back to article Don't fight the cistern: Voda takes the plunge with plumbers’ parking app

The Vodafone bright ideas department, xone, has been testing its car-tracking system with a plumbing company in London, potentially saving the pipe/washer-related enterprise "£100,000 a year". It’s the job of xone to tinker with new technology and then work out how to sell it. The Drivexone is a device which contains a GSM …

1. Buzzword

"Up to 30 per cent of vehicles driving around inner cities are just looking for parking."

83% of statistics are made up on the spot.

1. phil dude
      Thumb Up

not sure...

if this deserved the "WTF" icon or the "Joke Alert".

P.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

"83% of statistics are made up on the spot."

Erm actually, I think you'll find that *I* think it's 86%.

1. VinceH
        Boffin

89.4% of people get that made up statistic wrong.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

94.7% of people claimed that 86% of statistics are made up on the spot

2. Chris G

Lost revenue

The councils are going to lose penalty revenues if this really takes off, so expect to see charges go up

3. Warm Braw

Pimlico Plumbers are London’s biggest providers of plumbing services

From employing Buster Martin to being up for every bit of TV exposure available, Pimlico Plumbers certainly have a knack for getting free publicity.

4. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip
    Big Brother

OBD II

I am a bit perplexed as to why a parking app needs access to the vehicle diagnostics just to find a parking space? Must be lots of additional snooping going on but details of this this seems to be missing from the marketing spin.

1. maffski

Re: OBD II

I assume vehicle speed is used to detect when you leave the parking spot - GPS dead zones in built up areas (or underground) would make this inaccurate otherwise.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A simple motion sensor could do that job. There must be something else going on.....

2. Annihilator

I wondered that. My only guess is that it's to figure out what kind of vehicle it's currently attached to, as parking costs can vary on vehicle size (vans costing more than cars etc), but it's a stretch.

Other advantage being it's an easy way of keeping it powered without leaving it visible.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A parking app?

So that's what Vodafone are doing, instead of fixing their miserable, frustrating, unhelpful, time-squandering customer dis-service. What a useless company.

6. Frank Bitterlich
    Big Brother

Combine the useful with the creepy...

... as in "Combine an app that shows free parking spaces with a gadget that sniffs around in your car's data and your driving habits." None of the users will question whey these two things need to be combined or even understand that they are constantly being monitored.

I just wonder why the OBD-II gadget doesn't feature a CCTV camera and voice recorder.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"OBD-II port is mandatory on all cars sold since 1995"

Are you sure about that?

I've got a UK 1996 car that would beg to differ...

1. arnieL

Re: "OBD-II port is mandatory on all cars sold since 1995"

I had a 1998 Mondeo that did have OBD II, but that is probably because it was a car that was sold in the USA.

From the usual place:

EOBD

The EOBD (European On Board Diagnostics) regulations are the European equivalent of OBD-II, and apply to all passenger cars of category M1 (with no more than 8 passenger seats and a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 2500 kg or less) first registered within EU member states since January 1, 2001 for petrol (gasoline) engined cars and since January 1, 2004 for diesel engined cars.[13]

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

My guess would be that it applied to all new models from that date, with an exemption for some period for models already on sale - that how a lot of regs like that tend to be.

As to why it needs OBD ...

Best guess would be for speed, steering information if available, and compass heading if available. GPS can be "somewhat tetchy" in some types of built up area, so the best systems augment the raw GPS location with other data to maintain more accurate positioning. The simplest of these additions is "distance travelled", and if you add turn/steering information and a good road map then you can apply logic like "well the GPS could put us on this road or that road, the vehicle has just turned right, there's no right turn off that road so we must be on this road" to increase quality/accuracy of positioning.

My standalone Garmin 7200 has an optional input for the speedo signal - specifically to keep tracking going during momentary loss of signal (in amongst tall buildings, under bridges, etc) - the alternative is to just assume that the vehicle is still travelling at the same speed until the signal comes back.

1. Ben Tasker

My guess would be that it applied to all new models from that date, with an exemption for some period for models already on sale - that how a lot of regs like that tend to be.

It was mandatory from 2001 (petrol) and 2004 (diesel) on all newly manufactured cars (regardless of the age of the model range). It was fitted to some cars before that, other manufacturers (*cough* Citroen) used an OBD-II port as the physical interface, but didn't use spec-compliant protocols, so it looked like you could use your diagnostic computer when you couldn't.....

Definitely wasn't mandatory from 1995 though

3. Annihilator

It should read "mandatory on all cars sold in the US since the end of 1995"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone really think that the "Click" to park part of this system will remain or will they just bill you based on the GPS?

That's how they'll make money plus if you look at the following two numbers which one looks bigger?

£5 per hour

10p per minute

Also if they manage to make gps mandatory for all cars (probably a pedoterrorist will use a car bomb in the future) then it's bye bye wardens.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I really don't know why I'm pointing this out but I shall, it's a psychological thing, a bit like when you pay £9.99 for something that really is £10.

I can't really see people running round town centre's.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I can't help but think that a fairer system would be not to charge at all. The government usually argues that parking spaces are a scarce resource so they have to charge which doesn't make any sense at all. I've visited a few large towns where parking is free (perhaps restricted to a number of hours or residents only in places) and there's no evidence that parking is more of a problem there.

It's just another tax.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vanity plates

Surprised the van in the photo doesn't have one of them - Pimlico are famous for buying up vaguely plumbing-related marks. You know, F1 OOD, B1 DET,SH17 TER, that sort of thing.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

So with this plumbed into the car's cistern - err system - the next thing we'll hear is that someone's pwned it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So with this plumbed into the car's cistern

The Polish for water is woda, pronounced voda - so given the frequent conflation of Poles with plumbing, Vodafone seems highly appropriate.

In Nabokov's Ada or Ardor, telephones are hydraulically operated (no electricity) so given his own Russian origin he missed the chance to call the system Vodafone (the Russian for water is vod), so the company would have had to call itself something else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So with this plumbed into the car's cistern

he missed the chance to call the system Vodafone so the company would have had to call itself something else.

A search on Companies House reveals that CustomerHatingDogfuckers plc has not been registered yet, should they decide to choose a more appropriate moniker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So with this plumbed into the car's cistern

"should they decide to choose a more appropriate moniker."

Voldephone? Cthulhu Everywhere? Though it does worry me a teensy bit that EE has the initials of eighty-eight. They didn't spot that one.

13. Salts

now that could...

Have IoT possibilities, ish, maybe, but can see some prospects

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like