back to article Boffins build magnetic field cloak 'wormhole', could help MRI scanners

Alvaro Sanchez, (left), with Carles Navau, and Jordi Prat-Camps (right). Scientists have created what is being dubbed a 'wormhole' that can split a magnetic field and lead to better MRI scanning. The wormhole allows a magnetic field to be transported across space but it is not the kind of cosmic tunnel popularised by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Reading the article (not the quotes, they're fine) and comparing against the source... total mystification. It's like the article has malapropisms, typos, and other mistakes. Sorry.

2. Little Mouse

I'm confuscioused

Are we basically talking about having one "end" of a magnetic field in one area, the other "end" somewhere else, and (the illusion of) no field in between?

I tried following the science on the whiteboard, but it didnt help...

1. Gordon 10

Re: I'm confuscioused

Yes. Presumably meaning the doctor/nurse with that metal plate in their head could wander around the MRI room with no ill effects - presuming that the other end of the monopole isn't in the room of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't understand any of that. However if they've got a real one of whatever one of those is then it sounds awesome I think?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

They don't, apparently. They've only theoretically demonstrated the theoretical possibility of doing something.

The word "supraconductor" is generally a tell-tale sign. Room-temperature supraconductors don't exist yet. The word "meta-material" is another sign. I don't anything meta exists either.

But when they do, it'll work. Promise !

1. phy445

Did you read the paper?

They present pictures of the device in the supplementary information–it looks like a classic MacGyver build, lots of gaffer tape etc. There is measured data in the main paper and in the supplementary info.

They use a superconductor that works at liquid nitrogen temperatures. Not a problem for the MRI bods as their machines work with the way colder liquid helium.

Whether something is meta or not depends on the wavelength/frequency you are working at. For MRI its fairly easy.

2. Rosie Davies

Wikipedia would tend to disagree about there being no such thing as real meta-materials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

The first few words of the article "Scientists have created..." point towards something real having been built rather than a number of funky equations involving the vital <magic happens here> step.

Rosie

3. Gordon 10
        FAIL

@pascal.

Firstly the guts of MRI's are cryogenically cooled anyway. So RT superconductors are not really relevant.

Secondly direct quote from the abstract of the paper. My emphasis

Here we construct and experimentally demonstrate a magnetostatic wormhole. Using magnetic metamaterials and metasurfaces, our wormhole transfers the magnetic field from one point in space to another through a path that is magnetically undetectable.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Cool.

I stand corrected then, and I'm happy for it.

I always thought meta materials were more of a thought experiment. We still don't have invisibility cloaks though.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

We do have invisibility cloaks, just not large enough to be useful in the real world or in the range of visible light (yet, but hiding stuff from radar or eventually IR has obvious applications)

4. JohnMurray

Oh good. So the next time I'm being MRI scanned I can not be in the middle of a narrow, and extremely noisy, tunnel. Just prone on a table remote from the field generator with only the "antennas" of the RF source nearby.

Good. Even with ear-plugs it is not pleasant!!

1. DropBear
      Joke

Easy...

Next time just pretend you're Ripley and the Alien is lurking somewhere outside your "cryo capsule", I'm pretty sure that should boost your preference of staying inside it ...hold on... uhhh, I can see how this might not actually help with the anxiety part though...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Re: Easy...

What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can't move with no hope of rescue:

Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far.

Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far (which, given your current circumstances, seems more likely):

Consider how lucky you are that it won't be troubling you much longer.

1. John Mangan

I really want to upvote that a lot more than once.

2. Fading

I think that definitely can be listed under the "not exactly helpful" column. Horrible things MRI scanners (I've been in two so far) - if you want to experience the feeling put yourself in a old steel rubbish bin and have and angry dwarf randomly whack the outside with a cricket bat. And if you move you have to restart the process........

Not sure why the cricket bat wielder must be vertically challenged but adds to the overall strangeness which you will also feel.

2. sisk

Maybe I'm weird. Last time I had an MRI I fell asleep in the thing. Sure it was noisy, but it was mostly white-noise-ish noise that I tuned out fairly easily.

1. Super Fast Jellyfish

MRI Soundtrack

i thought mine sounded like a full on Techno track...

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

I fell asleep inside the MRI scanner. Compared to wrangling two toddlers all day long it was wonderfully peaceful and a welcome chance to lie down and do absolutely nothing. Shame it only lasted ten minutes, I'd have liked a good couple of hours rest.

5. Jonlan

Monopole Magnets

I maintain nonetheless that yin-yang dualism can be overcome.

With sufficient enlightenment we can give substance to any

distinction: mind without body, north without south, pleasure

without pain. Remember, enlightenment is a function of willpower,

not of physical strength.

—Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,

“Essays on Mind and Matter”

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hospital deployment stopped ..

.. after a few patients were irretrievably lost to the year 2115.

A year later, time travel had to be legislated..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hospital deployment stopped ..

Could be dangerous. Send some poor patient in, get a royally pissed off Terminator back..

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Terminator

I think we're safe from Terminators in MRIs... all that metal, you see.

2. Mark 85
      Devil

Which "year later"? 2016 or 2116? Since it's time travel, was the legislation retroactive? And who enforces the law if time travel hasn't been invented yet?

7. sisk

I saw a video on this a week or two ago. My initial thought was that "wormhole" was really a bad word to use to describe what was going on. Also, this is probably more useful than wormholes would be. While I was watching the video at least a half dozen uses jumped through my head.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Instead of "wormhole" use "tunneling" instead as that's closer to the effect, aside from the fact that it's not quantum tunneling, more like channeling, but not spirit channeling,.... Of fuck it. It's all PFM [Pure Fucking Magic].

Actually, there's nothing quantum about it, to my mind. Just macroscopic sandwich of two materials.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From reading this it sounds a bit like they have created the equivalent of fiber optics for magnets. Which is, IMO, pretty fucking awesome.

Now for the homeopathy brigade, and their superstitious ilk to leap all over it!

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

*may* be useful in nuclear fusion

One of the less explored approaches to this is the use of Muons to catalyze fusion at much lower temperatures than normal methods.

Unfortunately the short half lives and energy costs of making more of them using hardware not tuned to the task makes the process expensive.

It has been suggested magnetic monopoles could also work, but none have existed.

Until now.

That is a long way from being possible but it might work.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: *may* be useful in nuclear fusion

Interesting idea, thanks for sharing.

I did read somewhere that graphene doped with lithium hydride could be a possible RTSC candidate, under high pressure any hydrogen present might serve as a catalyst for proton pairing which would then induce electron pairing due to the superconducting proximity effect.

The low Jc might not be as bad an issue as scientists think, as the field is spread out over a large surface area much as a large pipe can carry a lot of water (sorry my analogies suck)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like