back to article GENUINE STARSHIP as used by PRINCESS LEIA sold for just $450k

Princess Leia's CR90 Corvette, also known as the Rebel blockade runner, has been sold at a Los Angeles auction for $450,000. The miniature film prop was the first ship to appear in the Star Wars franchise, appearing straight after the famous opening text crawl from the first film Episode IV: A New Hope. Leia's ship is …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

So, does it include the poster and Playboy centrefold?

If it doesn't, then he'd better get his money back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rumour has it Chris Roberts bought it to stick into the next Star Citizen trailer.

2. Known Hero
    Unhappy

media ....

Could not find a image of the actual ship in question, Much better Idea grab a picture that has a pair of tits on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: media ....

I can only see one tit.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: media ....

picture that has a pair of tits on it.

You mean like this, or maybe just this?

3. jake Silver badge

Good gawd/ess ...

A miniature is considered a "starship" amongst collectors? Idiots.

I've seen the same, exact, same materials, "slave costume" for several decades during the annual halloween silliness. Typically, it costs under US$35. Again, idiots.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Alien

Re: Good gawd/ess ...

Yes, but not soaked in authentic Hutt slobber.

1. Doctor_Wibble
        Alert

That's a euphemism and mental image I don't ever want to read or see ever again ever.

Or I could just stop going to that sort of website.

2. James Hughes 1

Re: Good gawd/ess ... @Jake (again)

You can buy a copy of the Venus de Milo for $35. The original is worth an awful lot more.

Have you got the point yet? If not, the clue is in the word 'original'.

3. Bleu

I was amazed by the down-vote flood (by Reg standards) for your sensible comment, so I give the first posi-vote.

I saw the film as a small child, once since, I liked and like it, but I don't even remember what that miniature looked like.

Surely, if it was so epochal, there must be plastic model kits that, with careful painting and staining, would look even better than the original?

Maybe even a cheaper die-cast metal job?

Oh well, I am off to carefully pose my huge collection of Jar-Jar Binks action figures.

Jar-Jar was the greatest!

1. dan1980

@Bleu

"Surely, if it was so epochal, there must be plastic model kits that, with careful painting and staining, would look even better than the original?"

Quite possibly, but such a kit would not have been used in the opening scene of one of the most important and beloved science-fiction movies of all time. Nor would it have been created by people working in one of the most important effects departments of all time.

It wouldn't have been painstakingly assembled from mixtures of card and plastic and bits of other kits and then painted to look as realistic as possible in the lighting conditions of the shoot.

In the end it is, of course, just plastic and metal and has no intrinsic value, but then the Mona Lisa is really just wood and oil and ground up rocks and plants and bugs.

The down votes for Jake is for him pretending not to understand the value of this piece. Whether he cares for it or not is irrelevant - he understand why it is valuable and why someone would pay that much for it, even if he thinks it's a waste.

For you, I want to just clarify that when someone says 'miniature', in this context, they are talking about the original film prop - a one-off. It seems that you understand this when you say 'original' but then I am not so sure when you say that you "don't even remember what that miniature looked like".

It looked like the ship in the movie. Because, you know, it was the ship in the movie.

4. Jediben
    Headmaster

I'm afraid Leia's vessel is missing at LEAST 2 escape pods: we witness two Imperial gunners targeting the pod used by C3-PO and R2D2 and exclaiming "Look, there goes another one!".

It is only the absence of life signs which holds their fire and saves the Galaxy as they know it.

1. Graham Marsden

Yes, but then in the report to Vader the Commander says "An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting but no life forms were aboard", so where was this "other" one?

1. Doctor_Wibble

Wait, there was another escape pod? I'll have to check again, but this certainly adds weight to the Skywalker family conspiracy thing! I mean the theory was already convincing but what if it turns out that crazy old guy that everyone thought had been living in the desert had in fact been off-planet and only barely managed to get back (in that second escape pod) in time to find the boy and the robots?

This is obviously another one of these things where it looks like a smoothly-oiled operation but on closer inspection we see part of it that only barely scraped through by sheer luck.

Anyone unclear on the details should certainly refer to Mr Putnam's excellent documentary "Luke's Change: an Inside Job".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dvv-Yib1Xg

1. Graham Marsden
          Thumb Up

@Doctor_Wibble

And don't forget this statement from the designer of the Death Star...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Doctor_Wibble

"There goes another one" just means they grilled all the ones that went before.

