back to article It's 2015 and a text file can hack your Apple Watch. IS THIS THE FUTURE YOU WANTED?

Five days after delaying the release of watchOS 2, Apple has posted an update for its smartwatch operating system. The watchOS 2 update brings the introduction of native apps for the Apple Watch, a new set of privileges that will allow developers previously limited to iOS applications the ability to access the Watch's …

1. Cirdan
    Trollface

Gratuitous jab at Adobe much?

I mean, I do...

But what has that to do with the iWatch?

Good Lord, iWatch runs Flash now?!?!?

...Cirdan...

1. frank ly

Re: Gratuitous jab at Adobe much?

Let's face it, Flash Player patches aren't 'news' anymore.

2. Sureo

37 security fixes for a watch? WTF? Think I'll stick with my Timex.

1. stucs201

Casio here, but similar sentiment. Watch security should mean a strap that won't accidentally fall off your wrist.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

The closest thing to a smart watch I'll ever have

Last year I bought a TI MSP430-based watch to play around with it, it will probably be the closest thing to a "smart watch" that I'll ever touch. I've been using it to display the public keys to my bastion boxes when you put it in the right mode. This way I can be assured that my connection hasn't been tampered with by any of the spy agencies and I can ensure it never leaves my body since it doesn't set off metal detectors and the customs folk don't even bother with it and thus compromise the keys.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: The closest thing to a smart watch I'll ever have

I got one of those TI MSP430 development kits as a present a while back, and spent a little time this summer playing around with it. Not really practical (this is early-release hardware and software and the watch crashes pretty regularly), but fun. And yes, I expect it's the closest I'll ever want to come to a "smartwatch".

3. Tommy Pock

I need to update the software on my wristwatch but my wife's charging her cigarette.

The future is rubbish.

4. Hud Dunlap
    Unhappy

And Apple wants to build a car?

See subject.

1. Danny 14

Re: And Apple wants to build a car?

I'd wait till service pack 1

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And Apple wants to build a car?

Google have managed it and their mobile OS is every much a clusterfuck as iOS.

5. Lostintranslation

"Adobe, meanwhile, has posted an update of its own to address 23 flaws in Flash Player"...

I am in awe at how Adobe managed to pack hundreds of flaws into a file that is only 18mb large.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's easy. Adobe are a subsidiary of the TLA to make it easier for the spooks to hack your PC.

The other alternative is that they are utterly incompetent - which I discounted as no-one can be that stupid.

3. Shady

I am in awe that dozens of flaws are being found every month in a runtime that is nearly twenty years old. There must have been so much duff code in there I'm surprised the original release had the ability to print Hello World

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

ron_paul_doom_levels.jpg

6. N2

Fools and their money...

Easily parted,

Crap security aside, you have to charge this thing up at night?

Im sticking with my 20 odd year old tick tock thank you

1. Brenda McViking
      Black Helicopters

Re: Fools and their money...

I've seen just one useful application of an iWatch. I was lucky enough to get a flight with a display pilot, and he showed me how he used an ipad to input a flight plan with a specific time-on-target. He then sync'ed the data to his watch, which displayed 2 continuously updating variables - first the necessary speed to achieve that target and second the direction.

When we were up in the air, 5 minutes late due to departing ryanair flights getting priority, we deleted one of the waypoints, the watch displayed the updated figures which of course were now quite different to the initial flight plan and we made it to the target at the absolute correct time (and did a mock dambuster run on Carsington water at exactly 14:35)

So, if you're a member of the niche market of probably 1000 display pilots worldwide that want to make your life a bit easier, I think this might be quite a good purchase. Of course being mad is part of the job description, which helps.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Sounds like previous version was garbage.

Also why those sort of core features not in original version?

So the impression is low quality rushed software with too much effort into appearance. Thus the current version will also be full of bugs and exploits. You don't patch in or test in quality, it's designed in then carefully implemented. Sounds like they need a careful redo from scratch.

1. VinceH

Re: Sounds like previous version was garbage.

"So the impression is low quality rushed software with too much effort into appearance"

But don't you get it? It's from Apple.

Apple.

That means it's wonderful, and perfect. Even if it has flaws, it's perfect. It's from Apple.

You don't understand*.

* And nor do I.

2. hplasm
      Coat

Re: Sounds like previous version was garbage.

"...careful redo from scratch."

Doesn't he live in Ankh-Morpork now? I didn't know he did iStuff development...

8. James 51

Title is too long

"Other new features include the "Time Travel" feature – to view upcoming appointments by turning the Digital Crown (read: dial) on the Watch to move the clock ahead"

Is using a dial rather than buttons enough to stop Pebble from crying foul?

1. Danny 14

Re: Title is too long

I doubt they care. How do you fight a company with $178b in cash? Challenge the patents through the US courts? errr.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only if they have a patent, which they won't because the feature is obvious.

1. James 51

Apple have never let that stop them.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Wow...

"and a new "nightstand" mode to display a clock face while the Watch is charging at night."

A watch that shows the time.

I'm stunned at this "innovation"

1. Danny 14

Re: Wow...

It only shows the time whilst charging/you are asleep. The rest of the time the watch reminds you how awesome you are. Then in the future will remind you to purchase the new iwatch as you aren't as awesome as you used to be with the old iwatch.

2. g e

Re: Wow...

Incidentally, my Liege, this is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped

</python>

10. BeerTokens

pebble time

The time travel dial sounds a lot like pebble time to me.

11. martinusher Silver badge

Digital Crown?

I've got an old Timex that's got one of these -- default its used to set the time and date but you can access it from your applications. (Did you know that watches that ran applications have been around for a decade? Sure, the technology's a bit limited, the processor is just a Z80 variant and there's hardly any RAM to work with, but at least the battery lasts a year or so.) Its just another Apple 'feature' that they've appropriated and made their own.

(As for the modern watch, I bought a Andriod watch off a Chinese site for $23 and change (shipping included). 's OK, especially for reading texts, but I don't find talking to my wrist particularly convenient. Maybe I should look at writing it a few applications. If I can be bothered.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like