back to article Stuck in Amazon's web tentacles yet? You will be soon

Cloud portability desperately wants to be a thing, but there’s a far greater force pushing against it. It’s called Amazon Web Services (AWS), and chances are you’re already stuck. Oh, sure, you can cling to containers as a way out, as Bloomberg’s Olga Kharif recently wrote. But containers won’t help you. Not when you’ve given …

1. jake Silver badge

Some of us avoid Amazon as irrelevant.

Just saying.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Some of us avoid Amazon as irrelevant.

Some of us have their heads up their arse.

1. jake Silver badge

@DAM (was: Re: Some of us avoid Amazon as irrelevant.)

"Some of us have their heads up their arse."

Ah. That's why you can't see reality. Might want to pull your head out and look around a little. Could do you a world of good. Might even be lucrative in the long-run :-)

2. P. Lee

Make sure you don't confuse volume with importance

It could be that cloud is really cheap so people are using it for large-scale storage and processing of things which aren't that important.

The important thing is not whether cloud is successful, but whether its the right fit for you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A small business perspective

We're a heavy user of AWS services like EC2, VPC, S3, RDS, ELBs etc. Quite frankly, they've been a revelation, enabling us as a small business to build complex, scalable, load-balanced network architectures that would otherwise be outside our financial reach or core expertise. Since moving to AWS, we've created services that we simply couldn't have built via a standard hosting model and offered them to the market.

You could host with AWS and not use services like RDS for your database, of course, but then you're not really using it as a cloud proposition and you're not unlocking the benefits. I haven't used Azure, but I imagine it isn't quite as far down the road as Amazon, though doubtless it's good.

I'll happily accept the dependence we now have on AWS for the advantages it has conferred - it has been utterly transformative for us.

As for the previous gentleman's comment "Some of us avoid Amazon as irrelevant".... in what way are they irrelevant?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: A small business perspective

Jake is running a pig farm, not a server farm, somewhere innawoods of Montana (?) and is ready for zombie apocalypse.

So of course it's not particularly relevant for him.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: A small business perspective

"Jake is running a pig farm"

Horse ranch, primarily. We also grow hogs, sheep, goats, chickens and other food.

"not a server farm"

I have a small server farm here on the ranch. I manage about a dozen larger ones.

"somewhere innawoods of Montana (?)"

That's Sonoma, California. Can't read for content, DAM?

"and is ready for zombie apocalypse."

There is no such thing as zombies. Never have been, never will be.

"So of course it's not particularly relevant for him."

It's not relevant for me for the simple reason that it's not relevant. I have absolutely zero need for Amazon. Neither do you. Trust me. Think about it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is where Google screwed up and Amazon got things exactly right.

It's like the frog and boiling water thing.

Google made their cloud available explicitly as platform as a service. Easy to get started, infinitely scalable but no visibility under the hood and no portability to other providers. Enterprises voted resoundingly against.

Amazon set up an Infrastructure as a Service platform that drew vast numbers in and then started to throw out features so tempting that developers and systems administrators really ought to use them. By slowly turning the key in the lock after your data is already in the system they make it much harder to notice that you're getting trapped.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Actually, I think Google's problem is their completely non-existent tech support. For example, it's why Google Checkout died... site owners couldn't get shopping cart issues acknowledged, much less fixed.

Amazon support might suck, but at least they have some.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

But how am I getting "trapped" in tools that I couldn't have had before, in which I can accumulate skills and know-how to move OFF the so-called trap?

On a similar tack, during the industrial revolution, starving peasants had the "choice" to stay put in the countryside or move into the "trap" of large cities and join the throngs working in industry. And so it went...

1. jake Silver badge

@DAM

"But how am I getting "trapped" in tools that I couldn't have had before"

Couldn't, DAM? Really? Assumes facts not in evidence.

The tools clearly existed, or Amazon (google, whatever) wouldn't exist.

5. stevie.dunn

i dont trust any "cloud" services. neither should you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Use gmail/hotmail/yahoo email? Then you do.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC "16 hrs" (whatever that means, ElReg)

"Use gmail/hotmail/yahoo email?"

No, thank you very much. HTH, HAND.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Hey, I don't know how this app is gonna work out, let's spin it up in AWS as a test." toe dipped in,

"Hmm, the latency getting to the data store outside of AWS is kinda high, let's spin up a DB in EC2" up to the waist.

"Damn, hosted DB's in EC2 are a pain, let's just use RDS"

glub.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is AWS's own cost structure?

Has anyone done any analysis? What is their cost structure? Can someone replicate it (ignoring the tracking/billing/self service fix'ens)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like