back to article Can't get a woop, woop! Twitter gives politicians nice Gaffe-Delete button

Twitter has decided to suspend API access to Diplotwoops and Politwoops, websites that tracked politicians’ deleted tweets. Open State Foundation (OSF), which runs the sites, said in a blog post that its sites have been “extensively used and cited by journalists around the world” and that it is committed to democratic …

1. Steven Roper

I notice that Twitter is simply removing API access to the "deleted" tweets rather than actually DELETING them. So there's a clear agenda here, and what Twitter is doing by this course of action is tantamount to censorship. Hopefully the transparency sites will be able to whip up some sort of scraper that collects pollies' tweets and backs them up outside of Twitter's control.

Once you put it online, it SHOULD be permanent. Otherwise you're setting the stage for the Ministry of Truth on a global scale.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Theoretically, when I have a Twitter account, they're working for me. So, if I want to delete something that I previously published, then that should happen.

If I'm important, people will keep a copy to embarrass me anyway.

If I wasn't important 10 years ago, then what I said then shouldn't be held against me now.

1. User McUser

Theoretically, when I have a Twitter account, they're working for me.

Yes - in exactly the same way that a farmer works for the cows.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or a pimp works for the girls.

2. ZootCadillac

You are simply the product. Twitter has not yet found a way to monetize you yet but you will always be the product. Things might get easier for them in that department if they continue to cosy up to the lawmakers.

2. nsld

Simple solution

Automated retweet bot monitoring the account, once its retweeted it can be scraped and stored outside of twatter.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Political history

Wonder if this is related to the various attempts to smear Jeremy Corbyn?

The Guardian:Smear backfires

4. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

More evidence

That Twitter is run by Twits, for Twits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: More evidence

Think you missed a couple of "a"s there...

5. Yugguy

Shirley you can't be serious?

WHat's the point of trying to redact something that's likely been reproduced in countless other places?

Ah well, at least we'll always have Shirley Williams' classic "A week in politics is a long time. Three weeks is twice as long."

6. GarethWright.com

Just open source the app, or create another one with a new api key...carry on

7. ItsNotMe
    Mushroom

This really only matters...

...if one gives a Rat's Arse about anything posted on Twitter...by anyone.

8. Sean Nevin

Am I missing something?

I'm not sure on the ins and outs of Twitter, having never actually used it, but as I understand it messages are sent out to subscribers. Could the *-woops organizations not simply subscribe to the various "leaders" feeds and keep a local copy of them?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like