back to article Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Mobile preview update

Microsoft has rolled out Windows 10 Mobile build 10536 as part of its Insider Program Preview. It is likely that this build is close to the first full release, since the company has also sent out invitations to an event in New York on October 6, at which we are promised "exciting news about Windows 10 devices." Plausible …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh look new Windows 10 Mobile with even more added spying than Google's Android.

Congratulations, you've been MicroShafted.

1. John P

And the apps look like Android too!

2. adnim
    Meh

And...

consumers will consume the final release. I presume that Win 10 Mobile is as much spy-ware as desktop Win 10. Enjoy being the property of MS.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Coat

Re: And...

As opposed to being the property of Google or Apple?

I guess you are still using a pre-2000 Nokia basic mobile phone then and using a Linux PC running Lync to access the web?

1. adnim
        Meh

@big_D Re: And...

Defending one company's bad practice by stating others do the same is a hollow argument.

I use a mobile running Cyanogen, privacy guard active. It never connects to Google unless I allow it to. Most of Google servers and services are in the hosts file on the phone, same with MS servers and services. Apple has absolutely nothing I want so I don't go anywhere near them.

Hadn't you noticed that many of the readers here are IT professionals or have at least some clue and are able to exercise control over the hardware/software they use?

No I didn't down vote you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @big_D And...

Adnim,

It's not defending one company's bad practice, it's attacking another for hypocrisy over their Scroogled campaign.

Original AC.

2. big_D Silver badge

I wasn't defending MS, I was pointing out that they are all as bad as each other.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

big_D

MS didn't used to be as bad but now they are seriously taking the piss wanting to both to charge you for the software and Google style spy on you. I don't mind paying for the BBC because it has no adverts but I do object to Sky as I pay and get adverts.

2. ROC

Re: And... MORE Privacy settings, not less.

Actually, there seems to be even more granularity in privacy settings than with the PC version of Windows 10 - certainly more than with WP 8.1. Are you referring to something not managed by those settings (either PC or WP versions)? Have any of you checked out the settings?

1. ROC

Re: And... MORE Privacy settings, not less. Plus forced updates...

Well, I just found a downside today: as with the PC version, MS pushes changes onto YOUR device without permission! I doubt the weird workaround for the PC updates would work, but not too interested in jumping through those hoops anyway (i.e., as I understand it: back out update on your PC AFTER it is applied, and mark it somehow for not being re-applied ... if it does not totally wreck the W10 installation to keep you from doing all that).

Guess I will stick with WP 8.1 on my new Lumia 640 (and wife's) till MS "fixes" that obnoxiousness, or I bite the bullet to go back to Android, and switch it to CyanogenMod, whichever comes first.

And, yes, I do primarily run Linux on my PC's (Mint 17 MATE). Also, I use Lynx (not Lync since that won't run on Linux of course), although mostly as a file browser - SeaMonkey is my preferred graphical browser since it still retains the old Netscape look/feel, and for its email client for my emails from back in those days. I just dabble in Windows 8.x and 10, mostly to keep up with OS trends, but also to update my Garmin PND maps.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Why not 10538?

For those of us old enough to remember ELO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10538_Overture

Cute the massed Chello's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not 10538?

Chelllo's!

There were Vyolynne's, Trum's and Base too.

Lol!

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Why not 10538?

There were Vyolynne's, Trum's and Base too

Vyo Lynne was Jeff's emotional younger brother. Very highly strung.

On the article topic, I'm waiting for build 8675309.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Mobile preview update

...via a 6Gb forced 'telemetry improvement' software update, like it or not.

1. ROC

Re: Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 Mobile preview update

Hmm? My Lumia 635 only had a bit over 3GB free before the update from WP 8.1 (internal storage only - no SD card for testing), and still does after the update. Where do you get "6GB"?

5. Nathan 13

They can shove that

The same place where W10 desktop is. Anywhere except on any of my devices lol

6. kryptylomese

Spying on consumers is very big currency. It can be done both directly as in the case of Microsoft or you you can do it via inference. A lot of us use loyalty cards in supermarkets, and many of those cards give the holder some small recompense. I am not so naive to think that my actions are not recorded without my consent (even if they are inferred) but I so far, I am not seeing the recompense with Microsoft so I figure that we are all just being ripped off. I would rather they used the more difficult and cleverer method of inference if they are not going to even give us a free cup of coffee....

7. kryptylomese

Everyone knows that marking a comment down without a reply is like paying for sex without actually having sex....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do robots count in that equation?

8. zen1
    Mushroom

do not want

9. big_D Silver badge

Installed

It installed nicely on my 1020. It took about an hour and a half and the apps updated silently in the background after that.

This is the first preview version of 10 that I've installed and it certainly looks a lot cleaner than WP8.1. I'm not sure about the "burger" menus everywhere, the "..." in the lower right corner was always easier to access than the burger menu at the top of the screen, but otherwise it seems to be improved.

I also like that I can decide which apps get access to location information etc. Switching it on for Here+ navigation, but leaving WhatsApp and Twitter in the dark, for example, is a nice move in the right direction.

1. /\/\j17

Re: Installed

As a 1020 owner how to the new imaging apps stack up against the Nokia ones in 8.1?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Installed

A lot of the features for the 1020 are missing in action, they are scheduled to appear later. That said, I've never worked on images on the phone, I've always just used the standard camera app and imported them into Lightroom...

10. Arctic fox

"A feature called one-handed mode is now enabled on all device sizes."

I installed this build on a Lumia 640. The feature referred to seems to work extremely well. It is certainly of use on any phone 5 inches or over.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: "A feature called one-handed mode is now enabled on all device sizes."

That's as maybe, but it's still a hack. The old WinPho 7 interface basically never required you to do this, because they very sensibly put all the buttons along the bottom of the screen.

It's like big_D said about the old ... versus the new ≡ menu button placement. I still can't for the life of me work out why they decided to move stuff that by any usability metric was better off where it was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "A feature called one-handed mode is now enabled on all device sizes."

"they very sensibly put all the buttons along the bottom of the screen." - yes, giving you the opportunity of sending an incomplete email when you just meant to tap the frickin space bar.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I prefer Windows 10 to iOS 9, one louder.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like