back to article Microsoft lures iOS devs with open-source app tools for Windows 10

Microsoft has made available an early preview version of the Windows Bridge for iOS, the set of developer tools previously known as "Project Islandwood." The tools are just one of several "bridges" that Microsoft announced at its annual Build developer conference in April, designed to lure developers from other platforms to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where have all the SilverLight's gone?

Long time passing.

Oh, when will they ever learn?

With apologies to Pete Seeger may he RIP

2. Charles Manning

For how long?

Microsoft are forever hyping up a new offering, then cutting it off at the knees. About the only exception has been .NET.

My first significant experience of that was on NT3 back in 1995 or so. They offered POSIX support and stream driver support to encourage people to move from the ~$1000 *nix licenses to ~$350 NT licenses. As soon as they got people committed to moving, the POSIX and streams was chopped out.

Microsoft Robotics all mouth, not trousers.

Silverlight...

And I've never been anywhere near web or database development which I'm sure is worse.

So nth time bitten n+1th time shy. Anyone lured in by the MS sirens deserves to be dashed to death on the rocks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For how long?

>>>> Microsoft are forever hyping up a new offering, then cutting it off at the knees. About the only exception has been .NET.

Not sure what the down votes are for, this is bang on. Notice how everyone jumped ship to apple / android / web tech? That's because the MS Dev world became a very, very painful place to be.

Things seem to be more sensible now with SatNad, but people were badly burned.

Personally I think the dev tools teams are as responsible as Sinofsky for the mess SatNad inherited.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My main concern ..

.. is the devastation let loose on the iOS eco system by allowing people coding at Microsoft standards to code for iOS. But then again, I suspect that is the very idea :(. I guess this is the "embrace" stage, but has as potential side effect that it will cannibalise whatever is left of the Windows phone.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only open source Microsoft believes in is your personal data.

Piss right off Satnad and take your grasping greedy software with you.

5. Andrew Tyler 1

Languages

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to programming languages generally--the right tool for the right job and all that, but really can't fathom why anybody actually likes Objective-C and would willingly choose it when there are alternatives. Maybe if I'd put more time into learning it I'd appreciate it more (but why would I do that given its limited uses?), but it really doesn't lend itself to elegance, and also suffers a lot from 'different for the sake of being different' which I worry is Apple's real reasoning in using it.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Languages

'different for the sake of being different' which I worry is Apple's real reasoning in using it.

It came from NeXT and the software tool OpenStep (from NeXTSTEP) when Steve Jobs went back to Apple when they bought the company. Originally it was used by scientists, military and spook types (where up-front cost is not always a primary concern) to write relatively secure GUI stuff using OO in networked *Nix environments. It predated Windows NT, and avoided the insecurity of DOS and earlier versions of Windows. The platform was used by Tim Berners-Lee to create the first web browser (Wikipedia Link).

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like