back to article The UK IS better than Europe, FACT! (at implementing cybersecurity measures)

Initial analysis of the European cybercrime scene shown to The Register suggests a growing concern about the threat from targeted attacks, with British enterprises significantly ahead of their European counterparts in terms of cybersecurity measures. The research, commissioned by Trend Micro to better appreciate the security …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geography 101

I always thought the UK was in Europe ... or am I mistaken ? Without access to the original article the I take it that the European figures include the UK as well. Unless of course they are speaking of 'EU' countries in particular.

As an outsider the Europe-UK contextual divide sometimes has me confused. In what circumstances does the UK consider itself/is considered to be part of Europe, and when is it not?

1. raving angry loony

Re: Geography 101

Far as I was able to determine the UK considers itself part of Europe when they want money or business from the mainland, and not part of Europe when they have to pay for something. Although I noticed that the "we're not in Europe" attitude seemed to mostly be in England, less so in Scotland. Or that just might be because I lived mostly in England and hung out with the wrong crowd when I was in Scotland? Oh, and they're definitely not in Europe when one of the English football teams is playing on the mainland (not so much Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish football teams).

Remember, "fog in channel, continent isolated". As if the islands weren't also part of the continent.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Survey: Did you or could you get hacked?

Business: Of course not we implement very robust security measures, you'll have to take our word for it but we are very good and don't see it as wasting funds that could otherwise fund a nice trip to the maldives.

3. Mark 85
    Devil

Security?

Of course we do. We don't have a network or outside connections. We have Martha. When you need a file, call Martha and she'll bring it to you on a floppy disk. When you're done, she'll take the disk back to the file room and put it on the server. It slows us down a bit but we're not spending a lot of money on Security... bonuses will be great this year.

4. maffski

What constitutes 'targeted'

Something was definitely testing a couple of the websites I host last night.

So it was targeted in respect that it was an external attack explicitly directed against my sever but I think I'm safe in presuming that I was 'targeted' purely as the next IP in the list.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amont?

definately?

Seriously.. needs to do spell checks before sending out 'research'.

1. raving angry loony

It really sounds like a Register Friday night special, doesn't it? Although even completely rat-arsed El Reg still spells better.

6. Grikath

"All Europe"...

"..100 each in the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.""

Interesting... now my geography left me under the impression that those 5 countries most definitely aren't "all of Europe". Last time I checked, the continent still extends past Moscow, and well past Istanbul.

The dig at eastern European nations (and their potential preparedness for Haxx0rz ) aside, the survey strangely exludes worthies as the Netherlands and Ireland, who both have a pretty substantial share in international trade and business.

When it comes to who does what in europe, maybe the surveyors should have realised it's 2015, not 1915...

1. Chemist

Re: "All Europe"...

"Last time I checked, the continent still extends past Moscow, and well past Istanbul."

Not quite that simple. Some countries are 'transcontinental' like the Russian Fed. & Turkey. The demarcation line for Turkey for example is the Bosporus and Dardanelles. So Istanbul is in Europe but most of Turkey is in Asia.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like