back to article 'I promise you I will win', says completely sane presidential candidate John McAfee

This week new iStuffs were showcased, a scary luggage hack popped up and a gaming icon turned 30. Now for some of the best quotes from the past seven days. America's favourite gun-toting anti-virus tycoon John McAfee has thrown his hat in to the 2016 presidential race. McAfee has made himself the official cyber party …

1. Phil W

Not patching Yahoo messenger seems perfectly reasonable given only the 5 people who still use it are at risk.

2. NormDP

Don't count him out. A great portion of American voting is done electronically even though it has been shown to be corrupt, not just in theory but in practice. Who has more knowledge on how to rig voting machines than the man who built his reputation dissecting viruses?

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

To Mike Hanley of Duo Labs: WTF? One vulnerable device on your network can crack you company's security? So what about one device that isn't vulnerable, but intentionally modified to hack your network? I suppose you have no chance then, do you?

The logic behind this is just ridiculous anyway: A new iOS release is bad, because a new release means many iOS devices won't be using the latest iOS version... Actually, every iOS device capable of running iOS 8.3 can run iOS 9 as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had to read Hanley's statement severalis times until it made sense. Ummm, was somewhat coherent? Frag it, you know what I mean. I don't do Apple but patches for older versions exist. No idea when I'll ever see updates for my non-Nexus tablets. If Ever. Whatever.

4. Tim Schutte
    FAIL

Completely sane? NOT

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"requiring users to actively install unsupported 3rd-party software into Messenger"

Oh, right. Obviously, that has never happened before.

6. Mage Silver badge

Yahoo Messenger.

Really? There is still such a thing?

Well ANY software can be compromised by 3rd party addons. Like Programs on any OS. So they have a point.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd vote McAfee

At least he's entertaining to say the least.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: I'd vote McAfee

If the only alternative was Trump, yes I probably would vote McAfee.

8. NanoMeter

Yeah, sure...

You will win when hell freezes over.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's not running

...for the white house, he's running for the out house.

10. skeptical i
    Devil

McAfee -v- Trump smackdown

With the large wallets they possess the media battle could become interesting. Popcorn, beer, and barcalounger on standby.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Trollface

Re: McAfee -v- Trump smackdown

As long as Palin (either Sarah or Bristol) is the VP candidate, I'm supporting the winner!

// Vote Cthulu...why settle for a lesser evil?

11. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Only One

All it takes is one vulnerable device accessing your network to put your entire organisation at risk of a data breach.

So downloading and installing patches requires planning and perhaps a dedicated staff? And worker bees shouldn't be trusted or expected to handle this aspect of their work environment? BYOD is antithetical to good security practices? Really? They might not have an IT department there, but they sure do have a Department of the Damn Obvious.

What? They might be referring to devices provided by the businesses in question? Then it's no different than any other device on the network in terms of patching and maintenance.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John Mcafee is a fine example of what can happen to your sanity if you do too many drugs, take heed kids.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like