back to article Is SproutCore worth the Flash and Java iPhone snub?

A little-known open-source project became the subject of intense interest recently, following a session at Apple's developer conference in San Francisco, California. That project? SproutCore. Apple offered to show WWDC attendees a way to deliver a "first-class user experience and exceptional performance" in web applications …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Howie

Apple v Google

SproutCore seems to me to be Apple's answer to Google's Web Toolkit (GWT). Rather than using Ruby, it uses Java, but the results are the same - a set of HTML + Javascript files. GWT goes further with the ability to itegrate into back-end Java server code plus ful ability to debug prior to exporting to Javascript. Apple has some way to go in this toolkit arena, but it my view this is clearly an iPhone v Android web application battleground.

2. Jon Teda
    Linux

Seems like a platform that has room to grow...

Seems like platform with potential. Accent on 'potential'. I have nothing more interesting to say except does anyone think developers outside of Apple would be interested?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Ross Taylor
    Coat

Sproutlore?

Robert Rankin must be proud. Finally, someone in the big wide world pays homage to the man who invented Sproutlore, The Sprouts of Wrath and Sprout Mask Replica. And with Apple's backing too, a combination particularly rich in vitamins...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's like a cut-down GWT then?

The lack of IE6 compatibility and use of Ruby over Java makes it an also-ran in my book, but each to their own.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Similar to Objective-J

Another interesting project is Objective-J - http://objective-j.org/

Being used for 280slides - http://280slides.com/

7. Macka
    Thumb Up

Nimble .vs. Clunky

SproutCore apps have the advantage that if application bugs are discovered, or new functionality added, it only has to be fixed/installed at the server side for the end users to get the benefits. Compare that to plug-in runtimes: for example the recent press about zero-day security vulnerabilities in Flash. When Adobe eventually pull their finger out of their ass and produce a fix, how long is that going to take for the world to catch up? Many months I'll wager. Plus the global install effort in man hours wasted and the extra download bandwidth consumed will be vast. Could you even begin to put a cost on that? Server centric apps using toolkits like SproutCore are nimble, easier to maintain, and more available to end users.

8. Stan
    Happy

Brentford...

..., the world capital of web development

9. James Dennis
    Alert

Currently Unusable

Shows promise. When I first tried it about 4 weeks ago I found the response times poor and a lot of UI blocking going on which kills user experience. This seems to be almost 100% solved now. However, majority of the sample controls are broken on IE7 for me.

10. Elmer Phud
    Coat

re: Sproutlore

Indeed it is linked to Barry the Time Sprout.

In fact what the developers won't tell you is that it only works in Brentford and it's not been developed in the U.S. but in a shed on the allotment.

Mines the one with Brentstock Security on the back

11. RichyS

IE

<quote>Internet Explorer is not properly supported</quote>

You mean, IE does not properly support SproutCore or the Javascript standard correctly.

12. MacMadWeb
    Stop

Not convinced by SproutCore

I have been using various frameworks in the past year or so and have quite some experience in it.

I don't think that SproutCore deserved all the credits it's currently getting. The only real application so far deployed on some decent scale is Apple Web Gallery (or rather .Mac), and honestly performance are lacking badly.

It's remind me a lot almost Microsoft here with how much vaporware stuff is being written when no one for sure has seen a final working app. I think that July 11 is going to show what I suspect : beautiful user interface (classic Apple) but poor performance.

Here is what I suggest when everything is available : let's check browser memory footprint and overall application response time for loading and using it... I think that until we have something to see and use, it's a lot of wasted bandwidth to claim that SproutCore is solving every problem of the web !

As mentioned in an earlier post, Cappuccino is way more oriented toward Cocoa than SproutCore !

SproutCore force you to use Ruby for your development : this is a no go for many folks.

13. Jose Hales-Garcia
    Gates Horns

Thankfully a break from Microsoft's 1990s

Article states: "That is understandable, bearing in mind the quirks of IE6, yet Microsoft's obsolete browser still has a 27 per cent market share, according to the latest figures from HitsLink."

Where would we be without a company like Apple? Stuck in the past supporting IE 6.

Good riddance to IE 6!

The Register should quit towing the Microsoft line and promoting obsolete ideas.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cappucino = extra froth?

A mix of java and cocoa would be a mocha, not a cappucino.

15. Daniel B.
    Flame

Ruby? Meh.

Nice thing it was ... until I read 'Ruby'. Straight to the trashcan.

I just don't understand Apple's aversion to Java, its exclusion from the iBone is just idiotic. And why, oh why would they go for Ruby ??? I'd rather see Obj-C on the RIA iPhone apps than the horrible Ruby thingy. And I am *not* an Obj-C fan either! (In fact, I think ObjC is kind of Smalltalk disguised as C.)

That other Objective-J sounds better than this, though ... if only because it has _no Ruby_.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like