back to article Atlantis: The DSSD, data centre disk killer rising from the deep

Atlantis, the VM-accelerating DRAM cacher that’s moved into hyperconverged storage, has its eye on CrossPoint memory – the 3D XPoint stuff 1,000 times faster than NAND – as a way of cementing disk into a data centre coffin. It also aims to use it to pre-empt DSSD. CrossPoint memory was announced by Intel and Micron in July as …

1. Ian Michael Gumby
    Childcatcher

Meh. Still too much Hype.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see this tech in place. However, to take advantage of Crosspoint / Crossbar NVReRam, there has to be a disruptive change in the PC/Server motherboard.

As a stopgap measure, you could put these in to DRAM slots and then let the Bios figure out which DDR slots are RAM and which are NVReRAM. Which also makes things interesting in how they are controlled and would also create some interesting issues for the OS. (But solvable w new drivers for storage.)

2. DJO Silver badge

DSSD?

As I recall DSSD refers to Double Sided Single Density floppies, around 720k, can't see them being much use these days.

1. bpfh
      Coat

Re: DSSD?

Those are the ones. You thought fans and aircon were loud, how about 5 racks of cheap Chinese 3.5 FDD's rattling away! :)

3. Nate Amsden

why the tough time

it's not as if this new technology is going to be proprietary to them. What's stopping other hyper converged players from doing the same thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why the tough time

Their secret seems to be the ability to use RAM and NVRAM as the performance tier to dedup/compress to optimize the flash/ssd as capacity tier instead of relying on the flash layer to do it (like in a hybrid architecture). Other hyperconverged vendors either dont have inline dedup and compress on flash (nutanix) so use a lot of flash. The ticket here is that their in-memory technology simply ports over to using NVME and scale up to PB sized datasets on Flash

4. E 2

Why not just ditch the SSDs outright?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Chetan Venkatesh: As a leader in this hyperconverged space, Atlantis is..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... <cough cough>

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... <gasp>

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... <cough gasp cough>

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... <pass out>

Hehehehahahe... <the end>

6. M. B.

So they've "announced" something which is going to kill DSSD outright... Cool story bro, but if you don't have anything to SHIP to customers, you are just spewing hot air. I saw DSSD in the metal and customers are running it in beta deployments.

Yes, this technology will be very cool in the hyperconverged space. I suspect Nutanix and Simplivity will get more traction with this sort of thing since they are actual leaders in Hyperconverged systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like