back to article The pachyderm punch: El Reg takes just-over-a-ton Elephone P8000 to tusk

Every time The Register reviews a high-end, large-screen smartphone we get a comment or two about how for a quarter of the price you can get something similar from a no-name Chinese manufacturer. Elephone P8000 No-name, low price, big screen: Elephone's P8000 5.5-incher No doubt we’ll see the same when we review the new …

1. sabroni Silver badge

It’s easier to list what you do get rather than what’s missing.

Does it have GPS? Didn't see it mentioned in the review.

The fact it allows you to manage app permissions is very cool! It makes you wonder why none of the big Android names have a similar feature....

1. noboard

Re: It’s easier to list what you do get rather than what’s missing.

"It makes you wonder why none of the big Android names have a similar feature."

Because certain big name manufacturers like the lack permissions as it means they can take your data as well. When I had my S3 I went to the samsung store and almost all apps required all permissions, even though the apps required minimal permissions from the play store.

My next phone isn't going to be android as I fancy playing with something else. I'm hoping by the time I'm bored of non android phones, there'll be a really well configured phone with full permissions and top of the line components to play with, then I can return refreshed and full of hope.

1. Xyra

I would suggest it is also a support thing.

Rightly or wrongly due to this a lot (most?) apps might assume they are given the access they ask for and might well throw massive crash tantrums if they try to access something they are blocked from.

For a smaller, more niche product not so much an issue (I would imagine a large proportion of the buyers of these, at least in the UK, will be somewhat technical). But when selling to world+dog who expect things to "just work" it might produce huge amounts of support baggage when people start randomly flicking things on and off...

1. Paul Shirley

"apps might assume they are given the access they ask for"

Yes, it's not hard to check for permissions before using them but no-one does it or bothers catching the exceptions. Or carry on working after. That's going to change with Android 6 many years from now.

The 'correct' solution is to feed lies back to the requesting app instead of denying permissions. Not aware of any manufacturers shipping that, so users have to root and install the fix themselves. Not ideal.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: no-one does it or bothers catching the exceptions

Because the only thing that can go wrong when you call an external android service is permission denied.

2. Blackbird74

Optional

A more detailed specs list seems to suggest it does have GPS:

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/3a353426

3. Al Taylor

Yes, it has GPS.

4. BinkyTheHorse
      Boffin

"It makes you wonder why none of the big Android names have a similar feature...."

Well, they usually do have it, in fact. The ability to selectively deny permissions is a "hidden" feature of Android since 4.4.something. IIRC there's even a Reg article that covers it.

Custom ROMs, like Cyanogen, often make the feature explicit. I presume Elephone's does the same.

The reason for it being "hidden" otherwise is that non-standardized "empty" value returns from various API endpoints are liable to cause app crashes. Not that it absolves Google for dabbling with this feature only after several years...

Android Marshmallow will make this ability "official", with relevant API changes and a graceful degradation for "older" apps. Still, I wouldn't bet on there being no crashes in the early days of its life.

5. boby

it has GPS and AGPS

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Don't you know you can get one at similar specs for 4 times the price from high end manufacturers !!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

bought site unseen

Sight, please. Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bought site unseen

unless it was purchased on the dark web?

1. VinceH

Re: bought site unseen

No, they put some masking tape on screen where the address bar should be, so they couldn't see the site they were ordering from. Simplest explanation and all that*.

* What do you mean, misuse of the language is the simplest explanation? That's just silly.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Tea or No Tea

I think they're channeling Douglas Adams.

1. cd

Re: Tea or No Tea

Yeah, Reg, how does the i-ching calculator app work? Is there a theme called Suffusion of Yellow?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I'm curious...

...on how these no-namers are a year down the road.

I bought a no-name tablet which was not bad at the time (about a gen behind the big names), but after a year, the battery was shot, would only charge via USB (and not the power supply) and then the screen went wonky.

It would be nice to see a "used" review somewhere, where devices a year old are reviewed.

1. An ominous cow herd

Re: I'm curious...

Similar story here.

