back to article David Jones follows Kmart into 'we've been attacked' hell

Australian high-falutin retailer David Jones has become the second in two days to admit to a data breach of its retail systems. DJ's statement is remarkably similar in its substance to Kmart's: like the down-market chain, DJs says “The information obtained was restricted to customer name, email address, order details and …

1. John Tserkezis

"The Register has contacted IBM to ask whether its WebSphere platform was the weak point in the attacks"

That's way too broad a claim to entertain until you start looking deeper. It's like saying two cars were broken into, and both had four pneumatic tyres, therefore any vehicle that has four wheels is vulnerable to a breakin.

Besides, I'm quite sure IBM, er, the tyre manufactures are just going to distance themselves anyway.

1. Mark 85

I think it's more like "someone broke into two Fords"... or possibly "two Ford Fiestas" since it's IBM's Web Sphere. Although, given the way things have been lately, it may like "the owners forgot to lock the cars"....

1. dan1980

The analogy game! Can I play?

Actually, it's more like two cars (of whatever type) being stolen from the same parking garage.

1. Tom 13

@dan1980

Perhaps Parking Garage chain? That is, not necessarily even the same garage since presumably they are on different physical servers in the WebSphere Cloud.

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: @dan1980

This isn't a "WebSphere Cloud". They are probably client owned and operated servers running WebSphere. WebSphere is "middleware', not an application in and of itself.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WebSphere Commerce

Quick bit of googling shows that DJs website runs on WebSphere Commerce, the website was built by IBM, and IBM is still providing support to DJs as of 2015.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

So, Davy Joneses locker isn't secure. That was obvious in PotC part 2. Doesn't anyone learn from movie mistakes?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Websphere weakness?

More likely that they haven't been patched recently. From the number of IBM Notifications I get and the patches released especially for Java I would think that this is more likely the reason for the breach.

The sites that I support are patched ASAP after we have done our regression testing.

WebSphere App Server can be a PITA because of the sheer number of Fixpacks. I do know of some retail sites still running a version of WebSphere commerce that is SIX years old. Needless to say, IBM won't even think of supporting them until they upgrade.

4. Dan Paul

Perhaps...

Software manufacturers should be required by international law to provide security patches and updates for their software forever? They KNOW that customers do stupid things.

Maybe software like this should just stop working if the client does NOT patch or update within a few days? Nothing like downtime throughout the Point of Sale system to get management attention.

Maybe the owners of such systems should be required to pay $10,000 (or MORE) to EACH person affected by such a breach? THAT will get their attention for sure!

That would certainly raise the visibility of the IT department from "simple overhead" to "risk avoidance".

1. Tom 13

Re: Perhaps...

Perhaps not forever. But I'm certainly willing to start at 10 years and 6 seems a no-brainer to me.

We can modify it down the road as necessary.

2. Phil Kingston

With online shopping still a fledgling novelty in Oz, any move like that would just see the retailers shutter their online offerings.

And requiring manufacturers (in any industry) to supply free upgrades for life would see them just choose to shut up shop too.

What's needed is decent sysadmins and better CIOs.

1. THE_Known_Unknown

"What's needed is decent sysadmins and better CIOs."

...and maybe ALL involved working in co-ordination to keep things ticking over safely, rather than leaving it up to the odd lowly sysadmin, or sprinkling some token security fairydust once everyone else has left gaping holes.

The ALL being marketing rushing stuff out, developers, web content people, outsourced help etc.

Interesting that DJ only announced after seeing Kmart do it 1st. Their breach was earlier. Smokescreen the bad news, they'll all forget in a few weeks

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

…WebSphere platform was the weak point…

No more a weak point than Apache on Linux/Unix or IIS on Windows.

The biggest culprit for this sort of thing is quite often the code being run atop these servers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon