back to article Dell conjures magic SD card for virtualizing blade server I/O

HP and IBM have some super fancy technology for virtualizing the I/O of their blade systems, and they sell it for thousands of dollars. Dell now has something similar - an SD card that it sells for $499 a pop. Texas-blessed Dell last week started shipping FlexAddress, which is "enabled by a special SD card." By "enabled" and " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Broadhurst

Access time?

I might be missing the point here but I didnt think that an SD card had a great access time. Granted its a "special" one but come on?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SD card access...

SD cards are not that bad on access time. One can but hope that Dell stumped for some of the 133x Lexar ones.

:-)

3. Peyton

@Access time

I've not used one of these systems, but I would guess the SD card is read when the blade chassis is brought up and that's it... I don't think that's going to cause any sort of performance bottleneck...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Access time

SD Card is used just for activation, not for use in the data path.

5. Todd Muirhead

Web Chat Transcript on FlexAddress

We hosted a web chat with some of the FlexAddress experts here at Dell last week. The transcript is located here -

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/06-24-08+Flexible+Blades+Management+Features+Web+Chat

The question of access time is addressed in the chat and the previous comments are correct about it just being used to initially get FlexAddress going - and not on an ongoing basis.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like