back to article PernixData offers dollops of free software … you’ll upgrade later, ya will, ya will

PernixData, the distributed ESXi hypervisor cacher, has announced three new developments: FVP 3, a FVP free option, and a VM management tool called Architect to optimise storage IO. FVP 3.0 provides vSphere 6.0 support, an HTML5-based user interface, and adds Pernix Plus, anonymised data collection from customers’ systems to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copied press release?

Kinda sounds like it. :(

1. Jo_seph_B

Re: Copied press release?

They must have got the same marketing email that I got this morning. Might hit the Spam filter though....

Still wish they'd stop saying free. You need hardware to run this, its not caching in fresh air!

1. avh

Re: Copied press release?

If you already have a running esxi cluster and have some available ram in the cluster then you don't need to purchase any additional hardware. If your memory constrained then you would have to consider your options.

2. swissarmyknife

Nothing so irritating

As moving the goal...which is what this does. Is there a business case for doing this? Yes, several. Is a clickbait title of hybrid is dead, or some other such stupidity immediately going to make me no take you seriously? Yes.

Hybrid arrays, flash arrays, yes they're expensive. But you're moving the problem. If I have a hundred hosts, then you can easily do the math and see where this is a bad decision. I'm using expensive Ram (not horribly expensive, but expensive enough), then I'm adding software licensing. I'm buying once for that array, I'm incurring the pernix cost, every SINGLE time I enable a host to do caching.

A few hosts? Sure, that's not a bad idea. Enterprise-wide? Don't be daft. You're looking 8-10k per host, all costs combined. By the time I hit that dozen mark, I'm thinking that 50k add-on to my array is looking a lot better. By the time I hit 20 hosts, that all flash array looks charming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing so irritating

Do not know where you got your pricing from...

FVP Standard Ed, 3 hosts, 1yr platinum support - £12k all inclusive VAT. This is education sector pricing, so add another 10% on top - £13,200 all in.

But I do agree with your enterprise wide statement - unless you compare it to an AFA SAN.

Source - i have the quote in front of me :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon