back to article Google plays musical chairs with affiliate ad networks

Google has bagged one affiliate network in favor of another. At the end of August, the world's largest ad broker will discontinue its AdSense Referrals program, the affiliate network it launched back in March 2007. Now that Larry and Serg own ad behemoth DoubleClick, they'll do the affiliate thing through DoubleClick's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

I don't care.

all your bases will be blocked.

2. John Widger

@ adnim

ditto

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Adsense, Google Informatics, Whatever

See adnim and John. Who gives a monkeys what they call the purveyors of crap, it wont darken my doors.

When you have discreet advertising, maybe I'll consider removing you from the List. Until then, ha!

Freetard? Not if my DVD collection says otherwise. And my subs to BBC and Sky. And my collection of videogames on various media (some of which I can't actually read any more - anyone got a spare floppy drive?) going back to the 80s. Oh, and to various sites that offer an ad-free version. Apart from that though, freetard, yes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Who actually sees adverts anyway?

Once upon a time, there were static adverts. Just like the ones in newspapers. Nobody objected to them, because it was understandable that sites with no other form of income had to be paid for. Which meant there was a reasonable chance somebody might actually SEE the adverts, and thereby benefit the person that paid to show the advert.

These days, adverts are more likely to be annoyances rather than static ads, which means that most people block them. Daft move that -- now, people are LESS likely to see your ads.

5. Sabahattin Gucukoglu

No Ads, Per Force!

I'm blind, and most ads don't include alts, hence get skipped with the touch of a key. And because I'm blind, I don't download images. And because I'm careful, I don't take no cookies from no-one unless approved first, do the same for javascript, and restrict ActiveX/Flash/etc to the trusted list. All of which means that the Internet stays mostly 1.0 for me. It's fast, too, and very peaceful, without popups I don't ask for, lots of noise from silly ads and terrible performance. I still allow bgsound and equivalent, because that's very occasionally cute. Meta refresh still accepted, too, because that's often used for more good than evil. The funny thing is that CSS is getting used more now that it's pretty much usable and the web is becoming more standards-focussed, so this setup even works in elinks! It's so nice to see new functionality actually *restore* interoperability, rather than take it away.

And The Register? Yeah, I've bought my merchandise already ...

Cheers,

Sabahattin

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like