back to article Ofcom triples licence fees for mobile operators to £200m

Ofcom has tripled its spectrum use licences fees for O2, Vodafone, Three, and EE, pushing the figure to damn near £200m. The regulator concluded that mobile operators should pay a combined annual total of £80.3m for the 900MHz band, and £119.3m for the 1800MHz band. The spectrum is used to provide voice, and data via 2G, 3G …

1. David Gosnell

"The mobile industry has not previously had to pay market value for access to this spectrum"

How do you put a "market value" on a resource inherent to the universe we live in, again?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "The mobile industry has not previously had to pay market value for access to this spectrum"

You put them on the market, of course and let haggling commence.

This not being the case here....

1. m0rt

Re: "The mobile industry has not previously had to pay market value for access to this spectrum"

So, what does OFCOM think this licence fee price is for? The Administration costs?

I'm sorry, but since OFCOM does most of its administration in Excel spreadsheets (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/) I can't see this price being anything other than a way to wave: OI - You! Told you I was important, Im not just about trying to enforce DAB radio.

So do OFCOM think they are getting value for Money from the Taxpayer?

Well, i'm no Worstall, but I can work out that if companies are continually being pushed to produce bigger and bigger profits, which is what a company does, I can only see this being passed on to the 'Taxpayer', with the added bonus of probably VAT on top.

So as a taxpayer, I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you very much. Really. I mean it. I felt I wasn't paying enough as it is.

1. TheVogon

"since OFCOM does most of its administration in Excel spreadsheets "

Most financial traders and most businesses rely on Excel spreadsheets too, so not clear what your point is.

1. m0rt

"Most financial traders and most businesses rely on Excel spreadsheets too, so not clear what your point is."

Because it isn't like they have a massive development budget feed to administer these kind of things.

Sorry, I hope this is clearer.

2. Graham Marsden

"The mobile industry has not previously had to pay us enough for access to this spectrum"

FTFY!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its a stealthy tax rise. The mobile industry just passes the cost onto the consumer - in that sense they are just tax collectors. The government could cut out the middle man and tax calls at a penny a minute or whatever.

3. Grikath

"How do you put a "market value" on a resource inherent to the universe we live in, again?"

You do as soon as you control local access to a resource people want to use.

It's the modern variety of the medieval : "You want to pass the river? No Problem, Mate.. Just hand over a couple of Florins, and those archers in that fort over there become quite uninterested in setting your ship on fire. It's all the paperwork, y'see? "

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

So, like the actual "spectrum" itself...

Conjured up out of thin air?

Re: So, like the actual "spectrum" itself...

But the price will "trickle down".

3. Roland6 Silver badge

"Under the new regime, operators will now pay on a single date decided by Ofcom, as opposed to paying at different points of the year."

Are these amounts payable in advance or in arrears.

Also I take it that OFCOM can't handle monthly direct debits aka subscriptions.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why can't we use quantum mechanics? That would negate the need for frequencies or did I miss something in Quantum 101.

> did I miss something in Quantum 101

The answer to this question is complex with unit 1.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The answer to that is both yes and no; but it'll change as soon as you look at it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Tell that to my cat though I haven't looked yet,

5. eJ2095

Ofcom triples licence fees for mobile operators to £200m.....

It should read Ofcom triples licence fees for for the customers of the mobile operators to £200m

New bill will be passed onto customers no doubt

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

very first thing I thought.

thanks OFCOM.

2. Ralph B
      Joke

> New bill will be passed onto customers no doubt

Well, I hope EE doesn't do any cut backs in their Customer Service dept.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cancellations still working fine this morning providing PAC codes. Seriously, what's triple-charging for using your answerphone out of Europe all about (termination fees, incoming international fees whilst a message is left and international outgoing fees if you want to retrieve)?

EE proposed solution: turn it off - at exactly the time you'd probably like to have it on whilst you sleep.

I guess they have to find the money to cover spectrum licence fees from somewhere.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discount for 100% coverage?

Will there be a sliding scale of discounts based on operators offering better coverage paying less for their licences?

Or is that too sensible for all concerned?

7. Mage Silver badge

Idiots

The licences should be nominal cost and for a single infrastructure company that resells to Retail Operators. This will more than double efficiency because the spectrum is so limited.

Income from the VAT of the end users.

Taxing spectrum and splitting limited spectrum between companies is just greed and stupidity.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Idiots

"The licences should be nominal cost and for a single infrastructure company that resells to Retail Operators"

This sounds like "Openreach for for Mobile"; let's not go there...

8. CAPS LOCK

Another back-door tax...

... who do they think will end up paying this? As if I didn't know...

9. Nathan 13

This is taxing air

The old joke finally came true :)

10. Your alien overlord - fear me

It's the standard drug dealers sales tactics - give something away for free and once everyone is hooked, shaft them. If they'd increased ten fold, Joe Public still wants 4G to watch cat videos on YouTube whilst on mass transit so if any of the existing operators pulled out of even one frequency, they'd lose the majority of punters overnight.

I think the Monopolies Commish should investigate a blatent abuse of monopolistic powers by OfCom.

11. bigtimehustler

Yea, because we are all stupid enough OFCOM to to believe that the operators won't pass this onto the customers! Just give it them free and regulate it, your not gaining money for the tax payers, your gaining it for the government as a stealth tax. The only losers are the consumers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like