I bought a S5 clone a year ago, no problem at all. Maybe just short on the battery side, although it was supposed to be 2750mAh, it never lasted me more than a full day.

Then, some ten months later, the battery started behaving funny, like charging from 10% to 100% in 30 minutes and discharging almost as quickly... I opened the case and saw the battery had a big bulge in it (maybe just happy to see me, but didn't want to trust it).

Fortunately, it wasn’t fixed, so I bought a new one for under 12€ and hope it’ll last for some ten months more!

Anyway, after reading the review, I noted this phone has a big battery but it is fixed. What will the owner do when the battery goes cock-eyed? These brands have zero support outside China, so it’ll take long and it’ll be costly to repair…

1. Rob Daglish

If my Samsung Note 8 tablet is anaything to go by, they've got the battery spot on then... I've never known anything with such a shonky battery - 100% to nothing in around an hour today, 100% to 80% in around two hours the following day. And randomly switching off whenever it feels like it. For a "premium" brand, I'm not terribly impressed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

how these no-namers are a year down the road

Got one from an outfit called Doogee (The logo font choice makes it look like 'dodgee'; so it's my dodgy Chinese phone, and that pleases me, for some reason) and on the whole, I'm very happy with it.

Atypical use - I don't have a SIM card in it and use it like more of a mobile computer/library/PDA than a phone; but the hardware is still running fine after a year. There's wobbly bits in the software...no zoom on the camera for example...but on the whole it's still running like new. No battery drop off that I can see.

2. Pristine Audio

@Rob Daglish - replacing the battery on the Note 8 isn't that tricky. Sounds like you could use a new one.

1. Nigel 11

The obvious comparison is with a well-used elderly Samsung that you can buy unlocked and secondhand for around the same price. A feature comparison and year-on review done that way really would be interesting.

2. Delbert
        Thumb Up

T'ain't necessarily the case that Chinese brands will have no support. I was pleasantly surprised to find Cubot have now got a euro-service centre who bent over backwards to help me with a low volume jack socket problem on my new X12 Their diagnosis after we tried various work rounds was a warranty replacement done via the vendor. The new phone is happily driving my car (and truck) stereos for four to six hours a day .

I'm a fan of the company the only phone I have bought in recent years which has failed badly to perform was a Motorola Cliq ruined by google bloat/spyware. The oriental kit has performed well until inevitably it gets damaged by my hectic lifestyle new screen and my older P9 was good to go until it got jammed into a truck seat runner still worked though! I should get another screen so it is a handy spare.

3. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

How difficult can it be to solder a few watch batteries into a phone?

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Do you see a Mass market for dead phones as an high interest rate?

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Bingo

This is why I do not buy anything noname any more. Exactly the same, but charging only from charger and the USB slot busted completely.

No thanks - I got enough paperweights around my desk as it

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iv'e got the P8

It's okay, big capacity, decent battery life and lots of memory.

Only problem I have had is when the usb board fell out attached to the end of the charger. Unfortunately it's soldered in place in two places.

I have got hold of the board, now just to pluck up the courage to take a soldering iron to my phone. Don't mind telling you I am slightly scared! I'm also going to mod a wireless charging module into it as well.

Add wireless charging, NFC and USB OTG (what can I say, I'm a professional geek) and it would be absolutely perfect for me.

Not bad at all for the price though compared to the competition and you don't need to get locked into a contract which, to me is just as valuable.

8. Enverex

Definitely not bad...

I bought the Elephone P6000 a while ago and it's a great phone. Never had any issues, really fast, happily plays any games I throw at it (even ones my Tegra 4 tablet refuses). Also comes pre-rooted with no bloatware either which is nice. Not bad for the £115 I paid at the time. It's honestly been the best phone I've ever owned and I've had several flagships.

9. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Pocket Computers

So, eh, legitimate question here. I see these are on Ebay for $180 (for us USians), and judging by this review, they look like decent devices. So is it possible to buy one of these and never connect it to a phone network? Will the device have fits (or not work at all) if I don't provide it with a SIM card? $180 for a little pocket computer with no data bill sounds like a deal - something I could take around at work to check access point strength, telnet into switches/etc (no serial is a bummer, though). But would it actually work?

