back to article Who the hell is still using Lyft? And why put up with junk texts 'n' calls, huffs FCC

Dial-a-ride service Lyft has been rapped on the knuckles by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for making customers sign up for a telemarketing list before being able to access the service. The FCC cited Lyft for violating the US Telephone Consumer Protection Act and warned that further penalties could be imposed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And here I thought I was just being an old fogey for not signing up for the millennials brave new no privacy "sharing" gig economy dystopia.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Air France does this too

Air France does this too. Wonder if there's an EU law they're breaking?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Air France does this too

Shit is shit, don't fool your self it's still shit regardless if somebody else is doing it too. I have no information regarding Air France or any other airliner but shit is shit all the same. I have three kids and I am very educated regarding the "he did it first".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me guess...

... it'll be put down to a programming mistake.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let me guess...

Please, a former contractor programming mistake. He/She is no longer with the company and we sincerely apologize for mistakenly programming this front end option, the backend storage and worldwide backups of this information. Please use this link to unsubscribe.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Why not just make telemarketing and texting illegal.

If you want insurance, phone a meerkat, don't assume that phoning me in the middle of Corrie will make me a happy punter who suddenly remembers I needed to insure my washing machine against breakdowns.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Resistance is futile

Resistance is futile, you are not the customer, you are the goods and you shall be monetized.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Resistance is futile

The shareholders wouldn't have it any other way and at least in the US what they want they get since they are next to godliness.

6. kafantaris2

About time.

Give 'em hell, FCC.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uh huh.

Ahh, the old "don't do it again or next time we'll think about punishing you" punishment.

Which, if the FCC dares, will be one of those no-acknowledgement-of-wrongdoing settlements where Lyft pay less in kickbacks (can't call them penalties, since they've been arranged via cosy backroom discussions) than the profit they've made.

Bet they're quaking.

8. kirker

"Who the hell is STILL using Lyft?"

Um, me? I know you blokes in the UK are unfamiliar with it, but Lyft is better in nearly every way than Uber -- and unlike Uber, its C-suite isn't filled with assholes harboring delusions of global domination.

"Why would you put up with junk texts 'n' calls, huffs FCC"

I don't suppose the FCC -- or The Register, for that matter -- checked to see if Lyft was actually *sending* junk texts? I'm a regular user of nearly two years and have received nary *one* junk text from them. In any event, it was most likely a simple error on Lyft's part, one they may not have even realized the implications of when they put it into their TOS. (I think it's safe to say at this stage that both Uber and Lyft have received myriad terrible legal advice.) In the aggregate, Uber has committed VASTLY more affronts to personal privacy, e.g. its parlour-trick "God View" function that it's shown off at private parties which pinpoints the precise location of any given celebrity or politician at that precise moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would think people have complained, that's how it came to their attention.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like