back to article Asahi premiers pint-pulling robo-barman

Friends, does life get any better than this? It’s a robot. It grins. It serves you beer. Watch - and drool. Hands up if you want one? Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com More video reviews at ChannelFlip.com

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd be more impressed

if it could pull a decent pint of Guinness.

2. Ash
    Thumb Down

Rubbish

Having been a barman in an ale bar for 8 years (part time), I pride myself on being able to pour a decent pint.

Popping caps off bottles one every 15 seconds and pouring half a pint of lager in a pint glass can be done by a seven year old with learning difficulties.

THAT thing is a 1/4 tonne of corporate willy waving, and not a very good attempt at it.

3. M
    Happy

WOW!

Well, I, for one, welcome our beer serving overlords...

I also like Asahi beer as well but I probably prefer Sapporo.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Thats one very expensive bottle opener

But at least when it breaks down you can probably still open bottles with it.

5. Stu
    Happy

*hand up* yes I want one.

But then I also want 'Caroline' from Asahi Beer in my... yes.

Am I right in assuming it only deals with those small bottles. How about the big bottles of Magners? Or does it only serve this Asahi beer?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hm

Best not replace the girls at littlePSX >.>

7. Adam Foxton
    Coat

10 points to the first to identify the source...

"Ice. Gin. A squeeze of lime. Your cocktail, Dr Mariner."

The one with "Thank you, No.2" lasered into the back of it...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

But can it put glasses in the dishwasher?

So that stops the Friday night flirt with the barmaids, shame on you Ashai.

Paris, because I would rather flirt with her than metal mickey....

9. Chris

Stop everything right there!

That's the apex of human civilisation. We've finally realised our true potential.

I suggest that we stop every activity right now so we don't screw it up.

10. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

@Stu

Why worry about Magners? Surely no one drinks it now it's stopped being fashionable among the trendy-wendies?

Re. Guiness... as long as it's quick. Anything's better than waiting two hundred years for some bar-monkey who's lapped up the adverts to finally hand over your beer...

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Down

Useless

The girls behind the bar of my favourite pub are much nicer to look at. What a tremendous waste of time and talent just to create another machine that steals away human jobs.

13. Nigel Whitfield
    Stop

It's not the first one

Cynthia's Cyber Bar, in one of the railway arches around London Bridge/Bankside, used to have a robot that made cocktails.

You pressed a button on the bar for the one you wanted and it grabbed the ingredients, did the mixing and presented it to you. A bit more clever than taking a lid off a bottle.

Sadly Cynthia's is no more, but there's a picture on this page: http://www.strangestbooks.co.uk/page15.html

14. Gianni Straniero
    Stop

Have we learned nothing?

Look what happens when you mix beer and robots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGxUSjbqBk

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fifth element anyone?

"You--want--some--more?"

16. Glenn Alexander
    Stop

Just what we want!

After a day of beating our collective heads against consumer-grade technology, do we really want to be served a drink by a machine (beyond the novelty value that will last about one visit to the bar)? Or do we want to see a human being, preferably an attractive one of our preferred gender?

17. Charles Manning

Since most "beer" is so crap...

I'd rather the robot just drank the stuff for me.

If this thing wants tips it better get a rack mount.

18. Winston Smith

"Ice. Gin. A squeeze of lime."

That'll be "Short Circuit", of course:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/

I'll be more impressed with this overpriced beer ad (the robot's overpriced, dunno about the beer) if it can gain self-awareness from a lightning bolt and learn to mix a gin and tonic by reading a bar manual.

19. Craig McCormick
    Thumb Down

Re: Guinness @ Tony Smith

I've personally poured and drank many, many pints of Guinness. I can definitely taste the difference in a poorly poured pint. It's not a case of lapping up adverts, it's doing something properly. Go to Dublin and tell them it doesn't matter how it's poured. Go on, I dare ya!

And it's a far better pint than any glass of urine coloured rubbish that comes out of the other taps.

Sorry fella, but your ignorance was just too annoying to leave,

20. Seán

@Craig McC

The worst possible pint of Guinness is served in Toners. They just pull it straight in a full pint and then you have to watch it settle and then taste it. It tastes like metal filings mixed with the bitterness of disappointment. The 2/3 pint pause gives a decent head which doesn't immediately go nicotine brown and flatten to a millimetre in height.

Guinness have instituted a task force which goes round the pubs checking for clean beer lines and doing refresher pint pulling courses for the more imbecilic barmen.

21. Andy Worth

Screw the robot....

....I just want "Caroline from Asahi beer". She looks better, sounds better and I have no doubt could probably open bottles faster and pull a better pint.

22. Neil

Re: Guinness @ Tony Smith

Sorry Stu, but you're obviously a bit of a beertard when it comes to Guinness.

I'd rather have the moderatrix serve me beer any day of the week. How about it?

23. Ash
    Thumb Up

@Tony Smith

It's left to settle so you don't get a head the size of your forearm when it's finished.

However, it USED to be because the old stout being hand pulled was left to settle under the bar, and was topped up when a customer came to buy a pint.

24. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Guiness

The reason there's a large head is because almost everyone who serves the stuff up pops the glass down flat and leaves the gas-propelled - nitro-keg, invented by Guiness, and a crime against decent ale - liquid to pour out of the tap.

Half a pint's worth of proper pulling experience tells you if you hold the glass at an angle, this is far less of a problem. And gets the beer to the thirsty punter (ie. me) much more quickly.

This is why I gave up drinking Guiness in pubs. Stick to Guiness Export, sold in bottles, pours a treat and is far more flavoursome.

This week I have mostly been drinking Roaring Meg:

http://www.springhead.co.uk/mod.php?mod=userpage&menu=804&page_id=6

25. blackworx
    Coat

Congrats!

...To all the real ale reactionaries - keep flying the flag!

And why on earth would I want a drink poured for me by a lump of metal instead of a buxom wench, or at the very least a bitter and twisted, yet infinitely more entertaining career barman?

Mine's the leather jerkin with Male Chauvinist Pig painted on the back.

@ Adam Foxton - Hey, Laser lips! Your mother was a snowblower!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Agreed...

...i think i'd rather have Caroline / Carol. I bet she can open beer bottles and load the dishwasher, as well as a lot of other things to boot! (i'll let readers use their own imaginations here)

Maybe the robot could be re-trained to throw beer bottles at the annoying moron in the orange jumper.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Load of crap!

Nothing, absolutely nothing, will replace the beer drinkers favourite of a barmaid who's all tits and legs... especially when they're foreign and are vaguely amused by your drunken regurgitating of corny old chatup lines having never heard them before! Well, it worked on my last (French) missus!

"Get your outer garment from the cloakroom love..."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like