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Pocket Computers

You might solve that with a PAYG SIM that never gets topped-up.

2. rhydian

Most modern Andrioid phones I've used will simply notify that there's no SIM inserted and continue working over wifi etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It will work fine, I gave my daughter (age 18months at the time) my old Lenovo P800 having pre-loaded it with suitable games last year. It is amazing how long the battery lasts when it isnt try to connect to a phone network.

I let it connect via wifi every now and then to update the apps.

Having no phone network connection means no inappropriate adverts in the baby games as well!!!

1. Nigel 11

I was thinking along similar lines. Not so much a phone as a mini-tablet. It's not exactly expensive and that's a lot of pixels for the money.

4. Al Taylor

In a word, yes. I managed to misplace all my spare SIMs recently so ran the P8000 on Wi-Fi only for a few days until replacements arrived. Everything worked perfectly. Just couldn't make cellular calls.

10. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Headmaster

Trunk calls?

Is it 1958 already? Time to watch this bloke on the telly.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Trunk calls?

Is that an elephant on the telephone

or a telephant on the elephone?

~ Ogden Nash

1. Nigel 11

Telephant

Sounds like a good keyword for El Reg to use for the govt. of the PRC. (Choose your preferred pre-installed spyware. Telephant or Uncle Sam? What, cynical, me? )

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just install an app 'no root firewall', it will ask you every time anything wants to access the internet by creating a VPN inside the phone...

11. Michael Habel

Landfill Android

Good luck in ever seeing any updates to Marshmallow (Assuming they even ship out as Lollipop that is!). It'll be a cold day before you find someone doing an AOSP port for one of these... Thats 'cause these Chinese outfits fail to respect GPL. So you could spend +500$ for a device that might last for say can. Five Years... Or spend ca. ~100$ a Year for a newer device. (i.e. Landfill Android!).

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Landfill Android

"Thats 'cause these Chinese outfits fail to respect GPL. So you could spend +500$ for a device that might last for say can. Five Years... Or spend ca. ~100$ a Year for a newer device. (i.e. Landfill Android!)."

5 years is a very long time in this business, and I can't come up with any handset that has had 5 years of support. iPhone 4S is the oldest phone which got the IOS9 and that's a 4-year old model. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dropped support for it come next summer and IOSX. 5 years ago the Android models were fitted with Gingerbread - how many phones can be upgraded to Lollipop - and how painful the end result would be to use?

So, in the end, would you buy one of these landfills each year and surely have the latest OS and possibly some newer technology too, or hang on to the trusty relic that isn't getting any new apps and probably has had one battery replacement during its lifetime - if it was even replaceable? The battery and other hardware has a good chance to work for at least a year, and in EU (at least) you'll be covered by the warranty.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Landfill Android

Actually, SOME of these Chinese phone makers DO issue updates and offer support for their phones ...support IS the big issue, if the phone goes wrong you are effectively buggered; my Umi had duff GPS and it took over 6 months to exchange it for a replacement.

Xiaomi Hong Mi owner - waiting for Lollipop, the last update gave my phone a massive 50% boost in speed, but still wasnt full Lollipop. Xiaomi have been updating their more expensive phones first (as you do), and the Hong Mi is well down the list.

(Yeah, I gave up on ever getting the Umi replaced and bought the Xiaomi - then the Umi turned up a week later!!)

Paris - just because.

12. napalmDaz

Prefer it to my Nexus 5

I got one of these last week and was plesantly suprised, once having done the OTA updates to the 9th September version, it was very stable as fast. I switched to Nova launcher and used it for navigation from Northwich to Leeds and back 4 days in a row, one day which I didn't even use the USB cable to charge it while in the car. It has lossless bluetooth support so my synced Plex albums played back great over the car system while Waze directed me around the traffic. GPS lock is nice and fast. It supports Miravision built in, which is like the nVidia Colour Enhancement panel for the Mediatek SOC, which makes the screen "pop" almost like AMOLED. Call quality is very good and it connected to 4G on the Three network without fuss. The weight was a concern of mine at first as I also bought a UMI Iron to try out. I sold the UMI Iron on as it had more "niggles" than the Elephone. It's been solid so far over two weeks usage.

