back to article Kaspersky: Freemasons coded fake malware in the Bermuda Triangle

Eugene Kaspersky has taken to his blog to make another stinging rebuttal of a Reuters report that alleged the company that bears his name deliberately sabotaged rival antivirus packages. “The Reuters story is based on information provided by anonymous former KL employees. And the accusations are complete nonsense, pure and …

1. Teiwaz
    Unhappy

Pure click-bait...I'm disgusted.

"it's possible to determine who killed JFK, learn who controls the the Bermuda Triangle and divine the true purposes of the Freemasons if one cites anonymous sources."

How is the article headline justified, given the subjects actual statement?

And I was going to comment how it seemed that owners of anti-virus products were all turning into total nut-bars...

And I spent the weekend watching a lot of youtube on Bermuda Triangle, conspiracies et all*

*actually started watching history docs on the Roman empire and the Paleoithic age, dozed off, woke up to aliens and conspiracies, huh? - apparently it's quite a common situation, judging by a number of youtube comments

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Pure click-bait...I'm disgusted.

Disgusted? The idea is that the entirely over-the-top headline conveys Kaspersky's feeling that the allegations against him are ridiculous. As ridiculous as the headline.

1. Teiwaz
        Meh

Perhaps unsurprising if I failed to read it properly having been (more) over-exposed (than usual) to the types of titles on the some of the more 'avant-garde' scientific vids on youtube over the weekend.

Even if I hadn't, I think these types of titles are so common on the net now, it would be more usual to expect to read them as written rather than expect to read them more cerebrally.

You'll be expecting commentards to think before posting next...

Besides, "Kapersky:"... reads like a verbatim quote.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Alien

What did you expect? If you read between the lines and divide by the frequency of Foucault's Pendulum you will find that the Freemasons didn't ACTUALLY code fake malware in the Bermuda Triangle (because they are masons, not coders) but instead got them from relics found in a Mayan temple left by ancient astronauts, the location of which is shopped out on Google Maps.

We will now tune back to the discussion of several planes of Malaysian Airlines victims of P.U.T.I.N. and/or the hegemonistic faction of Reticulans.

3. Bleu

I enjoyed the article. You must be very literal-minded.

Just like to add, Reuters seems to have been trying to McAffee-ise Kaspersky, after all, McAffee (sp?) has been serving up very bizarre tales whenever he surfaces lately.

1. Naselus

"McAffee (sp?) has been serving up very bizarre tales whenever he surfaces lately."

Lies, he's been doing that since at least college.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The global central banking cartel owns and runs all news aggregators that matter, from AP, Bloomberg, DPA to Reuters.

Their main business is to generate various sly fabrications, distorting everything that happened by giving false reasons based on an entire tapestry of our Newspaper- and TV-fabricated pseudo reality.

About the only thing you can believe in the news is the weather report.

The way to read the news papers is to see what your enemies want you to think.

2. h4rm0ny

I'm inclined to trust Kapersky on this one, if I were to pick. Aside from the sheer dodginess of Reuter's "evidence" (and the fact it doesn't make a lot of sense), there was also that Bloomberg hit piece a while ago which was speculative trash. Kapersky seems to have a few enemies in the higher-up American power structures. Which given they cracked the Equation Group (NSA), is not that surprising. They were also targeted not long ago with one of the most sophisticated hacking operations we've ever seen - absolutely state-sponsored - so they provably have some very highly-placed and well-resourced enemies.

1. James O'Shea

I have recently installed Kaspersky A/V precisely because I don't believe the alleged evidence allegedly delivered by an alleged entity allegedly calling itself 'Reuters'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Judge someone by the quality of their enemies; to which I add quantity has a quality of its own. Kaspersky, yeah.

3. Fraggle850

I concur with h4rm0ny

I'd trust Kasperky's word on this and suspect the most likely actors to be state security services trying to damage his business. Deliberately poisoning a shared resource in the AV community would be suicidal and likely to be spotted. Kasperky may be a little eccentric but I doubt he's stupid.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Conspiracy?

Its like Snowden never happened!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Conspiracy?

Who?

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

I knew it. The Illuminati are behind it. And have you noticed Microsoft's logo is a "Window" as in letting in the light. OMG, Microsoft is the Illuminati and really have taken over the world.

Let's start a 'we hate Microsoft' campaign, using our Apple Macs and Android smart phones.

1. Jimboom

Arghhh.. we are too late.. they have already infiltrated our Android and Mac products! Damn you rooting/jailbreaking!!

Our only hope now is to use Ubuntu phones and Linux rigs to start the campaign..... wait a sec.... does that linux rig have a pre-2011 Intel chip?!?! WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YOU, DOOOOOOOMMED!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

TFTFY

Let's start a 'we hate Microsoft' campaign, using our Apple Macs and Android smart phones.

