back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Spanish summer soother salmorejo

It's been a bit of a scorcher here in sunny Spain this summer, with temperatures at SPB HQ regularly nudging the mid-30s, and accordingly our latest nosh neckfiller is a classic dish from down south offering an agreeable chilled alternative to frying bacon and eggs on the bonnet of the car. Introducing, then, Cordoban " …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Looks a good one that, Lester

But when oh when is Katerina going to be allowed at the beer? And what happened to the official pipe?

2. Anonymous Coward
  3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if only...

I'm afraid any recipe that basically starts with "preheat the atmosphere to Scorchio" isn't going to be that great in Blighty ATM. It'd also need a pan with a heavy rain-proof lid.

4. Mark 85

Here in the States where I am, it's about as hot as Spain. It's now chilling in the refrigerator and in about 3 hours, lunch!!!!!

We used a garlic bread (with chunks of garlic in it) and initial tasting before setting it aside to chill indicate this will be tasty and hit the spot.

Quick, easy to put together and not a lot of fussing. 5-stars Lester.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

A Good Start

We used a garlic bread (with chunks of garlic in it) and initial tasting before setting it aside to chill indicate this will be tasty and hit the spot.

I am not normally a fan of unadorned tomatoes for flavor, but I am going to give this a go. The garlic bread idea looks sound, but I prefer to test the base recipe first and then tweak to fit my tastes. Another possible addition is some fresh basil. Good thing I have some on hand. Perhaps a side-by-side will be in order...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A Good Start

I think chilli would be a great addition.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So ...

Liquidised tomatoes and bread? Sounds (and looks) disgusting.

1. Little Mouse

Re: So ...

I beg to disagree. Tomato, egg & bacon sandwiches are yum. I'd happily have one in soup form.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: So ...

It's nicer than it sounds and looks, especially in summer when there's no cooking required. See how they're not all peering dubiously at it before eating it in the photos?

If you want something that's worse than it sounds and looks, try Callos. A stew made with tripe and blood sausage...

6. Robin

Little addition

Salmorejo is lovely, especially in the summer but I have it all year round.

My Andalucian girlfriend's recipe for this also involves a dash of sherry vinegar (the 'Merry' brand from Mercadona for those living here). Works pretty well.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Little addition

Or if you're going to Mercadona, you can just by a litre of Salmorejo...

1. Robin

Re: Little addition

Yep, my fridge is permanently stocked with this and gazpacho. It's still nice to make it yourself now and again.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When

are you going to feature something that doesn't look like its just been expelled from the body either voluntarily or otherwise.

Have you ever heard the expression "The first bite is with the eye"?

No, didn't think so.....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: When

I think you may have missed the overwhelmingly major point of this series of culinary articles. Post Pub Nosh, when you are wearing your beer goggles ALWAYS looks better.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. x 7

Re: When

"Gates' poo machine"

never heard Microsoft called that before, but it is appropriate

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Charles Manning

Why chop then blend?

Just blend surely.

If you leave the tomato skins on, you'll end up with nice little red flecks - adding an interesting colour as well as being far less hassle.

This is post-pub nosh. Not faggy resturant grub. It should be fast and easy to do. Fiddly steps like pealing tomatoes is completely incongruent with post-pub,

1. Mark 85

Re: Why chop then blend?

Then instead of fresh, use a can (tin) of peeled tomatos. My lady who's pretty accomplished with the culinary arts thinks just drain off the liquid then as your blending add the liquid back to suit.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

The experts tell me the finished result must be completely smooth with no bits. The chopping is to release the juice onto the bread.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Cut the skin a little bit, dump them in hot water, then when you take them out they're easier to peel.

10. Bill B

"This ... is not faggy resturant grub"

I'm absolutely with the poster on this one. Eating stuff made by a guy who drops his cigarette ends in the food is to be avoided at all cost.

11. Slacker@work
    Mushroom

Where's the pipe

How are we ever supposed to take the SPB seriously if there is no pipe to qualify your boffinesque postings?!

pah, bedamned,etc. time to go and score myself some Erinmoor

12. x 7

I'd never be able to do this after a trip to the pub......

far simple recipe.....boiled eggs, ham, toast, tomato ketchup (I prefer Branston but other brands are available)

1. Tromos

re: I'd never be able to do this after a trip to the pub......

Boiling eggs??? Making toast??? After a PROPER pub outing, even getting the top off a ketchup bottle is far too much effort.

Where's the pink elephant icon when you need one?

1. x 7

Re: re: I'd never be able to do this after a trip to the pub......

the eggs were hard-boiled BEFORE going to the pub

the only cooking needed is with a toaster, which should still be possible after 8 or 9 pints of Olde Rogered or Otter's Pocket Ale

13. earl grey
    Pint

have another one

A beer for you and your mate!

14. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

tomato variety?

What variety of tomato was used in this preparation? The flavor profile would be subtly altered with different tomatoes. Perhaps a smidge more boffinry is in order?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: tomato variety?

I don't know the variety - just off-the-shelf supermarket ones. But yes, as with the olive oil, the tomato flavour will affect the outcome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon