back to article BORN to HURL: Man's shoulders are head and shoulders above apes, gorillas, chimps etc

Top-level bone fondlers delving back into humanity's remote past say that the key adaptation which lifted us from the ruck of other primates was a change to the shoulder permitting us - among other things - to play cricket by hurling balls and wielding bats. "These changes in the shoulder, which were probably initially driven …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. dogged

Re: Cricket vs. Baseball.

There's nothing obscure about LBW! You protect the wicket with your bat, not your leg. Doing so with your leg is automatic dismissal for being a dashed cheating bounder and cad.

1. iranu

"There's nothing obscure about LBW! You protect the wicket with your bat, not your leg. Doing so with your leg is automatic dismissal for being a dashed cheating bounder and cad."

Incorrect. If the ball pitches outside leg stump you cannot be out LBW. In fact it's accepted practice to defend the stumps by "padding" the ball away (blocking it's path to the stumps with the leg) when the ball pitches outside leg stump. This is often done against spin bowling.

So yes it is more obscure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LBW is simple. If the ball was going to hit the wicket but you stop it with your leg ( rather than bat ), you're out.

If you want obscure rules, look up the Duckworth Lewis Method * for determining the winner in a short form match that has been cut short by rain.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth%E2%80%93Lewis_method

1. BoldMan

I prefer the songs sung by the Duckworth-Lewis Method... (especially Jiggery Pokery!)

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Jiggery-Pokery ... Ozzie skulduggery!

Top notch tune, and I don't even like cricket :)

2. iranu

"LBW is simple. If the ball was going to hit the wicket but you stop it with your leg ( rather than bat ), you're out."

Nope, totally wrong. You cannot be out LBW if the ball pitches outside leg stump. You cannot be out LBW if the ball pitches outside off-stump if you are playing a shot. Read Law 36.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DocJames
            Pint

@iranu "You cannot be out if the ball pitches outside off-stump if you are playing a shot. "

No. You cannot be out LBW if the ball _HITS_ you outside of off-stump if you are playing a shot. See what I mean in my original post now? :-)

And to reinforce this, if bowling down leg side and the ball pitches outside leg stump, the batsman cannot be out LBW. Whether the batsman plays a shot or not. And once you strike the ball with your bat, you are then free to kick merrily away at the ball as much as you wish.

I think. It's been a while...

Icon for enjoying with cricket. And to the Douglas reference.

1. Just Enough
              Boffin

Thanks to all for a practical example of why LBW is not obscure and very simple.

7 posts and its definition is still being argued...

3. TheVogon

"Cricket vs. Baseball. "

Baseball is just Rounders with more spitting. Nothing like Cricket.

4. TheVogon

"Primitive monkeys, apes etc are of course well known for their poo-flinging antics"

A bit harsh to refer to our Australian Cricket playing friends like that, but only fair I suppose:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/9143892/Aussie-politician-in-faeces-throwing-row

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a Yank I say baseball is definitely more of a p*ssy sport. Neither are that high on the Carlin criteria of a true sport but at least the cricket ball can be lethal and tends to cause more nasty injuries as well. In baseball about the only time you see life threatening injuries is due to hitbacks at the pitcher and maybe once a generation in the pros on a hit batter as well.

1. TheVogon

"As a Yank I say baseball is definitely more of a p*ssy sport."

That must be why they have all the piles of sand dotted around the field - In case they get caught short?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Baseball is an utterly crap game where as cricket is sporting heaven.

Ps and I refuse to call football soccer, you kick the ball with feet thus it's called football.

1. Dagg Silver badge
        Trollface

>Ps and I refuse to call football soccer, you kick the ball with feet thus it's called football.

Actually you can use any body part as long as it is not your hands. You can use your head, chest, bum etc that means soccer should be called nonhand ball.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. asdf

>which the feet are used about as much as in the two codes of rugby football.

Actually usually significantly less.

2. MJI Silver badge

Rugby foot usage

I think feet were used a lot in the 2003 world cup final by Jonny Wilkinson

3. Jagged

"I refuse to call football soccer, you kick the ball with feet thus it's called football."

- True. The only people that call it "soccer" are those chasing after the American dollar. To the rest of the world, its Football.

2. Elmer Phud
    FAIL

Nothing?

Nothing about 'overarm' bowling being invented by mere girlies?

Nothing about it beiing banned by males as the girlies were too good for them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing?

Citation?

1. Elmer Phud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overarm_bowling

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

However, so the story goes, John Willes became the first bowler to use a “round-arm” technique after practising with his sister Christina, who had used the technique, as she was unable to bowl underarm due to her wide dress impeding her delivery of the ball.

Used not invented? It may very well be that John Willes invented the technique for his sister.

What about the 'banned' citation?

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Please do not use Wikifailia for citations on The Register. It's just not cricket.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Only one thing to say

Botham failed to get his leg over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVTpX7LdZQ

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Re: Only one thing to say

"Oh Aggers do stop it!" - The late and much missed Johnners

1. BoldMan

Don't forget "The batsmans Holding, the bowlers Willy"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Don't forget...

That joke also works with the correct deployment of apostrophes.

1. Tom 38

Two Twenty Two for Two after Twenty Two overs here at the Adelaide Oval....

If you like cricket, and haven't heard of Billy Birmingham, well, you're in for a fun night.

2. kbb

Not forgetting The Commentators - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3bl4xaFZMM "It's a long, slow, lazy delivery...but it's the best I can do."

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Not forgetting The Commentators

Who's on first?

2. Sarah Balfour

I'm a bit late (as per usual) but what was that Sellers skit, with the chess board to the side of the wicket, and they had to make a move between each over…? It was called summat like 'How Cricket Looks To An American/The Americans', tried searching YT, but I can't be searching for the right string, coz I can't feckin' find it!

Either that, or nobody's uploaded it, but I feel certain I've found it on there before! I could be muddling my Peters and it was Cook, but it seems more a Sellers thing to me…

Anyone…?

4. TheProf
    Facepalm

Again?

"Roach has made such suggestions before."

Well it's given you the opportunity to publish the phrase 'poo-flinging' again.

1. Mephistro
      Coat

Re: Again?

Well it's given you the opportunity to publish the phrase 'poo-flinging' again.

YES!!!

And you... and me!!!

It's like a virus!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Again?

Like a virus? Only if you catch it.

5. Anonymous Custard
    Headmaster

Gorillas?

Having seen some of the flinging abilities of beasts such as Mountain Gorillas, one cannot help but wonder how a test batsman would actually cope against a ball bowled by one. Given they seem to be both quite accurate, and in possession of roughly 10x the strength of the average human.

1. Jagged

Re: Gorillas?

Well it would be ruled a "No Ball" obviously. ::(

1. Dave Harris
        Happy

@Jagged Are you going to tell the gorilla that?

2. Eric Olson

Having seen some of the flinging abilities of beasts such as Mountain Gorillas, one cannot help but wonder how a test batsman would actually cope against a ball bowled by one. Given they seem to be both quite accurate, and in possession of roughly 10x the strength of the average human.

Well, it you believe the prior article by Roach et al., the structures of the human form are uniquely suited to the act of throwing a projectile with great force and accuracy. While it focused on chimps, the theory is that among primates, only our shoulders and the associated kinetic chain has the ability to generate and release the energy in a concentrated manner. This apparently was also noted by Darwin, without the luxury of motion-capture and high-speed photography.

However, I certainly would not want to try to out-hug a gorilla. I feel as though it would end quite quickly... and definitely not in my favor.

3. Yugguy

Aye - I'd have also thought that the huge strength advantage would negate any technical disadvantage

1. Dazed and Confused

> Aye - I'd have also thought that the huge strength advantage would negate any technical disadvantage

It would probably allow the gorilla to throw a ball 10 times the weight of a human, but not necessarily with 10 times the speed of release.

Of course bowlers in cricket have to use a very inefficient action, they're not allowed to chuck the ball using all the joints to generate a whip like action.

6. Alister

A contradiction

You quite rightly quote The Hitchhiker's Guide with regard to the origins of Krikkit and yet earlier in the same piece you say:

the trusty bat that is the mark of an advanced civilisation with time to devote to leisurely, non-warlike pursuits.

Only on Earth was the memory of the dreadful Krikket wars remembered dimly, and considered a fit subject to turn into a slow, boring, incomprehensible game by the race known as the English, and it is for this reason that the rest of the galaxy shuns us.

7. TitterYeNot

Poo-flinging antics

"Primitive monkeys, apes etc are of course well known for their poo-flinging antics, but it seems that in fact they are ill-suited physically to this task and if modern humans were to throw dignity to the winds (along with some faecal matter) the monkeys would come off worst in any contest."

Blimey, don't let our worthy Parliamentarians know about this, Prime Minister's Questions could dissolve into a scatalogical farce. On second thoughts though, thinking about the entertainment value...

Joking aside, its always interesting to read this sort of research into the science of human developement and the way it gives the lie to guff like intelligent design. If we aren't evolved from ancestors who used to live in trees and walk on all fours, but were 'designed' to be the way we are today, why do we have shoulders which are "comparatively flimsy and prone to breakdowns such as rotator cuff injuries" relative to current day apes, and have an 'S' shaped spine that allows us to stand upright at the expense of common lumbar vertebrae problems (i.e. the vast majority of humans experience lower back damage and pain.)

1. Anonymous Coward/2.0
      Devil

Re: Poo-flinging antics

"Joking aside, its always interesting to read this sort of research into the science of human developement and the way it gives the lie to guff like intelligent design. If we aren't evolved from ancestors who used to live in trees and walk on all fours, but were 'designed' to be the way we are today,"

That's easy to explain. God really doesn't like us thats why he intelligently designed in all the flaws.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

God works in mysterious ways is the standard answer to that.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

I would too if there weren't any performance metrics for my work

2. Charles 9

If God really didn't like us, then why are we still here?

