back to article Apple will reveal new iPhone on Sept 9 – this is what it may look like

Apple has sent out invites for a press conference next week where it will unveil new iPhones – quite possibly the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. The Cupertino giant has issued passes to its docile and compliant friends in the media for a mystery event on September 9 in San Francisco. El Reg's invite was lost in the post, …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Microsoft's 'Cityman' and 'Talkman'

so the pink versions will be Citywoman and Talkwoman?

Or wil Sony put a talk to it because of their trademarks on the Walkman?

9th Sept will be interesting if MS try to put a dampener on Apple's show.

1. dogged

Re: Microsoft's 'Cityman' and 'Talkman'

Nothing so interesting. Those are manufacturing codenames. The release names are almost certainly Lumia 950 (for Talkman) and Lumia 950XL (for Cityman).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg's invite was lost in the post, possibly caused by ...

Oh, stop acting so needy! It makes the Reg's occasional twerpishness look like attention-seeking behaviour rather than the cutting edge satire you clearly believe it to be.

1. Salts

Re: El Reg's invite was lost in the post, possibly caused by ...

Have an up vote came here to say much the same, El reg stop with the crap ignore apple or come up with better satire

1. m0rt

I'm sorry, but I still find it funny.

El reg's first meme. Or was it Paris?

Or the Asus beach girl?

Jagwire. *snigger*

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There are good writers on El Reg - funny and/or insightful. And then there seems to be a rotating crew of churnalists who do little more than rewrite press releases liberally sprinkled with cast-off once-funny cliches that have long gone stale. If I want boring, unfunny rants, I'll read the comments. ta very much.

Pull your finger out, journotards.

1. m0rt

'If I want boring, unfunny rants, I'll read the comments. ta very much.'

Or indeed, if you can't find them, write them...

:)

3. Khaptain Silver badge
    Devil

Why bother

Unless one of the major manufacturers comes out with some kind of holographic, infinitely powered device, pictures of telephone and/or their enclosures should simply be thrown in the bin.

What's next : Apple managed to shave 0.001g of the weight, Samsung realese a new case with a logo made of aluminium manganese titanium alloy inserts .....ya gets the picture...

I actually thought I was going to see something that looked different from the last 6 generations.....wrong

Please stop this kind of drivel filled, utter nonsensical kind of article.... ( Samsung are just as bad)

Icon = the Spawn of the Devil called "Marketing"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why bother

Why bother is a good title for your post.

Why do you bother reading tech news at all?

A story about the biggest (or at least the most highly valued) tech company in the world coming out with a new device that will probably sell over 100 million units seems pretty well justified.

If you don't think so, you must also be bored by almost all other stories on El Reg. It's not like hardware, software, laptops, desktops, game consoles, etc. get more than incrementally better as the years tick by.

2. FreedomTX

<Yawn> You are correct and much ado about a whole lot of nothing. Fortunately, I've never spent any money on any Apple products and never will. Also, mid range phones have gotten 'good enough' for me so I'm pretty much done spending big bucks on "high end phones". I've had the first 3 Galaxy Notes and still have the 3 but now Samsung has gotten themselves in trouble with me with their latest and greatest. No removable battery or SD Slot so they can play the mind share 'pretty bauble' so we can make you 'feel and think' like you're buying something special game like Apple? Really Samsung? Thanks but no thanks.

Fortunately, I'm pretty immune to 'hype' and Steve Jobs' 'reality distortion field' so I'm safe there but what I'm not safe from? silly articles like this darkening my desktop.

3. Hero Protagonist

This article was exactly what it said on the tin. Nobody forced you to click on it. So what are you complaining about? Your own lack of self control to avoid reading articles you know will annoy you?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those two new Windows 10 mobiles appear to be running 8.1 or a very old version of 10 in those screenshots as the gap between the tiles is too big for recent Win 10 builds. :)

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Gimp

Zzzzzzzzzzz...

{snore} What? Eh? Sorry, I must have dozed off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zzzzzzzzzzz...

Don't worry the YAAPL event will be dissed here by all the usual subjects.

YAAPL = Yet another apple phone launch

A seemingly annual event that excites the Fanbois and non Register Hacks. (those of this place don't get invited so they can't get excited now can they?)

Next we will get a tranch of Analists guessing how many hundreds they'll sell before then expensive Apple paid for lunch. Then when their guesses miss the mark they'll phone their mates on Wall St and AAPL stick will drop $5.

