back to article Larry Page was held back by Google execs from flooding world with new dot-word domains

Google's new mom, Alphabet, has sent the domain name world into a frenzy following its decision to set up home at the online address abc.xyz. But behind the decision lies a deeper truth: Larry Page, as Google CEO, wanted his search giant to go big on new dot-word domain names – like .book or .computer – but was stymied by …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Oh dear

This article highlights the stupidity of this new domain policy and how it will benefit behemoths and otherwise is a cynical money grab.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Oh dear

I'm hurredly off to reserve .moneygrab and blog about it in financial and IT publications. #moneygrab NOW!

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Happy

I would like to transfer much money to your .moneygrab please be replying to me at 419.ng

Paris Hilton

Are you the wife of $DEAR_DEPARTED, rebel leader of the somalian insurgent group of upper mallfuck, with 40'000'000 (FORTY MILLION US DOLLAR) in an undisclosed storage box?

1. s5PGmU
            Happy

He's not, but I am!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TLDs should have been abolished.

There is no technical reason or excuse for the end of domain names to be limited. ICANN is a scam organization, ripping off everyone from consumers to registrar applicants, while doing little or nothing to crack down on abusive practices.

Canned top-level domains should have been abolished, opening up any string to registrants. whatever.wherever is a perfectly valid domain name, and yet we're still dealing with this fake "shortage" of domain names. If your last name is Walters, then you should be able to register bob.walters as a domain.

This is what a lot of us thought was finally going to happen when ICANN announced opening up TLDs. But nope: It turned out to be just another money grab from these do-nothing jerkoffs. If you've ever been privy to ICANN's internal communications, you know that it's a bunch of blowhards doing nothing for the Internet community at large.

1. Warm Braw

Re: TLDs should have been abolished.

>There is no technical reason or excuse for the end of domain names to be limited

There is. The whole point of DNS is the hierarchical model of authority that allows the process to scale both technically and administratively.

An entirely flat database (which is what would effectively result from a free-for-all in TLDs) would require an entirely different technical infrastructure and implies a single world authority for domain name registrations.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: TLDs should have been abolished.

There is no technical reason or excuse for the end of domain names to be limited.

Please read the recent articles on El Reg about the moronocalypse.

3. dotdavid

"Larry Page, as Google CEO, wanted his search giant to go big on new dot-word domain names – like .book or .computer – but was stymied by suits who didn't want to invest the money be the victims of a massive scam"

FTFY

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I don't see how this move to alphabet will help him anyway. Presumably the only suits than can stop him are the board. Seeing as all the old Google shares are being converted to Alphabet shares, so that Google will simply become a wholly owned subsidiary of Alphabet - nothing is changing. There'll still need to be shareholder representation on the Alphabet board.

To be honest, Page and Brin can probably overrule them anyway. As I understand it, they still control lots of votes, as they kept high voting weight shares for themselves at the float. Much as Zuckerberg did with Facebook, so he had 50% of the votes with only something like 5% of the shares.

Then again, as with Amazon, the shareholders can't complain they didn't know what they were getting. Google still make big profits, but like to invest heavily in odd areas of R&D, of which something might pay off handsomely. And Amazon don't do profits, they spend them all on growth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't see how this move to alphabet will help him anyway.

Regardless of Googles announced reasons, the "Alphabet" restructure is most likely a response to the EU (the gov bit, not the population) becoming very anti-Google recently and looking like they'll take action.

Restructuring Google gets in ahead of that, meaning the EU politicians will have to go back to the drawing board to observe, collect new evidence, then deal with the new structure.

5. smackbean

.xyz domain

Rubbish domain simply because it is three syllables.

.com can't be beaten on syllables...

1. John Sanders
      Holmes

Re: .xyz domain

The only reason it is not alphabet.com is because BMW who owns the domain doesn't want to sell it.

abc.xyz is an intelligent name that will be remembered as long as it continues to receive media exposure.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: .xyz domain

.com can't be beaten on syllables...

No, but you can beat it on phonemes. Can I interest you in a domain in ".a", for people in a hurry?

6. batfastad

Why alphabet?

Tax reasons.

Oh look, Google UK has broken even, well done all you employees. Alphabet.XYZ Cayman Islands on the other hand...

Re: Why alphabet?

No

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about this one ?

.stopspyingonme

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.thelowercasejs

.andthekangaroo

.matrixdisplay

.dotdotdashdashdashdotdotdot

9. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"Not-COM"?

Good lord, what idiocy won't these people spout?

The collapse of the gTLD bubble can't come soon enough for me. It's too late for all the speculators to be wiped out (some took profits quickly), but maybe the remainder will suffer for their sins. And if they work up a class-action suit against ICANN on some pretext that would be lovely too. (Not that there's any legal grounds for finding against ICANN, but maybe the threat would make them think a bit harder before trying something like this again.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like