back to article Windows 10 keeps Microsoft's odd desktop-as-a-service rules

Microsoft won't change its licensing options to permit services providers to offer Windows 10 desktops-as-a-service (DaaS) on shared infrastructure. Redmond's rules divide the DaaS word into two categories. In the first, a service provider runs “dedicated” infrastructure that delivers DaaS for only one client customer and is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PC/Laptop OEMs would revolt

That's my take on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PC/Laptop OEMs would revolt

Looking at the past decade, I'm not that sure. There's something that's pinning them on Microsoft's walls.

2. Griffo

RE:PC/Laptop OEMs would revolt

I've been told exactly that by insiders. The OEM's have basically said if Redmond opened up cloud desktops to the masses, that they would start shipping their hardware with Linux instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE:PC/Laptop OEMs would revolt

Given the cutthroat competition in both the business and consumer markets, paying for the Windows license makes zero sense for the OEM if the customer is going to turn around and use own (on premises or in customer datacenter) or DaaS from a provider. In any case, Microsoft is the Tyrranosaurus in the room should they ever loosen up. After all, Microsoft doesn't have to pay a license fee to themselves should Windows DaaS happen, therefore Azure has that segment with a huge RESERVED sign on those tables. No, this is a frozen in amber situation.

Eventually a solution will present itself although you can bet a roll of hundreds that Microsoft will be looking at all the tactics that Oracle has used to date to captivate (enslave?) their market segment. [I've spent no small amount of time, and money for hardware, attempting Windows desktops on a BYOD client base here SO/HO. No way.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...they would start shipping their hardware with Linux instead"

Any lightweight hardware/OS combo that included an RDP/VNC client would do. In fact, it would be pretty easy to roll your own from existing FOSS components.

1. WylieCoyoteUK

I have seen customers with exactly that in place, Linux based units running RDP to a windows server somewhere on the internet.

2. Shadow Systems

That's easy. They'll do it for the money.

If they can make an extra bit of cash from shafting their customers, the customers get bent over a table, ridden doggystyle with a Rodeo Cowboy yell, and laughed at as we end up with a scathing STD that requires months of treatment to deal with.

Don't want to get raped by Microsoft? Don't install Windows 10.

Want to be Microsoft's Bitch? Enjoy your copy of Windows 10 & ThatDigitalSpyingBitch!

*Dives for the FireProofBunker before the flame war erupts around me*

1. Field Commander A9
      Mushroom

I doubt that bunker's gotta do you any good,

seeing this GBU-28 has got your name on it.

3. P. Lee

>Redmond's rules divide the DaaS word into two categories. In the first, a service provider runs “dedicated” infrastructure that delivers DaaS for only one client and is therefore allowed to offer Windows-as-a-service.

What is a "client"? is it a PC, a person or what? And what is "dedicated"?

I'm not sure what the state of Windows licensing is at the moment. If I have a PC in a shared area, various people (I presume) can rock up and log into it, one person at a time, but different people at different times. Can I do that with RDP being the virtual chair?

4. Mikel

LTSP

Meanwhile, The Linux Terminal Server Project marks 16 years of providing DaaS on shared hardware for the low low price of nothing per seat.

1. Naselus

Re: LTSP

"Meanwhile, The Linux Terminal Server Project marks 16 years of providing DaaS on shared hardware for the low low price of nothing per seat."

Yes, and it's achieved such market dominance in that time.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

LTSP over the WAN is a lot like grinding off your genitals with an acid covered cheese grater while you're on fire and in hell. And fuck, that's just the shitty connectivity of the login, let alone trying to use the smegling thing!

Sorry mate, but Linux needs to get Weland/Weston front and center, with its freerdp server, and get all the bugs shaken out before it can compete with Microsoft on this.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Coat

@Trevor_Pott: upvoted for vividness metaphor.

"Linux needs to get Weland/Weston front and center, with its freerdp server"

@all: is there a distro that has this available even as alpha/proof of concept? Fedora 22 with a wayland session selected seems to handle its own desktop well already.

Coat: trying not to hijack Windows 10 threads but this is interesting.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I honestly don't know. I haven't checked the bleeding edge stuff in a few months. Been busy migrating everything away from RHEL since RHEL7 is such shit. Learning Slack and Debian in real depth takes time.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
            Coat

Slackware? Wayland? Good heavens (checks that sky is not falling, wearing good thick overcoat for the freezing over of hell &c).

Best of luck.

2. Paul 129
        Angel

@Trevor NX is great over a wan, was able to send video faster than rdp. Shame about the Moribund nature of support for OpenGL, ie version 1. It means some applications just will not work.

X2go was the implementation I preferred. Best of all its only, like grinding off your genitals with an angle grinder

3. Mikel

@Trevor

You're using it wrong.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

MS wants you to use your MS Account

Wherever you go.

Then they can offer more 'personalised' services to you. Well that's what their marketing dream is.

By using one account they can make sure that:-

1) You have paid your montly/weekly/daily tithe to Redmond

2) The tithe will ensure that you can only use the software you have paid for on any PC on the planet.

No logging on and using Office if you have not paid for it....

3) They can track your usage and if you exceed your agreed limits it will log you out on the spot

This is not far from some car Insurers. You agree an anual mileage. Exceed that by a certain % and they have grounds for invalidating your insurance.

This is IMHO where they are heading. Sort of Software DRM.

You will join the good ship MS-BORG (or will you?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MS wants you to use your MS Account

Dear Microsoft, how's it feel to want?

In actuality, we are most definitely not the customers they want. Influencers yes, but ever ready to point out the Emperor's wardrobe malfunctions.

6. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Microsoft's horrific approach to VDI is the reason I started to loathe their business practices in the first place. it is what led me to question them and the more answers I found to to my questions the less trust in Microsoft I was able to maintain.

Microsoft's views on LDI licensing are abhorrent. Putting the whole "Microsoft were late to the invasion of your privacy party but when they showed up they brought their A game" thing to one side...just for how they fuck us all on VDI licensing alone, I hope Microsoft fail. A pox on the houses of each and every one of them who had even the most tangential thing to do with this clusterfuck of halfwittery.

1. drexciya

I totally agree. We used to offer virtual desktops (Horizon View), when delivering training on-site or on different locations, but officially, you need to pay up for each separate physical desktop that connects to a virtual desktop. Let's say you use the same desktops at three different locations, you have to pay 3 times the cost of a desktop. This is simply stupid and it totally kills any reason to offer desktops this way.

7. thondwe

Come 2016, come new licence screw up opportunities

Windows Server 2016 brings a new type of RDP - "Personal Session Desktops" which seem to look more like a VDI session than an RDP session and could pull the rug out from under the VDI market for all but niche use cases. But since it's just a fancy RDP session one could assume that an RDP CAL licence would work.

Am fully expecting MS licencing (spits!) to break this logic though!

Paul

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like