back to article Wanted: beta testers for El Reg’s Android app

Dear Reg reader. Do you have an Android phone? Maybe you downloaded our Android App? Found it wanting - a lot? Help us make it better by joining our beta testers group. it is easy-peasy although you do need a G+ account. 1. Apply to join the private G+ community group El Reg Alpha Test. 2. Once accepted you can download the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a start but....

Your windows phone app, when are you going to sort that?

And will we need a G+ account for that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a start but....

Much less takeup for Windows Phone app compared with Android and iPhone. This simply isn't a priority for us - but if a plucky reader wants to take up the banner we will do everything we can to help.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

The windows phone app mostly works I can read the articles but it's just that I have to open a browser to explode in splenetic rage offer my personal opinion in the forum.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given that Microsoft is apparently going to support running Android apps on Windows phones, why should the Reg or indeed anyone write actual Windows apps for the phone any longer? Its the OS/2 story in reverse...

2. Thecowking

I'm in!

All signed up and logged in, I'd have put the comment in through the app (which is a lot faster and smoother!) but that's apparently not supported yet.

Still, it's a lot faster than the old app.

1. Joseph Eoff
      Joke

Re: I'm in!

Well OF COURSE it is fast. It doesn't actually do anything yet.

An algorithm can be blazingly fast if you don't convern yourself with little things like proper function.

3. tony2heads

Before I sign up

What permissions will it want?

What does it give above a browser link?

How bloated is it?

1. Thecowking

Re: Before I sign up

Permissions are network access and to see network interfaces, the application is taking up 8 mb (not including article data, which will vary clearly)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No permissions - articles in full - offline reading - not bloated.

1. Joe Drunk

I too have been disappointed with apps for news sites as I have found them bloated, slower loading than the mobile websites and typically, far more ads.

I was about to ask what advantages there were to the app over m.theregister - you just answered my question. The offline reading is a definite plus.

I do hope, however, that m.theregister doesn't get neglected as a result of development on this app.

1. gribbler

"I do hope, however, that m.theregister doesn't get neglected as a result of development on this app."

I use m.theregister every day (I really don't see any point to apps for news sites) and it would be hard to see how it could be any more neglected! I haven't seen it change for years and most of the quick links at the bottom are broken.

I would love to see this mobile site updated (instead of the app) or better yet, el reg could go all modern and make their main site responsive. That would brighten up my (admittedly rather sad and boring) life!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Before I sign up

I also use m.thereg on my phone. I have not noticed broken links for related stories at bottom of articles - has anyone else?

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"I do hope, however, that m.theregister doesn't get neglected"

I hope it does. As it's working just fine.

"most of the quick links at the bottom are broken."

Haven't found any.

2. phil dude
        Thumb Up

this +1000000.

Android has crap security - make your app need no permissions, and if we login to comment (which I am thinking I might not), make the credentials independent of the device.

Oh and make the update schedule custom - e.g. "only on Wifi, or NEVER".

P.

4. gribbler

Why?

I have up using apps for news sites a few years ago as they don't really offer any advantage over a browser. Can't you just update m.theregister? Better yet make the www site responsive?

1. Thecowking

Re: Why?

Offline caching of articles for those of us who commute through the unlinked wilderness.

Or El reg could make 3g 100% coverage in the UK, I'd settle for that too :P

1. Oh Matron!

There's an app for that. It's called Pocket. Very good it is too.

But, I hear your woe.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

LocalStorage!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

this isn't for the likes of you

Responsive is the way to go - and we are prepping - but there is a ton of work for us involved. But in the meantime...

Functionally, m.theregister.co.uk has just about everything that www. has - so I am not sure what needs updating.

On apps - plenty of people like to read via apps, especially for offline reading. So if we - or our readers - can facilitate this, then why not?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Meh

Re: this isn't for the likes of you

Mobile doesn't show icons, doesn't let you put an icon on your post, and doesn't let you edit...

1. Vector

Re: this isn't for the likes of you

"Mobile doesn't show icons, doesn't let you put an icon on your post, and doesn't let you edit..."

That would be a deficiency in the coding of the mobile website, not a requirement for developing an app.

I'm with the many other voices here; dump the mobile apps and concentrate on the mobile website. If people want offline reading, I suspect a little thought could make that possible from the mobile website (it is all just data, ya know).

4. Spacedman
      FAIL

I think the only reason news sites like to have an app version is because they are still surfing on the "There's an app for that" buzz from the old iPhone launch however many years ago, and there's an expectation of appyness, and branding, and Siobhan from Perfect Curve suggested it.

But mostly...

Because....

Your ad blocker will not be able to block ads in a news site's app.

5. jemmyww

You know what'd be better and less work? Making the website work well on small screens. I won't be using your app, not because I dislike apps but because I read the headlines via an RSS app and use the links to read the articles.

The other thing you could do is include the whole article in the RSS feed. Then I can read it without leaving that one centralised app, and the formatting is generalised. Which is nice.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can it make bacon?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You should have just called it "Register 10" and not mentioned the bugs until we found them then forced updates on us to fix them.

8. Bob H

Newsblur

Or just use RSS feeds and NewsBlur.com like I do...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

App installed by default

Called the browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: App installed by default -> the browser.

Yes ... firefox's reading list works just fine offline. I suppose having to manually download interesting articles and press the rl button might be very slightly annoying, but it's better than using an "app" :) And it works for most every site.

10. Irongut
    FAIL

you do need a G+ account

I would love to beta test the new Reg Android app and as a developer I can probably help more than most but I will not join Google+ (or FB, etc) for anyone. You have your own forums you can use for feedback so why ignore them and insist on being assimilated by Google?

Oh and while we're talking about apps, your Win8 / Metro / WinRT / whatever we're supposed to call them now app sucks bear balls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you do need a G+ account

Oh come on, you can't very well ride the trendy, appy, social wave without requiring a social sign-in. At least they didn't use facebook.

1. Something Witty

Actually.. The G+ requirement is forced by Google. As the app is not publicly available on the play store, Google have decided that the "Correct" way to manage access is to use a G+ community.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yet MS can release their own launcher beta as an apk download from OneDrive?

For a publication so intent on (rightfully) lambasting Google+, you'd think they wouldn't drink the kool-aid so readily.

Considering el Reg's readership is technical folks by nature, potential beta testers wouldn't be afraid to check that "...unknown sources" box.

I'm not trying this because fuck google+, but when the red in my vision subsides, I'm back to asking: what's wrong with the desktop aite? It's rendered fantastically on android for several years.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It's not as if we don't have an El Reg login, why can't a request to join the alpha (very cutting edge) and link to the apk be put on one of the profile pages?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dan 55

And thus opening up the whole "installing from unknown sources" can of worms?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

We're all grown ups here and we know what that means, don't we?

3. heyrick Silver badge

The requirement of G+ is a dealbreaker for me too.

Shame there can't be a "here's the APK, have fun" link on El Reg itself, along with a forum here for discussing the software. And don't talk to me about "unknown sources" - for anybody involved in a beta test ought to know how to turn that off, and anyway it isn't as if Google exactly curates the applications on Google Play - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/22/android_malware_badnews/

I guess, then, I'll wait until the release version is available.

11. Andy 73 Silver badge

So...

Just for a short while, my app has more regular users than the total download of the Reg's offering.

Pity I can't get any decent money from it.

12. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well I'm in but why is it a G+/alpha release, Microsoft let anyone download their alpha release OS without having to sign up with Google.

13. batfastad
    Meh

Apps

Meh.

14. Nate Amsden

not working well for me

(oops sorry ignore this comment, I was using the old app not the new one)

15. Lutter

Layout improvement suggestion

That perpetually rotating thing at the bottom of the current app, I would not mind losing it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like