back to article India follows up Mars orbiter with successful space observatory launch

India's space agency has successfully launched the country's first space observatory, the long-awaited ASTROSAT. The satellite was the main payload for a mission by the country's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C-30, along with four US satellites, one from Canada, and one from Indonesia. The multi-wavelength observatory …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bottom Line

"The satellite was the main payload for a mission by the country's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C-30, along with four US satellites, one from Canada, and one from Indonesia."

Does this redefine the term "outsourcing?"

1. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Re: Bottom Line

"Does this redefine the term "outsourcing?""

Well, the satellite's now indisputably offshore...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is the UK giving India £250M per year in aid when we can't even send a firework up ?

1. AndyS

Blah blah, mud huts, savages, blah blah blah.

It really pisses me off that, every time there is an article anywhere about a developing nation making leaps and bounds in science, the Daily Mail rag mopping xenophobes creep out of the woodwork to moan and spread sour grapes.

1. High tech work is good for an economy

2. Development of a nation means it should end up, you know, more developed

3. The aid budget is tiny in real terms, and due to end this year

4. Good relations with a country the size of India is absolutely crucial for the future existence of small, has-been Northern European countries like the UK.

5. I'm bored now, go back and crawl under whatever self-centred, short sighted UKIP-lovefest rock you emerged from. I'm sure there's an article somewhere about the refugee crisis which is short of a comment or two accusing those fleeing from terrorism of being terrorists. They're all brown, after all.

To address your self-pitying nonsense about fireworks, the UK is part of EASA, which can send up a hell of a lot more than a firework. And India represents about 1 in 7 people in the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

AndyS, What utter rubbish.

India has been building it's own nuclear reactors, nuclear subs, satellite delivery systems etc for some time and does not need handouts.

You have naughtily played the race card which is quite shameful and has nothing to do with the debate, it's about home investment and industries that used to be in the UK and are no longer here.

Take your Cobynite apologetic policies and you pay for them because I've got two small mouths to feed who will need a job someday.

1. Elmer Phud
          WTF?

Corbynite?

1. Quortney Fortensplibe
            Coat

Re: Corbynite?

I believe it's some kind of manouevre

2. Graham Marsden
          Boffin

@AC

> Take your Cobynite apologetic policies and you pay for them because I've got two small mouths to feed who will need a job someday.

Then stop voting fucking Tory because they have no interest in helping you feed those small mouths, they just want to help their rich mates get richer whilst screwing the little people who are actually doing the work to *make* the money.

And don't fall for Gideon's claim that he's going to pay the Living Wage because that's a lie, it's not until next April, its below the actual Living Wage and by 2020 it won't be above the London Living Wage *now*!

In the mean time he's taking away Working Tax credits, so will end up making people on low wages *worse* off.

Good luck in feeding your kids...

2. Little Mouse

@AndyS:

I'd upvote you, but you FED THE TROLL. Noooooo!

That rule particularly applies to A/C trolls spouting retarded UKIP-esque arse-dribblings.

Ah, what the hell, I'll upvote you anyway. Just don't do it again :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Little Mouse

Why do I have to vote UKIP to believe charity begins at home ?

Did you know that the large parts of labour party were opposed to joining the EU in 1974, especially the TUC.

To paraphrase the great Brian Redhead:

"Do you think we should have a one minute silence now in this interview for you to apologise for daring to suggest that you know how I vote ?"

2. AndyS

@Little Mouse

I agree with you regarding feeding the trolls. However the humanity-devoid, pathetic excuses of people currently screaming the garbage I addressed don't appear to be trolls. They appear to genuinely believe that aid is a waste of money, that people in foreign parts should be left to linger in whatever hell-hole we helped create, and that anyone other than themselves isn't worth them lifting a finger to help. And there are a depressing lot of them - at least 50% of the top-level comments on an article like this normally fit that mold.

Holding the light of day to these grubby, nasty little people might, just maybe, persuade others (if not themselves directly) of how disgusting their behaviour is.

Should we not be celebrating the fact that a country, and a former colony of ours, which until recently needed aid, now has a fully functioning space program? Doesn't this demonstrate to some extent the success of that country? Good on them.

It's like objecting when people on the dole get a job. After all, we're handing money out to them! How dare they take our money when they're clearly able to earn their own?!

And AC, I've also got two children, and want the best future for them. Where we differ, apparently, is I also have a heart, and care of humanity and people wherever in the world they are, and whatever their position.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Andys

"And AC, I've also got two children, and want the best future for them. Where we differ, apparently, is I also have a heart, and care of humanity and people wherever in the world they are, and whatever their position."

Good for you and congratulations on receiving the Mother Theresa most sanctimonious post award.

2. Elmer Phud

'Cos we'd rather spunk over £60Bn on a bloody train-set?

3. Zmodem

the uk is shit, it has more black mission`s and what nots then america, when needed, everything is invented within a few weeks, it was invented 20 years ago, like most medicines

1. Zmodem

all the fingers and nazi helmets on mars, are probably sent from britain, they just took blue streak underground

3. Zmodem

they are following NASA footsteps, and it has "quality street" on the side in ancient annunaki

4. DocJames
    Thumb Up

Another good news story!

Happy days, when more countries are doing more science-y stuff in space for less money.

Obligatory: http://www.xkcd.com/54/

5. Quortney Fortensplibe
    Facepalm

Article Photo

I think you could probably have squeezed a bit more jpeg compression out of the article photo. A few parts of it were still almost recogniseable.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More space programs the better.

Great to see India making such advances. Can't say I'm surprised, the Indian engineers I've worked with have shown that India has the people and ability to accomplish anything they wish.

As for India getting aid from the West and special trade concessions because they are "third" world or "developing" I've asked that very question. The answer:

If countries think a nation with a million man standing army, nuclear power and operational nuclear weapons including delivery systems, and active space programs including a manned space program and are producing more engineers than most developed countries, is poor and should be given cash and special trade deals who is India to argue? A fool and his money......

1. ItsNotMe
      WTF?

Re: More space programs the better.

In a country where 665 million people have no indoor plumbing, and are subject to all sorts of disease as a result? You think this is a good thing? Seriously?

"India's economy may be booming, but 665 million people in the world's second-largest nation have no access to indoor plumbing—not only an inconvenience, but a health hazard that leads to diarrhea, typhoid, and malaria."

http://www.newser.com/story/71434/in-rural-india-mr-right-must-have-a-toilet.html

7. IsJustabloke
    Thumb Down

I know this isn't really the correct forum but...

Shouldn't they be using the money for this towards sorting out the horrendous poverty in their country rather than relying on handouts from the UK among others?

I'm sorry but it really ticks me off.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I know this isn't really the correct forum but...

I think the handouts where dealt with already.

I find these numbers quite interesting. Especially the industry percentages.

Labor force - by occupation

GB:

agriculture: 1.3%

industry: 15.2%

services: 83.5% (2014 est.)

France

agriculture: 1.7%

industry: 19.4%

services: 78.9% (2014 est.)

Germany

agriculture: 0.9%

industry: 30.8%

Services: 68.4%

India

agriculture: 17.9%

industry: 24.2%

services: 57.9% (2014 est.)

8. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Good for them!

and good for humanity. That is all.

1. M. B.

Re: Good for them!

Upvoted, any nation willing to push the frontiers of science is doing a service to us all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like