back to article PSST! You wanna iPhone 6S Plus? YOINK! You can't have one - Apple

Delivery of Apple's latest and most lickably gorgeous large-screen iPhone may be delayed - thanks to manufacturing problems, apparently. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities says a problem with the 6S Plus's backlight is delaying production, and could result in a shortage of handsets. The egghead places the issue at the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They do this every release. Pathetic really

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But but..

How can I show people how successful I am instead of flashing around a £800 toy phone in the meantime?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What, sell out all inventory? That's rather impressive, no? Oh. You're insinuating that its done on purpose. You realise how bitter you sound?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because the smart thing to do is to always underestimate your sales to some degree, not overestimate them. Otherwise you've got $billions tied up in a warehouse somewhere which is pointless. They've already presumably got 10m devices built and ready to go (they don't magicly build them in a single day you know) which is in itself an estimate of what they will sell as a minimum and carries some amount of risk. It also takes time to build them, so they've got to split the balance between a Gold/RTM-esque design being signed off and selling right away. Start selling too soon, you can only sell at the rate your factories can produce. Start selling too late, having built up a cache, and you're not capitalising on the investment you're making in the production line.

It doesn't particularly help Apple to create an artificial shortfall, because as you say, no-one believes it anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing I have in my hand is...

Okay, no smutty comments, but it is a OnePlus 2.

Those so hard to get things...

1. DrXym

Re: The thing I have in my hand is...

I got an invite to buy one but I have the original OnePlus One and didn't see much to differentiate the new model from the old. I'm also a bit cheesed off with the whole Cyanogenmod debacle.

Good handsets though and cheap. They demonstrate how much people are getting stiffed when they buy an iPhone or Galaxy S.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lame

Faux scarcity. Marketing 101

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lame

They sold 74 million iPhones in Q4 last year - and that was after the launch where they sold over 10 million in September. But yeah, keep telling yourself that they're able to make more and the failure to meet initial demand when a new model is released is faked.

Samsung could only wish for shortages, instead they have to cut prices a few months after launch to keep people interested in buying them!

1. fruitoftheloon
        Thumb Down

@Doug S

Doug,

you know if could be that some folk preferred Sammy's offering to that of Cupertino eh?

Just a thought...

Regards,

jay

(btw my current portable comms device emanates from neither stable)

1. Handy Plough

Re: @Doug S

Loon,

Read the first comment about Apple and false scarcity you dick.

regards,

Handy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tee Hee!

'Delivery of Apple's new large-screen iPhone may be delayed thanks to manufacturing problems'

I would also like to thank 'manufacturing problems' as well....well done 'manufacturing problems', well done indeed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tee Hee!

TSMC rumblings tell me yield and overheating probs

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Tee Hee!

That's a load of crap, because Samsung is making the SoC this time around, not TSMC. TSMC made it last year (and is rumored to make it again next year)

5. Frank N. Stein

LOL...

BAILING on Apple and moving on to a Nexus 6 w/ Android.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jesus (Phone) wept

The post is required, and must contain letters.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Ming the Merciless says...

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo .... says a problem ... could result in a shortage of handsets.

A shortage relative to what?

1. Planty Bronze badge

Re: Ming the Merciless says...

Along with a handy excuse when they wheel out crap sales figures... Very handy indeed.

Win win for apple, get the early adopters fighting to get one (like aa bargain poloroid TV from ASDA), and them have a prepared excuse for when sales fall off the cliff a month later.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What, no "peak apple" jibe?!?

Anyway, it'll be handy to see your response if this turns out to be true...

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/14/apple-we-are-on-pace-to-beat-last-years-iphone-first-weekend-record.html

At some point, all of you (quite irrational imho) apple-haters will have to understand that these things sell because, get this, the customers actually like them!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

These morons say the same thing every year, and every year Apple sells more iPhones than they did the previous year. If they keep saying it long enough, I guess someday they'll be right but I wouldn't bet it on this year, or next with the 7. Maybe the 7S will finally be the one that can't exceed the previous models' sales....the haters can only hope!

8. Alan Denman
    Coat

Labour shortage I bet

A health and safety issue has made a pallet of these hefty things a 2 man job.

9. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Pics of people waiting around the block for a new iPhone or it didn't happen.

10. Kebablog

Ming-Chi Kuo comes out with the same stuff every year - does anyone actually care.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like