back to article ClearSky: Keeping your premises free of unwanted clouds

Dump your on-premises SAN and fly to the cloud via an all-flash on-ramp: that's the message from startup ClearSky Data. Enterprises should access all their data, throughout its lifecycle, via a fully-managed service and, implicitly, hit the eject button on their on-premises data-storage equipment. ClearSky was founded by CEO …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"having [..] storage silos is a costly nightmare of managing [..] storage infrastructure"

Whereas having your data in the Cloud will be a nightmare of idle workers and frantic manglement when the link goes down for whatever reason. And you will have no way to know when it will be back, nor can you do anything about except shout on the phone.

IT has a cost. Putting data in the Cloud does not remove that cost. It does, however, remove your control over it to place it in the hands of you don't know who.

I cannot imagine anyone thinking that that is a good idea.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Choose your tools wisely.

And you will have no way to know when it will be back, nor can you do anything about except shout on the phone.

You do have proper SLAs don't you? The ones that stand-in for the OLAs that you didn't manage to properly implement with in-house services because of undecided management and unclear separation of responsibilities, not to mention budgetary restrictions? Where you had to shout on the phone with the sysops down in the basement and never knew when the service would be back?

IT has a cost. Putting data in the Cloud does not remove that cost. It does, however, remove your control over it to place it in the hands of you don't know who.

I have bad news about the software, hardware and firmware you are running in your datacenter though. Hold on, did that consultant just walk out with a large USB stick?

1. K

Re: Choose your tools wisely.

@Destroy, You actually have faith in SLA's? Or that others employees think 2hr or 4hr is a reasonable SLA when they cannot earn commission?

2. Blank-Reg
        FAIL

"Hold on, did that consultant just walk out with a large USB stick?"

And that's any different with a cloudy provider?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Holmes

And that's any different with a cloudy provider?

No, and that's the point.

Welcome to the Real World, where you have to take decisions that are neither black nor white.

You actually have faith in SLA's?

No, but you have to make the good out of the bad. A penalty clause can rarely be enforced in-house. On the other side of the "house" interface though, it can. Money and lawyers concentrate the mind.

In the end, you have to the comparison of the attributes that different solutions offer you now and five years out, then select accordingly.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Welcome to the Real World

In the Real World, you don't go putting confidential company data in the hands of complete strangers, penalty clause or no. Fat lot of good a lawsuit will do you when your IP starts showing up in competitor's products, or your customer base starts shrinking so fast your head spins.

When you have your data in-house, you have the possibility of witnessing the progress, assessing the situation, calling in expertise if necessary, switching to another server you hastily set up (or have carefully planned). You know what is going on.

You can't call for expertise when your data is managed by another company - that is their call.

2. K

" On the other side of the "house" interface though, it can."

Oh jeez... You think an SLA agreement gives a get out of jail-free card to an IT department?

SLA's are worth less than the paper they are printed on. Why do you think there are so few law suits? because every Service Providers meets the SLA?!! No, its because the cost, time, distraction and potential of losing means it would cost more than it retrieves.

Meanwhile, the IT team will be sanctioned, and the CIO/CTO likely culled!

2. JeffUK

Re: "having [..] storage silos is a costly nightmare of managing [..] storage infrastructure"

You have exactly the same problem if you have a centralised data centre. In both scenarios, of course you would keep things local that have a true high-availability requirement. There are, however, lots of other reasons not to want to hand over all your data to a start-up . . .

2. Shadow Systems

Ah yes, The Cloud.

No thanks. I'll keep my data under MY control, protection, & management where it belongs, rather than in some nebulous, unsecureable, unmaintainable, & untouchable "Cloud".

Some ThreeLetterAgency wants to get access to my data they have to come to ME to get it, not merely take a copy off someone else's servers I have zero control over.

So you can keep your cloud, I'll keep my feet & data firmly on the ground Thankyouverymuch.

*Lewd crotch, flipper, tentacle, wing, nostril, eyestalk, noodle gesture in disgust*

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon