back to article Google wants to take a bite out of your apples (NOT your gadgets)

Google is hoping to wean Silicon Valley man-children off junk food diets with fresh-food deliveries by its Google Express operation. Google Express was announced in 2013 in opposition to Amazon and eBay's grocery deliver services. It's potentially a nice earner for Mountain View because it offers the chance to clip the coupon …

1. msknight

Well...

I can potentially see that there are some people, whose hourly rate makes it cheaper to have an apple delivered to their desk, rather than getting off their arse and going to the coffee bar which these days stocks apples and bananas along with the sandwiches, yoghurts, capuchinos, etc.

But honestly, how much intelligence does it take to plan ahead for x number of apples with the weekly shop?

Pardon the pun, but I think I can see this all going pear shaped, and I can't think of a more evil approproate company which deserves that sort of outcome.

1. frank ly

Re: Well...

"But honestly, how much intelligence does it take ..."

Not much, so it doesn't provide them with enough mental stimulation or a worthwhile intellectual challenge. Anyway, would you want hordes of Silicon Valley man-children wandering around your local supermarket?

2. Paul

webvan all over again?

anyone remember webvan?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/07/10/webvan_drives_into_dotcom_death/

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: webvan all over again?

And a thousand others. Richard did mention "the eternal procession of flopped delivery businesses" in the article.

Google recently brought this latest "eh, we'll do this until we get bored with it (or decide we've harvested enough data)" effort to my neck of the woods, too. I can't even muster enough interest to sneer at it, personally - a trip to the grocery is an opportunity to get out and get a bit of exercise, and I'd much rather skip a snack than buy from the Foods Hole - but I suppose it might be useful for some folks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like