back to article 'Cilla Black introduced me to my wife on Blind Date': Channel man's heartwarming story

The managing director of an IT distribution outfit who met his wife 28 years ago on Blind Date has paid tribute to the show's host Cilla Black, who passed away yesterday. Lorra lorra love Alex Tatham – MD of Westcoast Limited – and his wife Sue were the first couple to get married after appearing on the show, which ran from …

1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

See icon,

Welcome to The Reg, Hello magazine edition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@6x7=42

Harsh

(a) he's MD of Westcoast

(b) who could pass up the opportunity for the subhead "Re-seller re Cilla" ?!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Well, well.

Cilla Black croaks and there's an IT angle.

Surprise sur-fucking-prise.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Well, well.

I'm more surprised that there were at least two guests on Blind Date who weren't actor-wannabes looking for media credits to put on their CVs...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IT?

She was a National Icon. Close enough.

2. andy gibson

Diana-steria style grief

What's going on with the national outpouring of grief in all the media?

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Diana-steria style grief

It's not the madness that was Diana-grief. That expands like foam and turned out to be as long-lasting. Cilla has been in people's lives, however tangentally, for decades. Like any person associated with one's childhood, she figures larger than her talent. Why all this begrudging of a pleasant minor star's passing being lamented?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Because she had a few hits 50 years ago and did some 2nd rate TV shows in the 80's and 90's.

Still the Liverpool lot love her, because she's one of them....despite not living there for most of her life.

That said, the panto world has one less c-lister to choose from.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Still the Liverpool lot love her, because she's one of them....despite not living there for most of her life.

The Jocks are like that with the greatest living Bahamian, Sean Connery.

If it's so great why do they never live there ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Also Jackie Stewart

1. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

Lets add Tom Jones for the Welsh.

2. Just Enough

"The Jocks are like that with the greatest living Bahamian, Sean Connery."

You'll find that plenty of Scots are happy to point out Sean Connery's failings. He's a bloody actor. A successful one, but nothing more.

1. Pav

I'm Scottish and Sean Connery is a cunt.

2. ckdizz

@Lost all faith...

"Still the Liverpool lot love her, because she's one of them....despite not living there for most of her life."

They don't. They see her as a class traitor that supported the Tories during the period when Thatcher was tearing the industrial heart out of the city. Plenty of Scousers hated her, along with a bunch of 70s and 80s pseudo celebrities that came out of the city and promptly forgot their roots.

By all accounts, she was mean, rude and arrogant too. She was legendary for being horrible to flight crews, runners, waiters and fans. I remember hearing about her being offered tickets to a Liverpool game when she was saying she couldn't get any, and refusing them because they weren't in a box.

3. Tim Jenkins

If you think this is a bit much, just wait 'til Brucie taps his last step...

(heard him on the radio yesterday doing his mandatory tribute bit for CB, and couldn't help thinking he sounded rather suprised it wasn't himself that had left the building ; )

3. Stevie

Bah!

Why is Cilla Black dressed as The Queen Mother?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

I still remember that curious knitwear cape thing and "hat" combo... but have yet to understand...

Jesus!

4. NanoMeter

I've read less than favorable stuff about her. She was a "don't you know who I am?" person.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've read some tittle tattle on the interwibble about that too but never having met her in person it's impossible to form an honest judgement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

This is the internet, no need to be rational, just judge.

1. Antonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Why the "joke alert"?

I bet Paris knows a thing or two about judgemental interwebs -->

5. The Godfather
    Thumb Up

comon peeps

Some miserable gits commenting here and there...nice story so why bitch? And Alex is such a nice bloke too...

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: comon peeps

i agree, although perhaps i'd have used the adjective "sad" rather than "nice"

6. ADRM

Blind Date

The program lives on in a piss take with Whose Line Is It Any Way? Available online and on CW in the USA.

7. Yugguy

So

Now that Our Cilla has become God's Cilla, I expect we'll see her laying waste to the Tokyo skyscrapers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has he forgiven her yet?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like