back to article T-Mobile US hires someone other than bungling Experian to offer ID theft monitoring to hack victims

First, Experian was hacked by criminals, and its sensitive records on 15 million people who applied for T-Mobile US phone contracts were stolen. Then, bafflingly, Experian was hired by T-Mobile US to provide identity theft and credit monitoring for those caught up in the security breach. Now the telco will let people pick …

1. Mark 85

Good move on T-Mobile's part.

They're listening to the customers instead of taking the easy way out... I'm just wondering if any of the big 3 credit agencies are properly secured. They would be a tempting target for any miscreant. We know they dinged one but not the full extent and may never know but what of the other two? Yeah... I know... "when" not "if", but do they?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Good move on T-Mobile's part.

I wonder how many of the hacks of retailers may actually be the result of hacking one of the big three. Generally they have the same information on every American so it is possible for partial hacks of each to get information on every American.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is at least as much about shifting liability as it is about listening to customers. The victims signed the contract with -and entrusted their data to- T-Mobile.

Any odds on the other two of the 'big 3' being pwned?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The victims signed the contract with -and entrusted their data to- T-Mobile."

Worse than that. They only had to apply for a contract. They got pwned whether they eventually had a contract or not.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

I'd rather T-Mobile pay for credit monitoring from someone who isn't also in the credit evaluation business. Some one whose core business is credit monitoring & identity theft repair like Lifelock or similar.

1. Fatman
        FAIL

<quote>Some one whose core business is credit monitoring & identity theft repair like Lifelock or similar.</quote>

You mean THIS Lifelock?:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/03/lifelockcomplaint.pdf

3. Eddy Ito

We know they dinged one but not the full extent and may never know but what of the other two? Yeah... I know... "when" not "if", but do they?

Since it seems Experian has been open for two years, the answer to when may very well be years ago. Much like the Scottrade breach it seems a good deal of this activity has been ongoing for quite a while and I actually expect we will be finding out that more financial institutions are sitting in the very same boat. Wasn't the breach at JP Morgan Chase going on for months when they spotted it last year?

Personally, I blame the NSA as they find these holes and keep them to themselves so they can exploit them but it's highly likely that if the NSA can find them so can their adversaries. In this case the enemy of my enemy isn't my friend.

2. Sloppy Crapmonster
    WTF?

Yo dawg

I heard you like identity theft. So I protected your Experian with Experian...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rather like using Lawyers...

... to prosecute other Lawyers for alleged criminal wrong-doing.

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

Re: Rather like using Lawyers...

Um. NO.

Rather like using the same firm of lawyers to prosecute one of them for wrong doing.

Even then generally lawyers are investigated by the bar association.

Poor analogy all round me thinks.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Here's a question for the American readers - who is picking up the tab for credit protection ? T-Mobile because it's their customers (or potential customers) or Experian who actual lost the data? And who then would the Data Protection authorities be going after?

1. Mark 85

Originally, Experian was picking up the tab but T-Mobile has hired someone else. Now I've got a feeling there's going to be some lawyers involved to get Experian to pay for it.

As for the DP... they would go after Experian. INAL, but there might be something said against T-Mobile (again.. cue the lawyers) as case could be made that T-Mobile didn't do 100% due diligence in selecting a credit agency to process.

Might need a bigger bag of popcorn if the lawyers really get involved. If they do, perhaps other companies might take a look and realize that security can't be blown off.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What were they thinking?

It's beyond belief that T-Mobile would even think of handing the ritual fraud monitoring gig to Experian. It may well be that the latter offered to do it cut price or even for free as it was their problem in the first place. But surely the likely reaction should have been predictable. What were they thinking - no, were they even thinking?

1. Chris King

Re: What were they thinking?

Experian: Hey, sorry we lost your data, how about you give us even more data so we can tell you if someone nicks that too ?

*Facepalm*

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Good move

I don't have the concern "I wouldn't trust Experian to do the monitoring", they are one of the three big credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion). But it'd gall me if Experian lost my data, then got away basically penalty-free (either actually got paid to provide protection, or provide it "on the house".. since they are a credit agency this'd cost them almost nothing.) I'd prefer T-Mo get protection from someone else then collect from Experian for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like