Situaton normal then. Not news really but fun to watch for us bystanders.

6. SecretSonOfHG

Some exclusive features

It will have the now famous rectangular shape. With rounded corners whose radius and other parameters have already been carefully detailed in some patent.

I will be slightly thinner than the iPhone 6. And slightly lighter.

Its battery will last a little longer than the iPhone 6. Mind you, not much more in the best case, as always, it depends on what you do with your device.

Its main CPU and graphic chips will be a little faster and more powerful than the iPhone 6.

It will run a new version of iOS, which will phase out of support iPhone 4 users. Sorry, iPhone 4 owners, it is time to dig into your wallets again.

It will likely have some wireless charging capabilities, however the wireless charger will be sold separately and cost way more than anything comparable from the competition.

Its front and rear cameras will have some better light sensitivity. So those late night street selfies will look better. They may have better resolution, but that's something you don't care since four or five years ago because you can't tell apart a 5M from a 8M image from your tiny phone screen.

Plus, it will have some other feature that nobody can explain why it is there, and that will span rampant speculation for weeks. In two years, that feature will be either dismissed or become the next Apple gold mine.

Cost: it will be slightly more expensive than the iPhone 6.

What is amazing is that at this point in the evolution of this product, each new release has no extraordinary features but still get megabytes worth of comments, reviews and analysis. And still sell like hotcakes. Apple is full of marketing geniuses.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Some exclusive features

I think it will be the same price as the iPhone 6 is currently, but other than that, I agree.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> It will run a new version of iOS, which will phase out of support iPhone 4 users. Sorry, iPhone 4 owners, it is time to dig into your wallets again.

Nope. iOS 9 works on all the same devices as iOS 8. It will still work on an iPhone 4S which was introduced 4 years ago.

The comparable Nexus phone is the Galaxy Nexus. That was only officially upgradeable to Jellybean which is now 2 years out of date.

So, buy an Apple phone in 2011 and it's supported for at least 5 years and maybe longer. Buy an official Google Nexus phone in 2011 and it's good for 2 years.

And yet people accuse Apple of doing a money grab with deliberate obsolescence...

>> What is amazing is that at this point in the evolution of this product, each new release has no extraordinary features

The fingerprint sensor that was introduced with the 5S was pretty spectacular.

1. Vince

although you did neglect to mention that although you can have the latest "version", you won't get all the features. So really you aren't getting as good as deal as you imply, since the capability is different.

So if you have a 4S or whatever, you don't have the same featureset as the 6.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>> although you did neglect to mention that although you can have the latest "version", you won't get all the features. So really you aren't getting as good as deal as you imply, since the capability is different.

What features are missing?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Its front and rear cameras will have some better light sensitivity."

I'm not at all sure about that. Short of chilling the sensors, they are already impressive in terms of noise floor. More pixels = fewer photons per pixel, less sensitivity unless the sensor is bigger in proportion, and surely by now the ability to make telephoto lenses with a tiny number of thin aspheric elements must be bottoming out, so thinner phones prevent more sensor.

I suspect the low light performance is why Apple have stuck with low res cameras.

My guess, therefore, is more pixels = brighter flash.

1. Jos V

Arnaut, very correct. The number of Mpixels are there for one purpose, and one only. Marketing. End-off.

I still have my Canon 10D, with 6.4MP 24mm CCD, and it will beat any 12MP phone camera hands-down, using a lot of it's pixels for noise reduction (I think effectively 5.7MP are actually used for the pictures).

Having a 12MP camera, and then lossy compress the crap out of it to a 2MB or so picture and even more so to your average 200KB cat/lunch/drunken_friend facefart post content is. Just. Marketing. I think El Reg had an article about this, but I can't be bothered to search for it. Things like light wavelength, noise, and size of CCDs and stuff. Actual technical details.

Oh, wait, this is about the new iPhone. Rejoice. By the way, wasn't there a version of that thing that was not to be named "iPhone <insert number><insert optional S>", but was to be named "the New iPhone". What happened to that?

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

"Plus, it will have some other feature that nobody can explain why it is there, and that will span rampant speculation for weeks. In two years, that feature will be either dismissed or become the next Apple gold mine."

You mentioned "rampant"...

iRabbit?

Just by coincidence, today's Evening Standard carried this feature. (NSFW, may be)

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/introducing-crescendo-the-new-sex-toy-that-lets-you-order-bespoke-vibrations-via-an-app-a2922086.html

What if Apple were to bring out a range of sex-toys?