Clearly this movie was made when strapping bombs onto your body and doing a terrorbombing on the visiting law and order peoplewhitejackets as opposed to dying like a bitch was not yet considered a tactic to seriously pursue.

2. Jediben
        Facepalm

Ah but we SEE the fighting. We know when THAT pod went - another could have escaped BEFORE the door blows up and Mr Asthma made his stride onto the ship.

1. John Mangan

"and Mr Asthma made his stride onto the ship"

I'm sorry, is that your breathing? I can hardly hear myself think.

My friend, can I offer a word of advice? Simplify.

There's simply too much going on; you're evil, you're ashmatic, you're a robot.

And what's with the cape? Are we going to the opera? I don't think so.

3. oldcoder

The others were blown up.

2. Vic

It is only the absence of life signs which holds their fire and saves the Galaxy as they know it.

"Hold your fire? What, are we paying by the laser now?"

"You don't do the budget Terry, I do."

Vic.

1. TheProf

Open the pod bay doors, Pal

Zaphod Beeblebrox: Hey Ford, how many escape capsules are there?

Ford Prefect: None.

Zaphod Beeblebrox: You counted them?

Ford Prefect: Twice!

5. Havin_it
    Boffin

Maybe not just SW...

If it's the croquet-mallet-shaped fella I'm picturing, I'm pretty sure the same prop was used in the film Battle Beyond The Stars and at least one 70s/80s sci-fi TV show (BSG maybe?).

It's possible this corvette may have a longer service-record than you think...

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Maybe not just SW...

Battle Beyond The Stars

yes... that was a bit of a copypastafest, for sure.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is slightly different, but that whole movie is a cut-n-paste from Magnificent Seven (down to the point of using some of the same actors in the same role - f.e. Steve Vaughn), The Seven Samurai and run through a Star Wars theme generator.

As far as Sci Fi goes that is the cream of the cr***, probably with very few to match it.

1. TheProf
        Angel

Robert Vaughn.

I think the stand-out performance in Battle Beyond The Stars comes from Sybil Danning as St. Exmin.

1. IsJustabloke
          Coat

Yes.. she had a couple of outstanding points I seem to recall....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In warehouses with the Ark

Half of me wishes I had the money to bid on that and half of me is thankful that I don't. The ludicrous size of Lucas's prop warehouses could almost put a keepsake on the shelf of every fan's home. These items are only as rare as the owners want them to be.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a bargain

The corellian corvette design was originally intended to be used as the millennium falcon, so it is a whopping great thing almost 2 meters long and much larger than needed for the shots it was in and built with a lot more detail. There were a lot of man hours that went into it. Not to mention that fact that it is the prop which is seen in the opening of the first film of one of the largest fandoms and franchises on earth.

I won't talk about the dress....

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: It's a bargain

The corellian corvette design was originally intended to be used as the millennium falcon

Was that when Lucas did not yet have his original ideas overruled?

1. Joe Bryant

Re: It's a bargain

I think Space: 1999 came out while they were making Star Wars, and they felt the ship looked too much like Space: 1999's Eagle transports, so they changed it for the round design we're familiar with.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Hang on a mo...

Wookipedia says, amongst other things, that "The 150 meter-long craft could reach speeds of 950 kilometers per hour" Erm, shurely shome mishtake? Earth-Moon distance 240,000 miles or 384,000km, so that corvette can get there in about 404 hours, or just over 16 days. Apollo, on the other hand, managed something approaching 40,000kph at top speed, and took just 3 days to get to the Moon, so an average speed of 5,300kph or thereabouts.

Sounds like Princess Leia sholld sue those darned Corellians for selling her such an awful pile of junk! 8-}

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on a mo...

In Star Wars universe, spaceships reach maximum speed!

2. Pookietoo

"950 kilometers per hour" - that's the maximum atmospheric speed (I'm assuming Earth-like atmosphere).

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Remember, corvettes are US made - plastic and tacky. Any faster and the plastic will melt.

9. CrosscutSaw

Nothing to add

I just clicked to see the pic of Leia. Ok thank you. I'm out.

10. Nehmo

Fantasy or Reality

For that price, you can buy a real Princess Leia.

11. P.B. Lecavalier

Next auction?

Logically, the next auction(s) should feature the Star Destroyer that captured the Corvette. I can't wait for that.

And then, another auction should feature... the Death Star! No need to petition the White House to build it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like