back to article Et voilà: Violated Versailles vagina might stay violated

Artist Anish Kapoor has suggested the anti-Semitic graffiti daubed on his sculpture "Dirty Corner" may become part of the artwork. The controversial construction was attacked on Sunday in the grounds of the Palace of Versailles, and now features slogans including "The second RAPE of the nation by DEVIANT JEWISH activism". L' …

1. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Yes, leave the graffitti

The graffiti is more interesting than the work itself, it says a lot more than what the metallic muff does.

2. Peddant
    Paris Hilton

Er, why are we following this?

Not that I don't welcome yet another chance for the Register readership's expert art critics to post their revelatory opinions.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Er, why are we following this?

Because reading yet another article about which CEO farted in the last 3 seconds has become extremely mundane.

Never forget that a lot of people here were brought up on Saunders (Finbar) and Spectrums...

2. Bloakey1

Exactly. the juxtaposition twixt art and life show clear parallels to the human condition and giant pudendae.

That is art speak for racists are a bunch of giant c***s. As to whether it is art or not i will leave it up to the behoider, but I personally would not have it in my garden as it would upset my gnomes and make my missus jolly batey.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Not that I don't welcome yet another chance for the Register readership's expert art critics to post their revelatory opinions.

Speaking as the arts correspondent for What Gravel? magazine I've not seen this particular piece, and so couldn't comment on it. But in the aggregate I find this kind of artwork rather annoying.

I'd been in the Tate Modern for about an hour and a half, when I heard a voice saying, "this is utter bollocks". I looked round to see who it was who had so heinously transgressed, along with everyone else in the gallery, only to realise that it was me. At which point I decided that it was better for modern art, and myself, that I disengage from the bollocksworks on display and re-engage with a nice cuppa and a very large cake instead.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I went when it was first opened - they had one very impressive piece.

A giant yellow crane running along the ceiling of the big hall with a sign "not certified for lifting"

Obviously a metaphysical critique on the very meaning of a crane for which "I lift therefore I am" is the core of it's essential being.

A bit like that French painting with "this is a not a pipe" but on a giant scale - and more suitable for a non-smoking facility.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Er, why are we following this?

Yeah, they also had one of those yellow plastic signs saying "Slippery floor" in the main turbine hall. I gather it's part of a series including "Shifty wall" and "Untrustworthy ceiling" designed to "provoke doubt in the integrity of the viewer's surroundings". It worked, cos I was straight down the nearest boozer like a shot.

1. Elmer Phud

" re-engage with a nice cuppa and a very large cake instead."

either it's another artwork or a sign that someone is not exactly on thier uppers -- who else can afford tea and cake at Tate Modern?

2. mark 177
          Coat

But if it really is a crane, it doesn't have the same meaning as "This is not a Pipe" because the painting - of course - was NOT a pipe, but a painting.;

Just added my own bit of "criticary" there. Et voila!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Speaking as the arts correspondent for What Gravel? magazine I've not seen this particular piece, and so couldn't comment on it. But in the aggregate I find this kind of artwork rather annoying.

Is it annoying because you can't tell if it's marble or granite at the bottom, or because the bits are a bit lumpy for proper gravel? Or because some muppet has put a bloody great metal horn in the way and you can't see the gravel round the back?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Yes!

I win....

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/09/07/versailles_orifice_violation_part_deux/

Now where my £20 million !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should anyone do such a thing to an artwork unless it's personal?"

it wasn't personal, it was antisemitic, you moron, you said it yourself (never mind it wasn't antisemitic, really. Whatever it was though, it's Great news for the Artist, only no news is bad news, particularly in this day and age. And he wouldn't be the first to have paid to some yobs to get their spray cans out.

5. x 7

well, if it can't be cleaned this time, I guess its well and truly fuqked

1. Androdgenous CowHerd

It's truely fucked?

That makes me want to erect a flock of those "Bobbing Bird" style sculptures around the giant vagina, only instead of birds they'd be LawnGnomes with giant rainbow penises. Imagine a hundred midgets making lewd hip-thrusty motions at a giant vagina, and all of them set to play the Disney song "Whistle While You Work". Cement/SuperGlue them in place so they can't be removed, dress each one up like various members of Parliment, and if anyone decides to remove a gnome by tearing it out of it's shoes, that'll leave an empty spot for some visitor to stand in it's place & mimick the munchkins!

I'll get my coat, it's the one with a hundred squirt guns in the pockets all filled with rainbow bubble soap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's truely fucked?

One great thing about the Register is that it allows posts to stand that would have been immediately "disappeared" by that so-called "liberal" organ, the Guardian. I mean, I admire that paper for many reasons and enjoy reading (some of) it, but as far as censorship and prudery goes, it really is Vinegar-Tits Central.

Off to find a seven-character password...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: It's truely fucked?

"One great thing about the Register is that it allows posts to stand that would have been immediately "disappeared" by that so-called "liberal" organ, the Guardian"

Not always. In the context of the dustiness of Mars I posted a limeraiku about the inconvenience to women of fine Arabian sand, in which I referred (by their biological name, meaning lips) to the two flappy bits of a woman's front bottom, and the unpleasantness of it getting between them. While the f-word and the c-word are considered OK, it seems that this was considered worthy of deletion.

Either it was an intern on the buzzer that day or perhaps someone ignorant of Latin, but since then I have eschewed rude words on El Reg unless doing a c and p from another post.

6. JLV

Why f*** up Versailles with what is at best a sculpture that few would care about were it not made by a famous artist? Besides, there is a place for modern art but it is not obviously next to important pre-existing pieces that have nothing in common, style-wise.

Ditto Colonnes de Burenne in the 80s Paris.

Too bad about the anti-semitism, both because hating on Jews sucks and because it detracts from criticizing the crap art and its placement. A non-racial vandalism would have been justified.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon