back to article Amazon, GoDaddy get sueball for hosting Ashley Madison data

Amazon and GoDaddy are being sued for handling stolen Ashley Madison data by three of the affair-enabling site's customers. Three John Doe plaintiffs have filed a complaint (PDF) against Amazon Web Services, GoDaddy, and 20 John Roes (anonymous defendants), in the Arizona District Court, for "intentionally inflicting emotional …

1. Lionel Baden

Should charge Em'

Send them a bill of 19K to remove the data, and just leave some of it anyway.

Something about sayings about medicine and boots

2. Jagged

I can imagine the lawyers sitting in a room saying, "John Roe hasn't got any money any more, better include Amazon if we want any chance of getting the big bucks."

Stupid Ashley Madison hackers, if you want to blackmail someone, get a lawyer.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

ELLOHELL

What you Roe'nt in California?

1. Tom 38

Re: ELLOHELL

Yeah, wtf is a John Roe. Are they suing all British mathematicians?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed this one...

"Electricity provider John Rho for facilitating the operation of computers used in commission of the crime"

Heck, go for broke:

"El Reg commentards #1 through #666 for jeering at the over-reach of bottom-feeding lawyers"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if I didn't already have access to the databases, at least now I have two or three other websites that'll let me search, cheers Reg!

6. streaky

Intentional.

Even in a US court you'd have a time proving that Amazon intentionally went out their way to cause you emotional harm to the already low standards of a civil court.

Usual lawyers preying on the vulnerable stuff.

7. OffBeatMammal

Doesn't safe harbor provisions make Amazon and GoDaddy safe from this kind of crap? The hoster only has to remove/police content is asked by a proper authority but otherwise are blameless for what their customers do (like Smith & Wesson are not at fault if one of their customers shoots someone)

1. DavCrav

"Doesn't safe harbor provisions make Amazon and GoDaddy safe from this kind of crap?"

Unless they have been told and did nothing. Which I suspect they were, hence the lawsuit.

8. Adam T

Intent

Someone doesn't know the meaning of the word. Lawyers do, but why speak up when Someone's waving money at you?

9. Arachnoid

So we need another hack

To expose the true details of the 23 anonymomnie who seem so maligned and all will be well with the universe

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So we need another hack

No, just the 3 John Does would do...

They should have thought with their big head, not their little head. Then they wouldn't be in this position.

10. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Lawyers !

Shoot the lot of them!

Yes I know that there are some good ones but these Ambulance chasers give the whole profession a bad name.

11. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

damn, I should have signed up

and reap the class action benefit!

Signed,

too loe

Even a leech needs a coat...

12. Mark 85

It's become obvious that either we have too many lawyers or not enough lawsuits.... Maybe we should do our part in this and start culling the lawyer herd, but there would be more lawsuits filed by the lawyers we didn't cull.

13. Kernel

Comments still enabled?

Shouldn't comments be locked for this story too, as they are for the Doug Richard story?

After all, no verdict yet in this case either, and in the interests of journalistic integrity and consistency etc., etc.

1. Arachnoid

Re: Comments still enabled?

As long as one uses the word allegedly Im sure Regtards will be fine allegedly

2. Tom 38

Re: Comments still enabled?

The .co.uk should indicate why comments are locked on a story on an on-going UK criminal case with a specific named individual, and why they are not on a story on an on-going US civil case with no named individuals.

14. CrazyCanuck

I guess Amazon and godaddy will hand over the information about the people who purchased their services?

15. raving angry loony

It's the American way...

When in doubt, sue the money, not those actually responsible.

16. John Tserkezis

for "intentionally inflicting emotional distress upon Ashley Madison users."

So the self-inflicted shame doesn't count then? Either the users are very selective over what bothers them, or, more likely, the lawyers are having a slow day and have nothing better to do.

17. Nick Kew

Anonymous Plaintiffs?

Get outed doing something bad ...

... so do something worse under the cloak of anonymity.

What's that phrase? Once bitten? Fool me once? And when it's just the three a***holes, no need to host a database or even a data dump anywhere to out them.

18. msknight

-----

The three John Does,

Who sue for woes,

"I'm badly hurt!"

Their war cry goes.

-----

"The details out!"

Their lawyers shout.

"The pain! The pain!"

But we all doubt.

-----

Up goes our cry,

"Please not again!"

This barnyard show,

Is all for gain.

-----

So they got caught out,

For hunting hoes.

Won't some smart Joes,

Please tag their toes.

19. Ian 55

"Zero fucks given"

And, given that he didn't pay so couldn't even contact the endless fembots, zero fucks received too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like