back to article Telstra's Netflix downloads get EVEN SLOWER

Netflix has released its new monthly rankings of Australian internet service providers' (ISPs) download speeds for video streamed from its servers and has found that Telstra is the worst-performing of the six it samples. Telstra is Australia's dominant carrier and promotes its networks as the nation's finest, but it also owns …

1. Snow Wombat
    Facepalm

Hilarious

Telstra is blaming it's on crap regional infrastructure for the stats, but instead of spending money to actually improve said infrastructure, they are just rolling out a competing service which is bound to fail because if they try and give it preference over Netflix the ACCC is going to pants them like they always do.

Someone PLEASE get me off this snake infested mental asylum of an island!

1. Mark Exclamation

Re: Hilarious

You're free to leave at any time! In fact, please do - if you don't love it here, LEAVE!

2. Lyle Dietz

Re: Hilarious

The funny part of that is that even on Telstra Cable you get a shit-house Netflix experience.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What speed is required for full HD NetFlix with no streaming issues? If it's < 2mb/s then who cares how much faster than that the connection is?

1. Zmodem

40 Mbps for blu-ray, 8Mbps for dvd, its all in the bitrate stream, most dvd`s are 8000kbs and ac3 are 1000kbs per channel, so they need the buffer

1. Charles 9

But net streams are more compressed than disc streams. I think for SD streaming 2Mbit/sec is a safe bet while IINM Netflix says you need 15Mbit/sec for HD.

2. Tom Samplonius

"What speed is required for full HD NetFlix with no streaming issues? If it's < 2mb/s then who cares how much faster than that the connection is?"

5Mbps is the speed of a typical Netflix HD stream.

1. Zmodem

tron legacy would look like a spectrum game

3. Mark 65

VPN

Be interesting to see what speed gets achieved over a Telstra connection to Netflix both with and without a VPN connection to PIA etc. Is it just a shit network or are there active shenanigans? I know for me using a VPN speeds up my mobile speeds on Telstra so who knows what crap they're trying to pull there.

1. as2003

Re: VPN

Time for some investigative journalism...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll stick to DVD BluRay

Bandwidth ain't something we have were I live.

And that's in a state capital.

5. robfullarton

I'm a telstra customer, my adsl connection is good (20Mbs) but these days when watching netflix I often get buffering and low res video in peak times.. I'm in Brisbane.. It's slowly getting worse.

1. Zmodem

if you take the bitrate of 5000kbps, you just remove the last number to know what Kbs your connection needs to be able to download at without any buffer, so it would be 500Kbs actual download speed, which is slower then 3g which can download at 800Kbs, with full 8Mbs which you can sometime get on EE using http://multiget.sourceforge.net/

6. Shane 4

Speeds

I am on Telstra cable 100mbit which is already 3 times faster than the NBN obsolete crap government wants to roll out over here.

I can confirm ever since Netflix arrived here, The cable speeds have become a joke especially around peak time as everyone wants to use the net or stream.

It must be the reason why Telstra gave us cable users DOUBLE the monthly gb allowance from 500gb to 1tb, That was as soon as Netflix came here to try and make up for the crap speeds we now get.

So thank you Netflix for the extra 500gb from competition but also damn you for halving my speeds. lol

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like