back to article Windows 10 Mobile Build 10512 rolls out, but progress is sloooow

Microsoft has released build 10512 of Windows 10 Mobile as part of its Insider Preview programme. This is the first preview build since 10166 in early July. According to the official announcement, there are several small improvements, such as the ability to set the lock screen and background image from within the photos app, …

1. Franco

Personally I'm finding it much better on my Lumia 925 - noticeably faster and smoother in most features and apps. Also just noticed that HERE Drive now works with my car to give voice navigation, dunno if that's the app or the OS though.

Notifications are still broken for most things though, emails and texts are silent but WhatsApp seems to work now.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    FAIL

Password recovery

They should fix their password recovery server while they're at it. I've been trying to help someone get a password reminder or reset and the site seems to permanently having issues.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Oblig Question

Ok so we know that Windows 10 on the desktop has all sorts of 'phone home' destinations.

What about the Mobile version? Is it the same? How much can it be disabled by the user?

If so then does it use the owners sometimes expensive 3G/4G connection for this? After all a good number of users may not be connecting to the internet via WifI every day. I would not be impressed to recieve expensive roaming data charges just so that I might enjoy a fractionally better search function.

I feel that these sorts of things should be made known to every user before they use phone with this OS.

If it does not used a Data connection then great. Let everyone know ASAP.

1. Franco

Re: Oblig Question

Either it's not as bad, or they aren't being as open about it (hard to say which, seeing as it's still in Tech Preview). You get the prompts about location, advertising ID, WiFi Sense etc on first start. Certainly I'm not having issues with excessive data use, and my contract only allows 500mb/month, although I did have to phone Three and get them to unblock my phone when I first started using the TP as they thought I was tethering a device due to the unrecognised OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought that tethering on '3' was included in yout allowance? I've tethered a few different OS's without issue.

1. Franco

It's package dependent now apparently, and not included in mine. Not an issue as I never used it, but something to be aware of if you are on 3 with a package that doesn't include it and are thinking of signing up for Windows Insider.

4. Kar98
    Coffee/keyboard

Are we there yet?

Tried on my 1320 for a few days (as opposed to just a few hours last time I checked it out). Overall, I like what I'm seeing. The new phone app, the added functionality in Cortana, the calculator and the music player, all looking very promising. But I do need my call+SMS filters, quiet hours and weather on the glance screen. Also, I need battery life and a phone that doesn't heat up like crazy. And the My Account app from T-Mobile US (and a few other apps) didn't work anymore. Lenses aren't supported yet either, and I really can't live without custom ring and text tones. But there's nice progress and I think once RTM time comes around, it will all be fixed, right? Right? For now, I went back to 8.1.

5. Kyorin

To proclaim the imminent death of Windows phone based on using pre-release software is somewhat unprofessional surely. Windows mobile may well die at some point, but to foist an opinion and your conclusion on to the public at large based on an OS that isn't even finished is somewhat sensationalist, but then may be that was the intention.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Kyorin...

...I think it's perfectly fair for The Reg to review Windows Phone 10 as it stands now. Who knows when Microsoft will release it? Could be now, next week, next month or perhaps never. It might get better, it might get worse: Microsoft has managed to adopt an entirely stochastic development process. Quite exciting to watch really, as long as you're not a customer of theirs.

Microsoft released Windows 10 by seemingly taking a cut of whatever had been checked into the Windows source repository on whatever day their loopy marketing department told them to. I don't think anyone who's used Windows 10 for more than 5 minutes could mistake it for a finished product.

1. Spoddyhalfwit

Re: Kyorin...

I updated to Windows 10 about 3 days after official release - on my main development machine. It feels polished and finished to me, and most stuff worked after the upgrade (I had to run repair on SQLServer 2012 and Visual Studio as was getting message about a missing DLL).

Seems to me most reviewers and users (outside of the reg, which isn't a typical user-set) have liked it.

Windows 8 to me felt half finished and ill-conceived - but I'm loving 10, and it seems faster to me.

I'm looking forward to what they can do on the phone, where 8 worked much better than on the PC.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, you're probably safe from the stack ranking for another year.

2. Kar98

> Who knows when Microsoft will release it?

Nov 29.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nov 29.

Sure, I believe them, because nothing could possibly change between now and end of November could it?

2. JP19

"To proclaim the imminent death of Windows phone based on"

In 5 hours we have 10 comments and 5 votes. It seems hardly anyone here cares about windows on mobiles - same as the rest of the world and that is why it is dead.

6. big_D Silver badge

It does what it says on the tin...

"Groove Music gave me an error – “Can’t play. To continue, sign in” – when I was already signed in. A few attempts later and it started working. This is the kind of thing that infuriates users."

Erm, this is a Beta preview for enthusiasts and testers. If you get frustrated with bugs like this, instead of being enthusiastic about reporting them, then the preview programme isn't for you... :-S

1. Robert Grant

Re: It does what it says on the tin...

Yeah exactly. This isn't the place for a frothy, medium.com article on how much/little I was delighted by this mystical technobox.

Bikeshedding later, please.

2. Tim Anderson

Yes it is a preview; but there is not much point in trying stuff out if you do not report honestly on the experience. I like Windows Phone / Mobile etc and would love for Microsoft to get this right and revive the platform somehow. At the same time it is fair to say that Microsoft's media player efforts have a long history of not working right - Windows Media Player has always been slow and prone to throwing up obscure errors - and this stuff is important to the user experience. Streaming your own stuff from OneDrive is a great feature but only if it works reliably.

Tim

1. big_D Silver badge

@TIm, I agree, but the rant should be going in the Microsoft bug reporting system, not an article.

The way it was written here is wrong for a beta-tester in an open forum.

Reporting that there are currently problems with Groove and logging onto the service is one thing.

Ranting about how this is infuriating for users is just wrong for a pre-release. This is a pre-release and normal users won't be using it, only those testing it and helping to improve the package. IF it was a report on the final bits that had been released for general public consumption, I would stand behind the comment.

This is a perfect example of people failing to distinguish between a pre-release preview of a product (where it is expected that things don't work, so you don't get worked up about it, you just report the bug in the tracking system) and a real shipping product.

2. bobgameon

While i appreciate your honesty in reporting the issues i do have one question to ask.

Did you do a hard reset of the phone after upgrading to 10512?? It has been said officially by Microsoft that to get the best experience out of the TP you have to do a hard reset every time you upgrade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like