back to article Hey, glassholes: Google patents movement-sensing, shape-shifting specs

Keeping your glasses on the bridge of your nose as you move around is a problem for which Google has a solution. The Chocolate Factory has filed a patent for glasses which mechanically alter their shape. Much like peril-sensitive sunglasses, they monitor what you are doing and react. Unfortunately this isn't a reaction to …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Already drifting OT ...

whatever happened to the idea of using a film of liquid curved with electrostatic force to replace solid lenses ? Maybe bit premature for eyeglasses, but for cameras ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So excessive wrist action would cause the glasses to tighten around the head?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Old joke

Why can't people who wear glasses never some ?

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

Power?

You must have cropped that diagram, the little man is towing a trolley carrying a car battery to power his specs :(

4. stucs201

"steampunk motors"

Clockwork, not motors!

5. TRT Silver badge

I found some Google glasses in my bosses backpack...

admittedly, I was hunting for food at the time. He tricked me into putting them on, telling me that anyone who wears the band has instant access to all knowledge without having to learn it. Now if my master recites the secret mantra told to him by Buddha, the band tightens and there is much pain. So I must accompany my master to recover holy scriptures from India.

"A long time ago when men were all babes

There was a land of the free

Fantasy and dreams

Were its untouched wealth

And goodness and love were real"

1. Thecowking

Re: I found some Google glasses in my bosses backpack...

You mustn't have been Wukong hard enough.

6. TheProf
    Facepalm

Needs more work

I wear reading glasses so they rarely fall off except when I lean over the back of the TV/monitor/stack of books etc. Then they have a tendency to leave the vicinity of my face. In such circumstances I am not usually wielding a mobile phone.

What spectacles need is a sticky pad on the bridge of the nose.

On the subject of 'smart' glasses isn't it about time we had auto-focus lenses that could determine what the wearer is looking at and alter the diopter to match the distance?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Needs more work

The Opti-grab

7. corestore

Steampunk

OK I have a spare Glass or two lying around; I am *totally* giving a set to an artist friend for a steampunk-look makeover! :D

8. Yugguy

Advanced visual motion scanners??

Oooh, ooh, I have these built in.

They're called my FUCKING EYES.

FFS.

1. ItsNotMe
      Mushroom

Re: Advanced visual motion scanners??

The dumbing down of the Human race continues. Farcebook...Twatter...IoT devices...now this shit.

Lemmings of the world rejoice...your latest trendy thingy is about to arrive.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> The patent envisages that a separate device, such as a wristband or phone, will determine the movement and the frame will tension itself accordingly.

So what advantages does this system offer over the neoprene lanyard I got off ebay for a quid?

1. Pliny the Whiner

The More You Know

As far as I can tell, the neoprene lanyard isn't designed to crush your skull. So, if you ever wake up at 3:00 in the morning with an overwhelming desire to pee and have your skull crushed, Google's technology allows you to do one of those things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like