back to article Breaking up EMC is a dumb idea, says VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

“From the EMC board room,” says VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger, “you can see the carnage of the minicomputer industry.” “Wang, Digital, Data General. You can see their buildings from EMC's headquarters.” That view, Gelsinger told The Register, means “we know how this whole story played out.” And because he and the EMC board have …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of vmware's GPL violation?

https://sfconservancy.org/linux-compliance/vmware-lawsuit-faq.html

2. Justicesays
    Trollface

“Activist investors are are pretty simple folk. Their objective is as quickly as possible drive change that increases shareholder value.”

I think we used to call it "Pump and Dump".

3. GortonSM

Automation? really?

Pat, we've been waiting on automation from VMW for 8 years - remember your predecessor Paul talking about the DCOS all those years ago? Well, we gave up on waiting for VMW to deliver - we move on .....

4. kevinyeandel

While VMWare is awesome, EMC seem to have lost direction with their 2002 Documentum acquisition. Keep hearing rumours about an acquisition by HP of that part. Seem to have got rid of a lot of sales posts from what I can tell.

Have written to them formally with concerns, keep looking at my linkedin profile but refuse to answer questions about future roadmap.

It is my job as acting CIO (and 2 other roles) to ensure our company embraces the correct technologies to solve its IT problems. Gartner Quadrant shows EMC still a leader in ECM but word from the coalface is that licenses are too expensive and they haven't listened to customers w.r.t xCP and D2 products. What is going on EMC?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like