Anyway, I'm not going to go into the whole cricket-baseball business because I, an American, actually like to watch both games. And each has its intricacies so can stand on its own. Play either way, I say.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Joke

"If God really didn't like us, then why are we still here?". So many gods, and they cannot agree on it.

2. damworker
          Joke

"If God really didn't like us, then why are we still here?"

Pray you never find out.

3. Yugguy

I do sometimes wonder why God hasn't reached out, crushed the Earth between thumb and forefinger and then wandered offf, shuddering slightly and muttering "well, THAT was a mistake..."

4. Jagged

"If God really didn't like us, then why are we still here?"

- Give it a while and that will answer itself.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

That's easy to explain. God really doesn't like us thats why he intelligently designed in all the flaws.

This statement is flatly contradicted by the Pub Landlord. Who through a rigorous chain of deductions demonstrates that the existence of bacon proves that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

1. Mark 85
          Pint

Bacon? I thought it was "beer"... but actually the Benjamin Franklin quote is about "wine"...

http://beer.about.com/od/historyofbeer/f/Did-Benjamin-Franklin-Really-Say-Beer-Is-Proof-That-God-Loves-Us-And-Wants-Us-To-Be-Happy.htm

So maybe we are loved...

2. Mephistro

"In the beginning Man created God;

and in the image of Man

created he him."

( From 'Aqualung', by Jethro tull)

3. DocJames

Blimey, don't let our worthy Parliamentarians know about this, Prime Minister's Questions could dissolve into a scatalogical farce. On second thoughts though, thinking about the entertainment value...

See "Great Apes", by Will Self.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1408827409?keywords=great%20apes&qid=1441971994&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

8. Smileyvirus

You know women play cricket too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the same way men are nurses, i.e.: a statistical anomaly.

1. Deevo

Well, judging by the Australian Women's Cricket Team, they play it better than the men!

2. Chris G

An ex girlfriend had an aunt who played for the England ladies team, she wore a lot of tweed and walked around with a dinky lady's pipe clenched between her teeth, eccentric but a nice interesting woman. She could out bowl and out drin k me.

9. rootsid

To Hurl in the United States

As a speaker of "American English" the title "Born to Hurl" caught my eye. My linguistic heritage lead me to think "Born to Vomit" an odd title for an article.

1. Rich 11

Re: To Hurl in the United States

I've no doubt the author had that interpretation in mind, this being El Reg.

10. Dave Harris
    Pint

Wonderful phrase: "bone-bothering boffins", Lewis, have one of these -->>

11. Nevermind

Stoolball...that is all

12. Your alien overlord - fear me

All the world's civilised (civilized for the USA readers) nations (aka ruled by GREAT Britain at one time) play the proper game. Only one doesn't and lets face it. Civilised?

I also believe they drive their cars on the wrong side of the road. Why? Because they're dicks I presume.

(Just trying to get my downvote score up)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only the second empire counts. The first empire, we were just working things out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess by your definition you consider Japan not a civilized nation, though their industrial progress would indicate otherwise. Also, they found American baseball to be pretty fun and have adopted the game as well, to the point they have their own professional league comparable in nature to that of the US.

As for driving on the wrong side, well, that was mainly the result of the postilion. Stagecoach drivers and the like tended to favor sitting on the left side with the whip in the typically-strong right hand and driving on the right since their concern was more collisions than running off a vaguely-defined edge of road in mostly-level terrain. If there was a passenger to the driver's other side, he tended to be the guard, thus why we call that the "shotgun" seat.

1. TheVogon

"Also, they found American baseball to be pretty fun and have adopted the game as well"

They also sell used "Scratch and Sniff" underwear in vending machines as fun: http://imgur.com/gallery/RZHEfwh

So I'm not sure Japan being the prime example of adoption of your national sport is particularly a good thing...

1. MattPi

"So I'm not sure Japan being the prime example of adoption of your national sport is particularly a good thing..."

Baseball is a America's National Pastime much like England rules the waves: it was once true, and still kind of is, but most people know it's not really true.

As for baseball being related to Cricket, if, as an American with some baseball knowledge, I can watch 30 minutes of a match and map most of the Cricket play into baseball rules without much difficulty, there must be some common ancestry there.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Downvoted you just because you asked. Yes, I'm American. Yes, a lot of people are turd-slinging idiots here. No, we don't drive on the wrong side of the road; we drive them on the right side of the road!

13. roger stillick
    Boffin

Blame it on the Atlatl and natural selection

IMHO= the Atlatl w/it's unique bone launching hook and twin-holed stone weight has been found in every cave site on every continent that pre-history man lived in as far back as 50k years ago.

This simple weapon allowed man to kill just about everything else for food... got us out of the caves...spears and bows n arrows MUCH later for warefare use...RDS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon