back to article Boffins spot a SECOND JUPITER – the gas giant's baby sister

Pictures from the universe-scanning Gemini Planet Imager (GPI) show a young Jupiter-like world that formed just 20 million years ago. That's well after the dinosaurs became extinct on grand old Earth. Gemini spots the planet 51 Eridani b ... Superb imaging from Gemini The young gas giant, dubbed 51 Eridani b, is about …

1. Mark 85

How many "second" Jupiters are there?

I've heard this a few times before... Should it be: "Jupiter-like"? or "another Jupiter type"? I guess even astronomers have use advertising tricks now and then.

1. Grikath

Re: How many "second" Jupiters are there?

Jupiter is a "gas giant", Saturn has Rings. Uranus is good for jokes, and Neptune is just inconvenient because we're running out of monnikers.

Never mind that the planets are of the same type, having more or less the same basic characteristics. In PopScience speak any gas giant is a "Jupiter". If they could spot rings, some of them would be suddenly called "Saturns".

2. Frosted Flake

THANKS to The Register, for publishing the photo.

I've been getting keyboard marks on my face from the bad habit media has of publishing a cartoon instead of the photo whenever astronomers discover something. As if the photo and an artists impression were in any way equivalent.

Here we have the rare opportunity to compare THE ACTUAL DATA with the artists impression of it. They are not at all alike, are they. Now let's briefly think... which image contains actual information, and which contains only entertainment? You see what I'm saying, here?

1. VinceH

"I've been getting keyboard marks on my face from the bad habit media has of publishing a cartoon instead of the photo whenever astronomers discover something. As if the photo and an artists impression were in any way equivalent."

What amuses me in this case is that the artist clearly concluded that because the planet is like Jupiter, it would have a red spot.

3. Identity
    Headmaster

Nubile?

nubile |ˈn(y)oōˌbīl; -bəl|

adjective

(of a girl or young woman) sexually mature; suitable for marriage.

• (of a girl or young woman) sexually attractive : he employed a procession of nubile young secretaries.

1. Steven Roper

Re: Nubile?

Maybe Iain Thompson is a closet planetophile? ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"at around 800 degrees Fahrenheit (426°C)"

Checks calendar - yes, it is 2015,have not fallen into a time warp and emerged in 1947.

It's around 400°C (perhaps 420°C depending on resolution but the "800 degrees Fahrenheit" suggests otherwise.)

I don't know which is worse, prioritising an obsolete system of units or giving an exact correlate for an imprecise value.

1. Youngone Silver badge
      Pint

Re: "at around 800 degrees Fahrenheit (426°C)"

Fahrenheit, miles, inches. Sometimes it is just like 1947 around here.

Saw a road works sign in London a couple of years ago that had yards on it. The blokes doing the work weren't wearing cloth caps though, which just seemed wrong really.

Using the pint icon for irony value.

2. Tom 13

Re: "at around 800 degrees Fahrenheit (426°C)"

If you're being pedantic the c in Celestial Goofy Shit standard actually stands for centimeter. Temperature is measure is degrees Kelvin.

5. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

So..

formed just 20 million years ago. That's well after the dinosaurs became extinct on grand old Earth

This planet really could have formed the same way Jupiter did; the whole solar system could be a lot like ours,

But with dinosaurs? Bring it on!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So..But with dinosaurs? Bring it on!

The little bastards have gone to sleep now but tomorrow the garden will be full of them, unless the buzzards are overhead in which case things will go very quiet. Dinosaurs all over the place, except in the fruit cage which I finally put up out of annoyance at losing the blueberries.

There was a big mass extinction event ca 65mya, but it certainly didn't kill off all the dinosaurs. It changed the course of evolution, but we don't even know for sure whether without it the large dinosaurs would still be around or whether the evolving mammals would simply have outcompeted them. Despite the best efforts of the human race we still have ostriches and albatrosses, but without a single catastrophic event we're doing a pretty effective job of eliminating the large predators, creating a world fit for Minnesota dentists one lion at a time.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Happy

Re: So..But with dinosaurs? Bring it on!

...unless the buzzards raptors are overhead...

Buzzards are dinosaurs too, and it's fun to deliberately confuse birds of prey with velociraptors (and despite some significant differences, they are/were both feathered).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Distance from its sun?

"The young gas giant, dubbed 51 Eridani b, is about twice the mass of Jupiter, orbits a star about 100 light years away . . ."

100 *light years*??!

I imagine it will cause scientists to re-think the way solar systems form . . . .

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Distance from its sun?

Not sure what's unclear there, AC. According to the aricle the planet orbits the star at about the same distance as Saturn orbits the sun. The start is about 100 light years away from us. That's how I read it.

7. Faux Science Slayer

Highest Methane level measured yet....AND....800F (426C)....

Only 20 million years old, still 800F and the highest Methane ratio recorded PROVES that Hydrocarbons are NOT the finite artifact of past life, but in fact are a prerequisite FOR life. 'Fossil' fuel is another of the intentional, elitist directed memes of Malthus shortages, and a total LIE, see >

"Fracturing the Fossil Fuel Fable" at PrincipiaScientific.org site

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon