back to article Oz carriers to Attorney General Brandis: get OUT of our networks

Australia's telecommunications industry has spoken with one voice: George Brandis Attorney-General-as-Sysadmin legislation is a mess. The Attorney-General's (AG's) department has published the submissions received on the legislation (here), and among the ten industry-written submissions there's not one in support of the …

1. silent_count

I don't think this government is competent enough to be genuinely malicious but I could imagine orders along the lines of, "In the interests of security, all telco kit must now be ordered from BrandisCorp."

2. FozzyBear

This proposed legislation

is intrusive in the extreme. How can the government possibly justify dictating what or how a telco network should operate Seriously, on a good day a politician couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a fistful of fifties. Now they are going to dabble in nationwide networks.

3. notowenwilson

It's incredible that a government that is big on 'small government' and is ideologically welded to the notion that everything is done better/more efficiently by the private sector rather than by government should be so intent on centralising decision making in THE GOVERNMENT. If you're going to tell businesses how to run their operations, why not just nationalise them so you can run the business and then take all the profit?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Is it bad of me to wish that Brandis and his boss would just suffer a stroke or something? I cannot think of any net benefit from either of the pricks.

5. PaulusTheGrey
    Big Brother

Political Asylum

At one time a British comedian and author of Irish descent (familiar to Australians of a certain age as well) said that the Houses of Parliament was the best political asylum in the world. From what my relatives in Oz have been saying - coupled with these stories - Canberra seems to be putting in a bid for this title. As the evidence mounts it looks as if they might succeed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like