back to article Apple recalling iPhone 6 Pluses to correct their iSight

Apple is asking owners of its iPhone 6 Plus phablet to check the device's serial number, because some batches of the device are producing blurry photos. Cupertino says the problem is attributable to “a component that may fail causing your photos to look blurry.” If that's the case, entering your serial number here will reveal if …

1. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

You're photographing it wrong

More from the gift that just keeps on giving.

1. Mike Bell

Re: You're photographing it wrong

What a clever person you are. Apple recall a batch of devices where they state there's a faulty component, and you somehow imagine, in your fevered brain, that someone is putting the blame on the photographer.

Well done. Such stupidity is a rare gift.

1. bluesxman

It wasn't a good joke; but a joke, I believe, it was.

Reference

In that vein: you're reading it wrong.

2. Bob Vistakin
        Unhappy

@Mike Bell You're getting out of bed in the morning wrong.

3. John Bailey

"What a clever person you are. Apple recall a batch of devices where they state there's a faulty component, and you somehow imagine, in your fevered brain, that someone is putting the blame on the photographer."

Yep.

They have a sense of humour.

You have a creepy emotional attachment to a corporation.

I think I know which is healthier.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or... They find the same joke repeated ad nauseum by people who act negatively when similar jokes are made about their religion personal tech preferences extremely tedious.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Or the same joke repeated ad nauseum on ever story about Apple just gets trite and boring even if you were inclined to laugh at it the first time.

Your are <insert verb> ing it wrong.

Rounded corners.

They copied it and claimed to invent it.

Sheep.

etc.

Just make them sticky posts at the top of each article. Save these people from RSI.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The sheep one is a person favourite. It's normally followed by bleating about how much more market share brand x of Android has...

2. Bob Vistakin
              Headmaster

@werdsmith You're generalizing it wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

photos

I know I'm probably opening myself up for a fall but..

I quite like (and am impressed by) the photos that Apple are using in their ad campaign on the London Underground.

1. Captain Queeg

Re: photos

I agree - pretty much any smartphone now can generate pretty impressive images - certainly good enough not to always take along my DSLR.

My problem is though (and Apple while it's not just you, I'm looking at you more than most) the obsession with a slim form factor makes them a pig to handle even for casual photos that aren't Selfies or shots of ones dinner for Facebook....

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: photos

Unlike some, Apple never were obsessed with number of pixels. They tend to take better photos anyway IMO. A have yet to hear anyone complain about my 6MP DSLR photos.

3. Alan Denman
    IT Angle

But will the iBlind ever see this?

They bought duff equipment new but I have doubts they will notice now due to an exisiting iSight feature that puts a bunch of roses in places of negative text.

Nothing to see, move along type roses.

1. Handy Plough

Re: But will the iBlind ever see this?

Oh Alan, you wag! It's a good thing that all BB, Android and Windows devices are perfect, being they are made from pure unicorn tears.

(By the way, your fanboy is showing...)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But will the iBlind ever see this?

Behave; it's not as if any of their competitors are better. See this for example, or this, or even this...

4. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

The component that woud be faulty would be that thing known as a "camera".

The cameras always tend to be modular, once you have opened up the device and removed enough of the things that are in the way of the camera module. Usually just getting the LCD off is enough, somtimes a little bit more.

5. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"pretty much any smartphone now can generate pretty impressive images - certainly good enough not to always take along my DSLR"

Really? I suggest you do a comparison test. But yes, it may stop you from carrying another camera, but comparable quality? Nahh..

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
      WTF?

Upvoted and elaborated

"pretty much any smartphone now can generate pretty impressive images - certainly good enough not to always take along my DSLR"

Comparable quality - sometimes.

Comparable functionality - you're havin' a giraffe! Just for starters, where's the tripod mount or the fisheye lens?

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Upvoted and elaborated

Indeed so. My Nokia 1020 takes pretty good photos and has a far higher pixel count than my Nikon SLR. However, the Nikon has a bigger sensor, interchangeable lenses...blah, blah. BUT, and it's a big but, as a pro photographer friend says ad nauseam, the best camera in the world is the one you've got with you. In my case, almost invariably the Nokia.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressively modular design

"If it is indeed replacing just the camera, that hints at an impressively modular design for the iPhone 6 Plus."

Errr... You've not looked inside a camera equipped mobile phone recently/ever have you?

The cameras are almost always a module bought in from someone who knows about optics, like Sony for example.

They're small, look like silver sugar cubes, and have a little ribbon cable and connector on them. Due to the nature of cameras, they're usually one of the thickest items inside the case, and they rather need to look out of a hole. This tends to make them strangely accessible and unlikely to be hidden under things ;-p

7. Annihilator
    Headmaster

"The cameras are almost always a module bought in from someone who knows about optics, like Sony for example."

And Sony buy lenses from someone who knows more about optics, like Carl Zeiss AG - well, for their good ones anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh no they don't. They and everyone else simply pay Carl Zeiss a license fee to allow them to use the name on their own lenses.

8. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

So the way I discover that my camera takes blurred pictures...

...is to check the serial number? Wouldn't looking at the pictures be enough?

9. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Did Apple actually say at any time that anyone was holding the iphone 4 wrong?

I would be surprised if this was the case.

1. Annihilator

No, Steve Jobs allegedly responded to someone saying to *avoid* holding it that way. i.e. on the edges:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

So while not a direct quote, "you're holding it wrong" became the paraphrase of "just avoid holding it in that way"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't own an iPhone, but I am surprised Apple need people to check their own serial number. Almost all the phones will be connected to Apple via an account, so don't they already know the serial number and the email address of the user to tell them there is a problem?

1. Ivan Headache

That may well be possible - but...

With the volume of phishing email that allegedly comes from Apple requesting account verification and confirmation of purchases of fictitious apps, the smarter iPhone user probably ignores every email from Apple.

11. Cozzer79

Interesting - my phone is in the recall program, but takes great pictures. I've even won a couple of photo competitions with it, much to the disgust of a few DSLR owners.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like