Mine came with SuperSU installed but the device was not rooted. A simple press in the app completed the process and I've noticed no downsides. This let me create a symlink to the SD card for the Plex sync library as Plex are dragging their heals with supporting an SD card on Lollipop.

The fingerprint lock option is also good for corporate device policies which enforce a PIN; its much more convenient!

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. boby
    Thumb Up

amazing phone

got the phone for two weeks from www.elephone.cc , it works well, although it has some bugs , it still a wonderful phone, we can fix the bugs after update the rom.

the battery can work whole day, and the camera is so good,unfortunately it can't support 3g network in Americas, i need change the APN appropriate for my carrier, then 4g network will be working

it still a good phone to use,lol

15. boby

amazing phone

got the phone for two weeks from www.elephone.cc , it works well, although it has some bugs , it still a wonderful phone, we can fix the bugs after update the rom.

the battery can work whole day, and the camera is so good,unfortunately it can't support 3g network in Americas, i need change the APN appropriate for my carrier, then 4g network will be working

it still a good phone to use,lol

16. Brenda McViking

Hmmmm

Amazing that you can get this spec for this price.

But in fixing the battery in place they've lost me as a potential customer. Just like seemingly every other phone manufacturer out there...

1. Nigel 11

Re: Hmmmm

Just maybe, batteries are now good enough that you really won't need to swap it. Saving 30p(?) on a battery connector in a £100 phone is significant, less so in a £500 phone that ought to be built to much higher standards. There's also the question of whether a replacement battery would be available when you needed it several years down the road (and the cost of making spares available ... that's another saving from fixing both the battery and the customer's expectations at the start).

2. alpine

Re: Hmmmm

"But in fixing the battery in place they've lost me as a potential customer"

Only by sticky tape, though you'd have to unsolder the 2 connection wires.

17. Yugguy

"There’s nothing in the way of bloatware."

Well I'm sold.

Every mainstream smartphone I've had has been riddled with utter shite from google and facebook and twatter and the manufacturer itself that I neither need nor want and disable immediately if I can. Shite like Sony's What's New, or Xperia Lounge.

109 quid?

Bargain.

18. druck Silver badge
    Meh

I really don't see how Samsung is going to be able to carry on charging the premium prices it does, with phones like this and many other now about. It's got all the features that I actually use on my S5 for a fraction of the price, in 9 months when my contract is up I doubt I'll go for the S7. No wonder their profits are tanking.

19. Chris Byers

I've been a big fan of Chinese phones for a while now and just got my daughter a Doogee 720p device for her first phone. For circa £65 (inc. shipping and import duties) she has a device that beats the spots off similarly priced supermarket entry level smartphones and you'd be paying well over £250 for something from a name brand with similar specs.

Yes, support can be slow, but I've never had a negative experience...yet!

20. Cody

And where exactly do you buy it for this price? On Amazon? Look it up, it seems to be £200-400.

1. TonkaToys

The article links to GearBest.com - they currently have it listed at £115.70 inc. shipping

21. Down not across

When we review...

No doubt we’ll see the same when we review the new Samsung Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge+, or Motorola Moto X Play.

I was under the impression that Samsung wasn't bringing the Note 5 to Europe. Yes, it is effectively same as S6 Edge+, but without the overhyped curved edges.

22. oneeye

Tempting

If only I could overcome my aversion to Chinese kit,I might indulge myself ....but I have read of way too many security kerfluffles coming out of that malware blackhole. Would bbe nice if someone could do a deepdive on the operating system background operations.

That said, the best feature is permission control, root access,and no bloatware.

Cons, are the lack of sensors, and other radio bands.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like