back to article What Reg readers really think will affect IT in the next three years...

The rate of change in IT and business has never been more rapid. When it comes to how your organisation uses IT, standing still is not an option. But keeping track of advances in technology and the new solutions becoming available in the market place isn’t always that easy, and few Reg readers have the time or resources to …

1. Michael Hawkes

Predictions

I predict a few more IT buzzwords will catch fire in the next three years, and that some non-IT journalists will inevitably use them in an incorrect manner. Don't say whatsit when you mean doohickey.

2. hplasm
    Paris Hilton

The meteoric plunge

of Windows?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The meteoric plunge

You wish.

3. Mephistro
    Unhappy

I thought they were going to name also ...

... PCM (or similar) memory. When (if) that shit hits the streets, it'll open entirely new roads for IT, together with several cans of worms. Doing massive data interception/decryption on an industrial scale will be orders of magnitude easier, faster and cheaper, putting it well into the reach of the ERGN(Enterprising Russian Guys Network) or the SOALN (Scions of the Over Abundant Lagos Nobility) or other similar entities.

Interesting times, indeed! :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought they were going to name also ...

Indeed. Mega fast main storage is going to be an enabler of so many technologies.

AI is going to be increasing a real thing in most people's lives. We've already seen medical diagnosis.

Robotics is going to be a *huge* industry which is why so many tech companies are interested in it.

The real kicker will be when innovation come mostly from the technology that we're producing.

At that point, it will become an automatic accelerating cycle.

I don't remember where or when I saw it, but there was an article I read somewhere about circuit design by automated methods trying out thousands of possible designs to come up with new and inventive circuit possibilities that no-one would ever think of by the normal imaginative and innovative methods that we normally use. I do remember a comment from the researchers about them not being particularly sure why some of those generated designs worked in the way that they did.

When our technology transcends our own understanding, then we will become the servants and the technology will become the master.

4. GitMeMyShootinIrons
    Joke

3D TV

Yes, This will be the year of 3D TV. And Linux on the desktop. And we'll all be zipping around with Jetpacks, while roasting chestnuts on our home thermo-nuclear pile.

1. DocJames
      Mushroom

Re: 3D TV

Nah. Chestnuts wouldn't roast cos cold fusion, is, like, cold?

Obvious icon is obvious

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The destruction of the internet

as Russia takes control of mainland Europe east of Calais.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Risk being understood as corporate risk

It would be good if this happens. It's possible, but there's a very long way to go before corporate governance understands that it is required to both understand and control the risk in IT.

You still have people using Microsoft Exchange for company sensitive e-mail, long after Snowden has shown that it is spyware for US companies.

You still have people using closed-source routers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like