Rounded corners - check.

"Premium Feel" - check. Sorry, scratch that - that's a Samsung term.

Available in any colour/color, as long as it's white - check

Fanbois and Fangirls will be camping outside Apple Stores for weeks to get their hands on them.

Paris - could review/endorse

There is always the colloquial meaning of "rabbit", which is quite apt in the context of a phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fOZjiDaw4

1. nsld
        Paris Hilton

Problem with that is you would have a lot of fanbois with chipped teeth........

5. VinceH
      Trollface

"Plus, it will have some other feature that nobody can explain why it is there, and that will span rampant speculation for weeks. In two years, that feature will be either dismissed or become the next Apple gold mine."

You forgot to mention that feature will be hailed at the launch event as something new and magical* that Apple have invented, even though it's been around on other devices for some time.

* I was going to add that it'll be "beautiful" - but marketing morons from every big tech company are calling their shit beautiful these days. Gah!

6. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Apple is full of marketing geniuses.

Actually, the message you outlined as "It's much the same as the last iPhone, but ever-so-slightly better in lots of areas" is easy to communicate to would-be customers; no genius required! :-)

7. PleebSmash
      Paris Hilton

Front-facing flash

Aaargghh! My eyes!

7. Rusty 1
    Trollface

But but but, the corners will surely be more refined, and superior. Obvious to any true follower of the one true Apple. This will be a source of riducule for those who have corners from 2015 Q1 or before, and THEY WILL BE CAST OUT, for they will not have followed the true path, not honoured the one.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Android, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your corners and your icons, they comfort me"

8. Triggerfish

Let me guess

It will be sort of rectangle shape and have glass on the front?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Let me guess

If they wanted to be different, they would produce a flip phone in the 3D shape of an apple. And the appletards would be it by the millions. #smh

2. cd

And rounded corners! Don't forget that part. No one else can...

3. Michael Thibault

And when should we expect to be able to 'finger' it from behind? From the backside, I mean. Oh, never mind.

9. Tromos
    Joke

The Bill Graham auditorium

The reality distortion field there may well be strong enough to feature a personal appearance by St. Jobs!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: The Bill Graham auditorium

Apple have enough money in the bank to come up with a holographic Jobs. (c.f. Rimmer - though with an Apple logo on the forehead instead of the H, lest Fanbois think he's resurrected)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Bill Graham auditorium

>strong enough to feature a personal appearance by St. Jobs

If not, then Jesus?

10. Mike Bell

Force Touch

The event logo hints at a pressure-sensitive display. That would be a first for Apple.

11. Matthew 17

I'm excited about force touch things

This way the device will know it's in your back pocket and won't magically unlock itself and dial Zimbabwe when you sit on it. No more butt-dialling!

The future is now.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I'm excited about force touch things

>This way the device will know it's in your back pocket and won't magically unlock itself and dial Zimbabwe when you sit on it. No more butt-dialling!

>The future is now.

Damn right - just sew an NFC-tag into each pocket of each of your trousers, and instruct the phone to remain locked when in range of them, and job's a goodun'!

12. Nameless Faceless Computer User

How about this for a new iPhone? Double the thickness so it doesn't bend in half and give it a battery which can last for 3 days between charges?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>How about this for a new iPhone? Double the thickness so it doesn't bend in half and give it a battery which can last for 3 days between charges?

Can't you achieve that by putting a standard iPhone in a battery case?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Siri improvements

Do you think I'll finally be able turn it off without turning on Voice Control

14. tempemeaty
    Joke

My theories of what new features & updates will be revealed

Siri will be able to predict your future. =P

iPhones will be able to call UFOs.

All iPhones will be bendable because of new flexible logic boards.

All iPhones will also be able to bounce like Flubber.

All iPads and iPhones will get full recharges by dipping them in water. [What? They get thirsty too!]

All iPhones will come with a free gorilla. (congrats to the winner of that new 6Gb Hard Drive!)

All iDevices will have built in 3D printing and come with the template to print your own 3D Apple Pony.

All iDevices will include a special build of OS9 that can transport you to a new reality.

And finally, all iPads will have the ability to unfold into a full sized iMac.

15. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

In the mean time

is this a killer app for the iWatch?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/watch/11830503/Someone-has-invented-the-first-Apple-Watch-sex-toy-and-its-a-sell-out.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like