back to article Microsoft criticizes EU's 'unreasonable' judgement

Microsoft has opened its promised appeal against a European Union court fine of $1.4bn (899m euros), calling the charge "unreasonable" and "error prone". The Commission ruled in February Microsoft had used high prices to discourage competition, and that it had failed to comply with earlier sanctions levied by the Commission. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Deryk Barker

Oooh , you rotten Europeans

Its not fair - we do this stuff everywhere else and nobody complains.

Maybe the EU DOES have some point after all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

I guess there is only so many countrys you can bribe at once?

Wow, and I though MS was taking it to new levels sneaking IP via the back door, but now the dad has found the dirty sneaks in with his daughter and he is heading for his gun :)

Bamm bamm said the EU. "arg no, but I only have a small one!!" - pleads MS.

I wonder if its cheaper for MS to pay the fines than to grease the wheels, as there is a lot of wheels on the EU tractor.

On a more sensible note, yea i have to say i rather like being a European when they do things like this makes me want to kiss a French woman more than normal.

-p

3. Kwac
    Gates Halo

I blame the Irish

If they hadn't voted against the Lisbon Treaty we would have a European President who could block anti-American punishments on companies that abuse their position - just like Bush gave the finger to the anti-American courts in the USA.

4. Glen
    Paris Hilton

re: bribing multiple countries at once...

this is how we were going to pay for galileo :P

then the cost estimates ballooned, so we had to fine them to get the money (after acepting the bribes, of course ;-) )

allegedley.

5. Terry Blay
    Jobs Horns

I wonder...

...How keen the commission would be to bring MS to book, if it was originally a european company, than an American one...

I can kind of understand if Uncle Sam doesn't want to hurt one of it's world market leaders' businesses too much, although I'm glad the EU commission stands up against Ballmer & Co. ... at least they do for now...

6. Martin Owens

Satire from Kwac?

It must be! why the hell would American courts be anti-American. it's it more likely that Bush is anti American having actually broken several rather important laws? (see DK's Impeachment articles)

7. Andraž Levstik

Tehehe

According to Microsoft, the Commission made a "manifest error" in deciding its prices were unreasonable saying the prices were "intended to facilitate negotiations between Microsoft and the prospective licensees."

What negotiations... microsoft is a take it or leave it type system...

Among other claims, Microsoft said the Commission had ignored evidence from patent experts on the subject of whether Microsoft's trade secrets were innovative.

Guess what... EU doesn't and hopefully will NEVER have swpats... so there is no innovation there...

I so hope microsoft looses again... and they should be given a bonus fine for being unreasonable...

8. Mark

Re: I wonder

What, you mean like german telecom who got the biggest fine ever?

Didn't know that the americans created that one.

Twonk.

9. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Paris Hilton

Auntie American?

Irish American.

Wasn't one of the chimpanzee's ancestors responsible for all the problems in Ireland, ever?

10. James Anderson
    Gates Horns

While they are at it.

Perhaps the EU could investigate the practice of charging £60 over and above the cost of the useless Vista in order to get an OS that sort of works.

Dell are currently offering the actual verbal gymnastics form the web site is:

"Genuine Windows® Vista™ Business with XP Pro installed and Vista Media - English [add £60.00]".

Would this happen in any other industry. This is surely a prima facia case of market abuse by a monopoly supplier. The market place wants old (relatively) reliable XP and the monopoly suppiler insists you must buy a product you dont want then pay an extra suppliment for the product you do want.

What if Merecedes insisted you buy one of thier silly Smart cars before you could have an option to buy a real one?

11. Giles Jones Gold badge

Paying is agreeing

Paying a fine is admitting you did wrong. There's no way Microsoft will do that.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

LOL

You have got to love the EU for doing this.

Poor Microsoft , HA HA

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Martin Owens

Don King is trying to impeach Bush?

14. anarchic-teapot

"unreasonable" and "error prone"

Well, MS would certainly know about that since every OS they release starts out unreasonably priced and bug-ridden.

To be fair they're not the only ones, but they *are* the living proof that "economies of scale" applies only to production costs when a monopoly or near-monopoly situation exists.

15. NB
    Paris Hilton

every now and again...

the EU does something simply awesome and this is one of those times. I just hope we stick to our guns and never backdown. Hopefully the EU will also increase MS's fine and charge them with wasting the courts time.

Paris cos she's pretty fine too.

16. Lager And Crisps
    Jobs Horns

...wait for it!

Cue the Microsoft apologists in 3-2-1...

17. Edward Rose

@Terry Blay

The EU courts would be much happier bringing a EU company to task for misconduct as there are no fears of international trade 'upsets'. There is generally more politics than justice in anything of this scale.

Upsetting your own companies isn't a issue.

18. Luther Blissett
    Gates Horns

"Unreasonable" and "error-prone"

Like all narcissists, it seems M$ can't help referring to itself even as it complains about others.

19. Nigel
    Thumb Up

Wasn't this fine per day?

I seem to remember that Microsoft were being fined per day for being in contempt of court, after not releasing the protocol specifications that the court ordered it to.

In which case the size of the fine is purely of Microsoft's making, and were presumably calculated to maximise their profits by holding up the development of competing products for as long as possible.

Thumbs up for the EU, because in this case they are the 100% good guys.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am on the EU's side as long as they also promise to get rid of Phorm

The title says it all.

21. g e

Now if only

UK would stop being the fkn 51st state of the usa and join the EU fully....

Like USA would ever want Brent Crude priced in Euros while it still flows...

Like UK.gov would ever want direct price comparisons in the same currency to stuff on the EU mainland...

Like Hell would freeze over .... ;o)

And then I woke up....

22. Aodhhan

MSFT should pay the fine then...

Stop selling any products or provide support to the European community. Give them a whole new light on how much the applications are worth.

23. Smoovious
    Unhappy

anti-American?

Why shouldn't our courts in the US be anti-American?

They're part of the gov't, and our own gov't itself is anti-American...

-- Smoovious

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like