cost of putting up rather a lot of cameras in Laaahndon Taahn and staffing them plus the automated stuff. Said cameras justified by this sort of nonsense.

I also suspect that all BT Open Reach green boxes (those are the extant symbol of reasonable intertube access in the UK) in the area have a tap back to more than just a few ISPs. Funnily enough there is one on the corner of Hans Crescent.

I'd also imagine that any IT system in the immediate area with wifi access has more admins than the installer suspects (unless they wear a lot of tin foil).

OTOH: it is a bit of an expensive thing to run and we live on a bloody island. You don't need half a dozen tooled up plod to watch him 24x7.

<crackle/>

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He should be sentenced to the worst punishment imaginable...

... to be released from his self-imposed exile and completely ignored by authorities for the term of his natural life.

The man craves relevance and finds it in his real or perceived relationship with others. Cutting off one half of that relationship will force him to conjure his own demons and those guys don't ever get bored (or broke) enough to stop watching him.

The CIA will be pursuing him for the rest of his life, listening to him in every corner he tries to hide in, infiltrating every one of his relationships and weaving complex fabrics of lies around him - and all they need to do is do nothing...

23. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Possible

"One possibility is that GCHC have dveloped a "reliable enough" automated technology for monitoring who leaves the embassy building,"

That's a possibility. Last I heard, with the kind of facial recognition available... it was like 99% accurate (that was looking straight at a camera), which sounds OK but does mean in a 50,000 seat stadium you'd have like 500 false positives; it's not really practical to look for a bunch of faces (or even once face) over a bunch of cameras.

But looking for a single person leaving a building is a much narrower problem, it would be practical (if there's a camera in the area) to have an alert sent to the police station if he steps out.

24. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

All men are Ecuadorian under the law

Although some can be as much as £12 million.

25. Aldous

So how much did that little lot cost

I imagine the embassies have some police presence already. How much did keeping all the extra around rather then a minimal presence cost?

Also what is the situation with embassy cars? Could they not load Assange into one, straight to an embassy plane and fly off (if flight plans approved etc)?

26. Otto is a bear.

Look on the bright side

He could spend the rest of his life in the Ecuadorian Embassy, far longer than any sentence he would have been given.

An all we need now is for El Reg to ignore him. He is largely irrelevant now, anyway, and he never was that important, when compared to others.

27. Desidero

Folks, whoever sent in the "rape" groupies and the incredible exploding condom managed to derail Wikileaks for the last 3-4 years - the US doesn't care anymore. Certainly drone strikes can continue unabated, the Halliburton hit squads have successfully rebranded, and there's no more talk about "Arab Spring" outside of bath soap.

I just wish Sweden could have proffered at least one fish charge like the famous red snapper from the Vanilla Fudge.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Put sign on the embassy door "H.M Prison Belmarsh outpost"

Ask embassy if they would mind having an additional sign on the embassy door "H.M. Prison Belmarsh outpost".

Then everybody can claim he served his time.

Assange might consider to sue for inhumane treatment in his new "prison".

This would come much cheaper.

29. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

YER ALL LOSERS!!!

Your government has you on lockdown. Now you're sounding like them - asshats!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like