back to article BLADE-WIELDING BOTS conquer humans in RADIO DEATHMATCH

The inevitable fight to the death between humanity and the soulless hordes of Skynet's robot army came a step closer recently, after hideously beweaponed drones vanquished their human adversaries in the merciless arena of the proceedings of the US communications regulator – the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Deathbot …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Disgrace

There are so many other licence free ways these beacons can be done.

This sets a bad precedent.

FCC should be ashamed. It's their job to protect and manage spectrum, not be like Ofcom and purely support large companies.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Ah, America

Home of the Vested Interest**

**If not actualy vested, at least in possession of a nice cardigan

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

In other news... FCC members early adopters of iRobot automated lawn mowers

Mysterious benefactor supplies FCC panel members with auto-mowers prior to presentation of the case, the damn things are just too convenient to risk being made inoperable due to pesky things like broadcasting in a restricted band. Won't somebody please think of the FCC!?!

[troll]

So who care's if it pisses off some geeks looking for booze in deep space, right?

We're the freakin' FCC! We don't mow our own lawns.

[/troll]

4. Rich 11

Not a carpet

so long as the system does not mount its horizontally-directed beacons higher than 24 inches from the ground

Some lawns are laid on a slope. Some houses are built on hills. Some people live near radio telescopes. If there's an intersection of the three, the cunning robots may yet blind us fleshies to the doubtless mortal threat posed by interstellar masers.

1. Vector

Re: Not a carpet

It also assumes that A) the user is smart enough to install the system properly and B) that the user won't abuse the markers for fun.

Both highly specious assumptions.

5. Little Mouse

I've checked the specs

It can't be bargained with

It can't be reasoned with

It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear

There is an Off switch though - the makers aren't completely bonkers.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: I've checked the specs

Said OFF switch is in the basement. That has no working lights. Behind a locked and barred door that has a sign on it saying "beware the leopard". The sign isn't lying.

6. Seanmon

Take a tip; take a lesson

There ain't no use in messin'

With the fellas at the freakin' FCC!

1. Little Mouse

+1 for the PJ & Duncan Family Guy lyric!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one welcome our new robot lawn mowing overlords...

1. Rick Giles

Re: Arrghhh

you beat me to it AC...

2. Pliny the Whiner

I would prefer snow-blowing robot overlords, since mowing a lawn is fairly trivial compared to moving a literal ton of snow. Lawns grow on a predictable schedule and can be maintained at a time of your choosing. Try saying that about snow.

If a lawnbot and a snowbot ever had a territorial disagreement, it's difficult to say which would win. Yes, the lawnbot has blades, but the snowbot could throw shit 10 or more meters.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Throw Snow?

Yes, the lawnbot has blades, but the snowbot could throw shit 10 or more meters.

If it is throwing the snow, it isn't properly equipped. If it came in an updated laser-wielding model, I would lay down some cash for that.

8. The First Dave

Looking at this from the other side - if there is a particularly strong emanation from space, will it allow all of these robots to break free?

Or does it take a deliberate 'third party' transmission on this frequency to do that?

9. Gigabob

Radio Telescope - Who can see that

US lawmakers probably could not see what the fuss was all about - this being radio and all.

And who says these death dealing droids are using blades - most of the cutters today use strings.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is silly

I already have a robot lawnmower (and the design for mine has essentially been around for 20+ years--electrolux started selling it in the 90's, hardly cutting edge--PUN!). And it doesn't need these silly beacons. http://www.electroluxgroup.com/en/the-lawn-mower-no-one-will-use-4355/

With the GPS and GLONASS satellite information plus dead-reckoning and obvious collision avoidance algorithms... beacons are silly and stupid. Your yard (garden) has very little in common with the floor in your house.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like