Let's start a 'we hate Microsoft' campaign, using our Windows 10 laptops, desktops, tablets and phones.

Oh, hang on, no need to start anything at all. MS have done THAT bit for us all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seeding false data to baffle recognition of real malicious payloads

Is this a description of Kaspersky - or Reuters?

1. Tom 13

Re: Seeding false data to baffle recognition of real malicious payloads

Neither. While I can see where some people might be confused and think it was Reuters, you need to consider that the phrase "seeding false data" implies that Reuters was aware that it was false data in the first place. No one at Reuters has ever been found inside the stadium of competency let alone on the playing field.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointing at the wall to our trusty sign..

.. with only 4 words:

I TOLD YOU SO

This is a business that is so cash rich that they have bought back all their outstanding shares, and is royally pissing off government agencies developing intercept software (and working on a new OS that is a bit more resistant to hacking and malware - it may have slipped off the radar but that doesn't mean they stopped working on it because they've been at this for more than a decade). They really don't need any of thisI think it's a sign of just how well they're doing their job if someone is trying this on.

As far back as the late nineties I’d take with me to press conferences a placard with the word ‘No!’ on it. It saved me so much time.

Yes, that sounds like Eugene Kaspersky alright :). No BS, and pretty direct but with humour.

8. nsld
    Coat

Meanwhile

My shares in bacofoil continue to rise. ....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calling Nick Redfern!

"it's possible to determine who killed JFK, learn who controls the the Bermuda Triangle and divine the true purposes of the Freemasons..."

Funny he should pick exactly those three subjects, though. Because it was the Thetans that founded the Freemasons, a conspiratorial organization that they then used carry out the plot to kill JFK... from their headquarters in the Bermuda Triangle!

1. Anonymous (Noel) Coward
      Alien

Re: Calling Nick Redfern!

Xenu is watching you and he has your metadata!

10. ausoleil

I guess the best person to start and run an AV company is a conspiracy theorist loon...because in modern-day computing, everyone IS out to get you: criminals and governments alike.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sarcasm doesn't work with the weak-minded

For those who have gone off half-cocked without reading the full article here, or Eugene's post, here, again, is the link to said post:

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2015/08/14/the-abracadabra-of-anonymous-sources/

Read it. The English in it isn't that hard. Eugene (or whoever writes those posts for him nowadays) is a pretty good writer.

As anyone who reads it can see, he's being bitingly sarcastic, for good reasons.

Man, Reuters seems to have become even more of a shill for whoever pays their bills than ever. The report they did does look like a hit piece, and not merely another example of mass media incompetence when it comes to covering technology.But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they openly publish a self-humiliating retraction after the usual face-saving (at least for the editorial board) "internal investigation".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I no longer trust the news

Seems strange how in light of Kaspersky suing Microsoft for admittedly disabling components of the Antivirus for Windows 10 users in order to promote use of their own built-in AV that now they're being connected with Russian spies. Yet Kaspersky was always praised as being the best antivirus on the market before that. Hmm? Seems orchestrated by the left to me.

I'm not on the left or right. I'm on Jesus Christ side and am a racially harmonious commandment following God-fearing Christian. However, I can see how evil, biased and desperate the left is. Seems they'll do anything to drag anyone through the mud who disagrees with their politics in any way. They truly are like Nazi's who are willing to assassinate anyone who stands in their way.

I know this is not related. But I also find it odd that Christian Bale was replaced as Batman seemingly right after he visited and comforted the victims of the 'Dark Knight Rising' mass shooting that took place in the movie theater. Was the left displeased with him because they felt he'd betrayed them by comforting 'the enemy' after they'd so carefully orchestrated the disaster? Seems the left is an evil side to join forces with. I will never support the false and immoral causes of the left. God have mercy on their souls.

13. GenM

I no longer trust the news

Seems strange how in light of Kaspersky suing Microsoft for admittedly disabling components of the Antivirus for Windows 10 users in order to promote use of their own built-in AV that now they're being connected with Russian spies. Yet Kaspersky was always praised as being the best antivirus on the market before that. Hmm? Seems orchestrated by the left to me.

I'm not on the left or right. I'm on Jesus Christ side and am a racially harmonious commandment following God-fearing Christian. However, I can see how evil, biased and desperate the left is. Seems they'll do anything to drag anyone through the mud who disagrees with their politics in any way. They truly are like Nazi's who are willing to assassinate anyone who stands in their way.

I know this is not related. But I also find it odd that Christian Bale was replaced as Batman seemingly right after he visited and comforted the victims of the 'Dark Knight Rising' mass shooting that took place in the movie theater. Was the left displeased with him because they felt he'd betrayed them by comforting 'the enemy' after they'd so carefully orchestrated the disaster? Seems the left is an evil side to join forces with. I will never support the false and immoral causes of the left. God have mercy on their souls.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like